Do cats ever forget how to use the litterbox?

helly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet called today to follow up on Josh and nearly had a heart attack when I told her I'd been letting him go outside to pee. She said absolutely no outside... even if it's only for an hour because with his open area the risk of maggots is extremely high.

He was litterbox trained for the first 1 1/2 years of his life, but has been going outside now for nearly two years. I did away with the litterbox completely and both my cats go outside to do their *business*. I don't even own a litterbox anymore!

So I had to buy one today, of course. The last thing I want is maggots... and I'm sure Josh would agree if he could understand, but he wants no part of the litterbox I bought. It's a nice one.. all covered for privacy...even has a door flap, which I took off because he didn't seem to understand how to get in at first. JJ thought it was a little house for him.

I figure he knows what it is and he just doesn't have to go that bad yet... but will use it when he does, but he's crying to get outside and I keep redirecting him to the box.

So ya'll think he'll eventually use it?

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet suggested removing the top of my litterbox since cats normally SLEEP in 'caves' and poop in the 'open'. Maybe you can leave the top off for a while so he can get used to it.

As for forgetting to use a litter box, I don't think they can. I rescued a cat that had been a stray for five years and she was SO neat and clean about using the litter box. He should be fine! But he may be angry at not being able to get outside...he may have an 'accident' or two before getting into using it. >_>;

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually have taken the top off... he just keeps meowing to go outside.

He's more of an inside cat than he is an outside cat, thank God. If it was his brother that I had to keep inside I'd have a serious problem on my hands. He seriously has S.A.D. Absolutely loves to be outside.

Josh has decided to give up and go to sleep... hopefully for the night.

I'll let you know how he makes out with the box!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe contain him in a small room (bathroom,bedroom) so he has no real choice but to use the box. Also if any of his droppings are outside try putting some in the litterbox to encourage that this is the place to go.

helly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by helly

I actually have taken the top off... he just keeps meowing to go outside.

He's more of an inside cat than he is an outside cat, thank God. If it was his brother that I had to keep inside I'd have a serious problem on my hands. He seriously has S.A.D. Absolutely loves to be outside.

Josh has decided to give up and go to sleep... hopefully for the night.

I'll let you know how he makes out with the box!
Well, he woke up at 3:30am and meowed until it was time for me to actually wake up. I got up several times and he would run over to the sliding doors as he normally does when he wants to go out, except this time I picked him up and put him in the box. He just jumped out.
I did this several times and then turned around and went back to sleep. All the while, of course, telling him he couldn't go outside.

How long can they hold it until they absolutely have to go? It's already been 24 hours at this point since he's voided.

helly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The eagle has landed!

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop? Or in other words... how long can a cat hold it's bladder? 24 hours.

Josh hopped in his box this morning!! After he was traumatized of course... I had just given him his dose of antibiotics.... but hey, whatever it takes!

I think he's going to need another week of antibiotics, but I don't want to have to bring him back to the vet for that, so maybe when I talk to her tomorrow she'll just have me come over and pick up another weeks worth. We'll see.

Goodnight!

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rocket was up in a tree for a day and a night. When I got him down, the first thing he wanted to do was eat. The second thing he wanted to do was pee. I don't know how long it was, but I think longer than 24 hours. Normally he only pees twice a day. But occasionally it's only been once. So if he had nothing to eat or drink, producing less than normal urine, I can easily see where a cat can go 24 hours or longer.

I'm glad he remembered how to use the box.