Do Calicos Hate Being Picked Up? Mine Doesn't Like It At All.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do it anyway now and then till she squirms or cries cause we have to see the vet now and then. I've read that Calicos do not enjoy being picked up. Hey its just a coloring and should not affect behavior? I always let cats stand on their back feet when I'm holding them, and would never do the one -arm -grasp and hold like I've seen people do. Arrgh I'd hate that also!
She comes from feral stock so maybe thats part of it. Very loving overall otherwise and at three yrs old still nurses my neck. She was taken from Momma at 4 weeks old.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
My calico doesn’t mind being picked up, but I’ve had her since she was a kitten so she’s used to it. In fact, she follows me into the bathroom in the morning and waits for me to pick her up and put her on the counter for treats. It’s not that she couldn’t jump up herself, but that she’s decided that’s the way it will be. Quirky little girl! :)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it has anything to do with coloring; some cats simply hate being picked up, while others don't mind it or love it. We see differences in litter mates at the shelter, so it's probably not even a question of what they got used to as kittens.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People always joke about calicos and torties having a bad attitude, or "torti-tude" but there isn't much chance that a random coat coloring or pattern has much to do with their behavior. Ironically the only cat I ever had who hated being held was a semi-feral street cat found in a dumpster who screamed if anyone came near here. Had her for 15 years and held her maybe 5 times.

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My new kitten is a tortoiseshell (someone else mentioned both them and calicos can have a "bad" attitude), and she is a huge lovebug who wants to be cuddled and held all the time! She gets so relaxed and purrs so loud when held.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My calico had no issues with being picked up. On the other hand my tortie, Feeby, hates it with a passion. She will allow it, but has to protest with a 'squawk'. She is really not combative about it, just wants her opinion to be known that being picked up was NOT her idea. She also loves lap naps and pettings - when it is of her choosing!

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two 3 year old Calicos and both of them HATE to be picked up. Each one of my lady's will follow you around and beg you to rub and scratch their necks and backs several times a day, but do NOT try to pick them up. They will "twist and shout" until a person is more than happy to put them down.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Patches is a cali-torti and she loves it to be picked up. She also loves laying and sleeping on my chest. She puts her head on my shoulder and licks my ear and face... purring away!

All really depends on how/if they were handled as kittens.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My torbie doesn't mind being picked up as long as you don't hold her for too long. I think that she got used to being held while she was at the cat cafe; she'd get into trouble and need to be fished out of places she shouldn't be so often, she just got used to it! :lol:

Even when she wants down, she doesn't bite or anything, just squirms. Gotta watch out for her back claws, though. She's not very careful with them and she might scratch you even if she doesn't mean to.