Do Antibiotics Make Cats Sleepy??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well today Lucky went back to the vet to get her checkup so the cloudiness is gone but she still has inflammation in her ears. The vet gave her a steroid instead of an antibiotic because he doesn’t want to compromise her immune system. I asked why she is still shaking her head at times & he said it could be because of the inflammation. I’m hoping this is it & we are all better!

She hated the ride to the vet because it was pouring rain so she just buried her face in my lap while my hubby drove. Once she got home she wanted all the treats (we moved on to Wellness Brand) & then go outside but it was pouring so that didn’t happen.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well today Lucky went back to the vet to get her checkup so the cloudiness is gone but she still has inflammation in her ears. The vet gave her a steroid instead of an antibiotic because he doesn’t want to compromise her immune system. I asked why she is still shaking her head at times & he said it could be because of the inflammation. I’m hoping this is it & we are all better!

She hated the ride to the vet because it was pouring rain so she just buried her face in my lap while my hubby drove. Once she got home she wanted all the treats (we moved on to Wellness Brand) & then go outside but it was pouring so that didn’t happen.
She could have a food sensitivity or allergy. We were chasing ear problems with Krista for a long time. I stopped giving her tuna flakes and she stopped shaking her head and scratching at her ear. Now I can tell when she’s found some that evaded my cleaning. I sprinkled them about her environment so much that they’re like cat glitter now. And I have a cat glitter detector. 😹

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She could have a food sensitivity or allergy. We were chasing ear problems with Krista for a long time. I stopped giving her tuna flakes and she stopped shaking her head and scratching at her ear. Now I can tell when she’s found some that evaded my cleaning. I sprinkled them about her environment so much that they’re like cat glitter now. And I have a cat glitter detector. 😹
I was thinking maybe it could be that too because we introduced Blue Buffalo Hairball control food into her diet before this all happened. She was also eating Temptations treats a mixed variety. We cut both out (she somehow found an old one in our pantry lol) & she now just eating the Blue Buffalo food she had been eating for years along with Wellness treats. We’ll see how she does in the coming weeks.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are things going?
Hi! Well the steroid will be done on Wednesday so we’ll see how things go after that. She is still shaking her head some days more than others. Still hasn’t jumped up high yet she thinks about it but nothing. I did see her stand up on her hind legs without leaning on something to swat at these flowers I have so that’s good! My hubby says she might’ve jumped up on the bed from the floor (we have a very high bed) this morning but he isn’t 100% (I leave the drawers under the bed open so she can hop up to sleep with us) The day she decides to jump up on the kitchen island I think I’m going to scream with joy lol! I’m on a call the vet again & see if he ants to see her again so he can look at the inflammation. I’m hoping this is the end of the ear troubles. Thanks for checking in it really means a lot to me!

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You and your sweetie are special ❣
So shortly after my post we went to bed & Lucky jumped up on the bed from the floor it wasnt as effortless as it use to be but she didn’t fall & landed on feet. I tried to get her to jump on the kitchen island this morning but nope still it there she wants to but it’s going to take time.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I called the vet up today & I guess the steroid lasts 2 months not 2 weeks like I had thought. So we still have some time to go I’m hoping it’s just on & upward from here. Today she jumped in my hubby’s trailer that has a welder on it but was unable to get out she tried to jump up but fell backward. The vet said it’s different with every cat it’s all about time with this condition.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What an incredible cat!
So just figured I’d give an update on Lucky which is still the same still no jumping high. I try to encourage her to do it but she doesn’t. She still has the head tilt as well. I’m feeling a bit discouraged that she‘LL never jump again literally everyday I pray that I will see her jump on the kitchen island but nothing. I ordered her some stairs so she can get up high we’ll see if she uses them lol. I’m hoping they come in & she just starts jumping I wouldn’t even care I wasted money lol

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that Lucky's still not quite back to their old self. It's been a month, and it is possible there is still a bit of infection lingering. It's also possible she's a bit freaked out about jumping still.

LOL @ wasted money. Isn't that often the way of it.

You could always give the Vet a call and see if she needs a follow up? Or if they suggested it will still take some more time?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m hoping they come in & she just starts jumping I wouldn’t even care I wasted money lol
Hi! Hang in there, I believe time might be your friend here. I think you don't know absolutely yet if this really is her new normal. It could be by this time next year she won't have any lingering effects :)

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that Lucky's still not quite back to their old self. It's been a month, and it is possible there is still a bit of infection lingering. It's also possible she's a bit freaked out about jumping still.

LOL @ wasted money. Isn't that often the way of it.

You could always give the Vet a call and see if she needs a follow up? Or if they suggested it will still take some more time?
I actually called the vet last week they like us to call weekly to give updates & they said every cat is different healing from this. It was a pretty severe case & they didn’t catch on it was an ear infection till a month ago. I just feel so terrible seeing her want to jump but she can’t it breaks my heart!

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Hang in there, I believe time might be your friend here. I think you don't know absolutely yet if this really is her new normal. It could be by this time next year she won't have any lingering effects :)
Very true. I know patience is everything with this too & im the worst at being patient lol

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So quick update on Lucky tonight my hubby was chasing her around playing with her (it’s cold outside now so she is mostly inside) & she jumped up on our bar stools!!!! I was screaming YAY lol!!! She was just sitting there looking very proud then jumped down. Then about 10 min later she jumped up on the bar stools again!!!! This is the highest she had jumped so it’s defiantly a big deal! She was playing with her brother on the chairs but is now just laying there like she use to do. Next jump should be the kitchen island she has about 6 more inches to go!

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sending good thoughts to Lucky this holiday season!!
Thank you so much!!! Luckys progress has pretty much stayed the same. She did climb a tree & scarred the life out of me! I’m getting a bit concerned as the past 2 nights she has had small coughing fits (just 2 so far) they don’t last for more than a few seconds not sure if it’s a hair ball or something to be concerned about given her history. I’m going to call the vet tomorrow to see if we should bring her in it’s almost time to have her seen anyway as her steroid Will be worn off soon. I really hope it’s nothing to be worried about