Do Antibiotics Make Cats Sleepy??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So as I said, Krista was going through a lot of other things at the time. The drool in the picture was from dental extractions. If you look to the lower right corner, you might be able to make out the IV sticking out of her arm. She was hospitalized for ten days in January with liver enzymes off the charts, a pancreatitis flare-up, and dental pain. She's had recurring ear infections. While cleaning out her ears since she was sedated, I guess the gunk got pushed too far or something else happened. I'm not pointing fingers at the Dr because I know she would never mean to do something like this.

Now months later, I discovered she has food sensitivities that present themselves like ear infections. When the problem food is removed, the ears clear up. I can only comment on behavior. She won't let me look in her ears so I can't say for sure. But she used to shake her head and scratch at her ear. Now she doesn't. If I give her egg or fish flakes, the head shake and scratching returns.

Here's a home remedy that gave Krista's ear relief. Ask your vet about this before you try it. It may not be appropriate in your case. Whenever Krista got the head shakes, it sounded like her ear was filled up with fluid. Again, I can't tell you what it looked like because she never let me look in there. Even touching the base of that ear would set off a head shake. When her ear got like this, I would brew up a cup of chamomile tea and let it cool again. To that, I would add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. I used a cotton ball or make-up removal square to soak up some of this tea and gently press out a few drops into the top of her ear and let it drip or have her shake it on in. As much as she didn't like this, it brought her quick relief. The head shaking and scratching would settle down. The fluid sound in her ear would disappear with a couple of treatments. Chamomile has anti-microbial properties and it is also soothing to the ear tissues. The apple cider vinegar also has anti-microbial properties. If you were prescribed drops, use those. But if you think she could use something extra between drops, ask your vet if you can make and administer this ear tea for her.

I don't really remember the timeframe of her recovery. I'm sure I documented that over the course of the thread.

I haven't read your thread through yet. Is her vertigo a result of an injury? If it's expected to heal on its own, I'm sure it will. It will just take time. In the meantime, I can't talk you out of worrying about her or wanting to coddle her. But I will say she will heal faster being allowed to make the jumps she wants to make. She'll learn and adjust. Just like a baby learning how to walk, she's going to fall sometimes. She'll get there.
Oh my poor thing. I don’t know how you stayed sane though all of that I give you so much credit. I would’ve fallen apart.

Her ears don’t seem to be sensitive when I touch them but she won’t let us get in there to get a look. She’s didnt shake her head that much today I noticed it maybe 3 times total. I’ll definatly ask the vet about the drops for the ears I have read some other threads on here that suggested that too because it was so effective.

Today she had a really great day she was outside running around the yard with her brother. I haven’t seen her run that fast since she got sick 18 days ago. She would try to run but just fall over so I think it felt nice for her to be able to run & not fall because she kept chasing him all around. She tried to jump on our boat steps but wasn’t able to make it to the third step. I just keep encouraging her & am trying to be really happy around her which maybe had something to do with her mood being so active today.

So her vertigo just started out of the blue one night in bed she couldn’t stand up it was awful we rushed her to the ER. I’m not sure if there was an injury we never saw her hurt herself in front of us & she wasn’t acting any different before the episode. I mean hours before she had the vertigo she was playing with her brother on our dining room chairs. She has a history of respiratory infections which we took her the beginning of August to the vet because she was making a coughing sound which the vet said could be the start of a respiratory infection but he didn’t think it was since he didn’t hear any congestion. Her vet also said the ear infection could’ve brought on the vertigo we noticed she would shake her head & twitch her ears at times.

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me & making me feel sane. I really really appreciate it!

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LuckyGirl82 you might try ginkgo biloba extract (leaf) (vitamin shop) for your anxiety, it is always tough when cat gets ill, and it did help with my anxiety. Only twice a day with breakfast and lunch (120 mg.) did the trick. It is sold primarily for memory and circulation but there have been scientific studies that it helps with anxiety. From my personal experience there were no bad side effects and it sure calmed me down. Don't worry cat will eventually get well again, sometimes just seems to take too long. Good idea you treat yourself very well now too, maybe even buy yourself some cheerful flowers and take warm bath. I love how you love your cat so!!! Cat will get better, we're keeping our paws crossed!
Thank you I’m defiantly going to try & find something. I suffered from anxiety & panic attacks many many years ago & I tried it all. While it’s not as bad as it was I still am going to get something to help. I have camomile perfume but that did nothing for me lol.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my poor thing. I don’t know how you stayed sane though all of that I give you so much credit. I would’ve fallen apart.
It was entirely her. I did fall apart many many times. But even that drooling, droopy face did her very wobbly best to cross the exam table and climb into my lap for strokes and scratches twice a day during her hospital stay. With everything she's been through, she still wants to ride my belly several times a night for her share of strokes and scratches. She's the tough one! And the softy. :D

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was entirely her. I did fall apart many many times. But even that drooling, droopy face did her very wobbly best to cross the exam table and climb into my lap for strokes and scratches twice a day during her hospital stay. With everything she's been through, she still wants to ride my belly several times a night for her share of strokes and scratches. She's the tough one! And the softy. :D
She sure does sound like a tough one!! I was finally able to get some sleep last night & I left the house today to do some shopping. Lucky has been in & out all day it’s pretty chilly here today so she’s staying indoor a bit more & relaxing. She’s eating & grooming herself so I’m not getting worrying (okay maybe just a touch I can’t help it lol) I’m just acting very happy in front of her & showing her lots of attention so it helps her spirits!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
awww, dang, almost made me weepy :cloud9:. What a cat!!

. :yess:

:thumbsup:. :rock: :sunshine:
awww, dang, almost made me weepy :cloud9:. What a cat!!

. :yess:

:thumbsup:. :rock: :sunshine:
So of course after I post how I’m worried about Lucky not going out so much today she gets up & wants to go out lol! She came in ate her wet food & was given her Amoxicillin. Tonight is the first night without the Meclizine & I’m a bit scared. I’m crossing my fingers she doesn’t need it anymore so I’ll keep you all posted. Hopefully I’ll get some more sleep tonight.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well Lucky has been off the Meclizine for over 24 hours now & she seems to be fine. I didn’t get much sleep last night because I was worried about how this morning was going to be. But we came downstairs at about 6 & she got up from the couch ate the wet food & was then meowing & begging at the door to go outside. She’s now outside sitting hunting for birds (she never catches them lol)

I’m hoping tomorrow will be good as I planned on going out to get some work stuff done! Last week when I tried to do this she wouldn’t even eat & was throwing up. I’m hoping this Monday will be different! Fingers crossed

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is wonderful to hear!! GO baby girl!!
We are still going strong overs here without the Meclizine. It got Rainey outside so she was in & resting a bit Korea but popping out on the porch a few times throughout the day. She still just have the ear infection because she is shaking her head now & then. Her head is also still tilted which I know both things can take a while to get better.

I’m hoping we continue without the Meclizine & we are still on the uphill path tomorrow.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we are on day 2 without Meclizine & we are still good. Her balance still isn’t the best with jumping but I’m hoping over time this improves the more the inner ear infection clears up. She is defiantly acting more like her old self with begging to go outside & pacing around the house.

I left the house today for about half the day to get work stuff done & she was left alone. It terrified me but when we got home she was at the door ready to go out. So I feel a bit better about going out now.

We still have another week of the Orbax & then I defiantly want to take her into the vet to get her ears checked out before the meds are done. I was reading it can take 2-4 months for inner ear infections to clear up.

Keep sending this positive vibes they are doing us so much good over here! Thank you!!!

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh sweetie, your mama loves you, and so do we :vibes::sunshine:
We still are going strong over here without the Meclizine no new progress on the balance it’s still the same. She slept a bit more today but it was kinda chilly out & all the cars were in & out. Stillness praying we are going uphill & this will all just be over. Thank you again for all your support & being here for us!

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So tonight is the last night of the Amoxicillin for Lucky & then we have 2 more days of the Orbax I’m getting anxiety about her not being on the medication soon but we are going back to the vet Wednesday to get the ears rechecked. She is defiantly acting like her old self by wanting to go outside all day instead of laying on the couch sleeping. We bought her Blue Buffalo treats today & OMG did she go crazy for them! I’m still hoping her coordination will get better we still are not able to jump high. Here’s hoping everything goes well off the antibiotics & the vet says she is looking good!

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Absolutely, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!!
So last night was the last of Lucky antibiotics & im very very nervous! She seems to be just fine this morning she ate & is outside right now. Still unable to jump she tried to climb a tree but lost her balance (she was very low to the ground) so no jumping yet. I can’t wait for the day she can jump again. I’ll keep you guys update on what the vet says Wednesday