Do Antibiotics Make Cats Sleepy??

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course the minute after I posted this she does the cough thing for 3 seconds ugh.
HUGS XO

I swear this is a kitty "are you on your toes, Mommy?" thing. Every time I post something is starting (or say it out loud) to go really well - it inevitably goes sideways. Now I say. We're doing "okay". lol try to avoid anything else - though sometimes I fail as I get really excited.

The other things that happens 50% of the time. I decide one of them has to go to the Vet. Magically all better. (That's kinda good though.)

I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom - this is still much improved! :-) XOXOXO Hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HUGS XO

I swear this is a kitty "are you on your toes, Mommy?" thing. Every time I post something is starting (or say it out loud) to go really well - it inevitably goes sideways. Now I say. We're doing "okay". lol try to avoid anything else - though sometimes I fail as I get really excited.

The other things that happens 50% of the time. I decide one of them has to go to the Vet. Magically all better. (That's kinda good though.)

I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom - this is still much improved! :-) XOXOXO Hang in there!
I completely agree with you!!! We took her to the vet when she started to do the coughing thing & the vet said she was fine he didn’t hear anything abnormal. Days later I mention she hasn’t done that coughing thing sure enough she starts sneezing! I’m like nope I’m not saying anything anymore of course I mention she hasn’t sneezed all day yesterday & then she starts sneezing again!!!! I’m like come on!!!!
She is still sneezing which is really making me worry I was up most of the night checking on her. She is fine otherwise eating, drinking, going to the bathroom & randomly running around the house. It’s just the sneezing that will not go away. Her Convenia injection is done on Saturday so I’m hoping she isn’t sneezing after that because that means another trip to the vet to see what else it could be. This poor cat can’t catch a break with the vestibular episode in Sept & now this! She just started to jump high again this morning she actually jumped up on our bed from the floor without pulling herself up.
Fingers crossed we start to improve over here but I’m not getting my hopes up at all. Thank you all for listening to me & giving me encouragement. Have a wonderful holiday!!!!

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope things calm down for you both!!
Ugh well now Lucky just started breathing with her mouth open for a minute while purring. I’m ready to go to the ER Vet & my hubby says it’s just her nose being stuffy. She sneezed & then stopped the open mouth breathing. She is eating like normal but now I’m even more worried! I emailed the vet of course they are closed but I’m hoping to get in Thursday morning to have her checked again.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely agree with you!!! We took her to the vet when she started to do the coughing thing & the vet said she was fine he didn’t hear anything abnormal. Days later I mention she hasn’t done that coughing thing sure enough she starts sneezing! I’m like nope I’m not saying anything anymore of course I mention she hasn’t sneezed all day yesterday & then she starts sneezing again!!!! I’m like come on!!!!
She is still sneezing which is really making me worry I was up most of the night checking on her. She is fine otherwise eating, drinking, going to the bathroom & randomly running around the house. It’s just the sneezing that will not go away. Her Convenia injection is done on Saturday so I’m hoping she isn’t sneezing after that because that means another trip to the vet to see what else it could be. This poor cat can’t catch a break with the vestibular episode in Sept & now this! She just started to jump high again this morning she actually jumped up on our bed from the floor without pulling herself up.
Fingers crossed we start to improve over here but I’m not getting my hopes up at all. Thank you all for listening to me & giving me encouragement. Have a wonderful holiday!!!!
Yes, whisper any progress - never let them hear you *Whispers at you*

XOXOXO I think it's going well. Remember that Convenia injections have their own side effects so part of this could be from that.

Eating, pooping, peeing all good signs. Pulling herself up - also good.

Happy holidays to you as well.

XOXOXO

Ugh well now Lucky just started breathing with her mouth open for a minute while purring. I’m ready to go to the ER Vet & my hubby says it’s just her nose being stuffy. She sneezed & then stopped the open mouth breathing. She is eating like normal but now I’m even more worried! I emailed the vet of course they are closed but I’m hoping to get in Thursday morning to have her checked again.
How did the breathing sound? Does her chest look okay when she's breathing? Distress will be rapid chest breathing - you'll know as it will be a struggle.

If she is stuffy, one thing I did for one of mine was locked them inside the bathroom with me. Shower full blast on hot and gave us a "steam room" to help the congestion. That helped open her up.

Edit to add: the one time it did make her cough more so what I did was multiple short sessions about 20 -30 minutes apart.

Last edited:

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, whisper any progress - never let them hear you *Whispers at you*

XOXOXO I think it's going well. Remember that Convenia injections have their own side effects so part of this could be from that.

Eating, pooping, peeing all good signs. Pulling herself up - also good.

Happy holidays to you as well.

XOXOXO

How did the breathing sound? Does her chest look okay when she's breathing? Distress will be rapid chest breathing - you'll know as it will be a struggle.

If she is stuffy, one thing I did for one of mine was locked them inside the bathroom with me. Shower full blast on hot and gave us a "steam room" to help the congestion. That helped open her up.
So while she had that open mouth episode I didn’t hear any wheezing or anything she had actually just hopped up on my husbands lap & he was petting her so she was purring. She did sneeze after the open mouth episode so I’m not sure if it was the purring aggravating something. Her chest looked fine & she didn’t appear to be gasping for breath. The best way I can describe how she looked is when a cat sniffs something & then picks its head up with its mouth open. Her eyes were closed during the episode. Her nose has been runny I’ve been seeing wetness in the corner & when she sniffs I can hear her congestion. After the episode she laid on my husband for a bit then got down to eat dry food like nothing happened.

She’s had this Convenia shot for respiratory infections previously & it’s always cleared up the next day so I think that’s why I’m freaking out because this time around it seems to not be doing anything for her. I’ve been googling like a idiot & I’m seeing all these scary things like nasal polyps, Heartworm & cancer & my mind is just going to the worst possibly scenario.

Of course the vet is closed tomorrow I did email them I know sometimes he checks the emails so I’m hoping he gets back to me. I’m going to try the steam room idea to see if it helps her. Thank you! I’m a nervous wreck over here.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Google is helpful but it can be scary too. She's been getting a lot of good care from you and the Vet. She's in excellent hands with you.

Yes, do try the steam room, I edited the post a bit while you were responding to add this:

Edit to add: the one time it did make her cough more so what I did was multiple short sessions about 20 -30 minutes apart.

So if she does have a bit of trouble breathing in the warm air and coughs a lot at first, you can try the above for a bit.

Make sure you are looking after yourself too! Remember - exhaustion won't help either of you. XOXOXOXO

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape:

Last edited:

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Google is helpful but it can be scary too. She's been getting a lot of good care from you and the Vet. She's in excellent hands with you.

Yes, do try the steam room, I edited the post a bit while you were responding to add this:

So if she does have a bit of trouble breathing in the warm air and coughs a lot at first, you can try the above for a bit.

Make sure you are looking after yourself too! Remember - exhaustion won't help either of you. XOXOXOXO

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape: :heartshape:
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Well I was able to get a bit of sleep last night Lucky didnt sleep on the bed last night so the kitty sneezes didn’t keep me up.

We just gave her some wet food this morning & right after eating she had a pretty long sneeze attack with clearish boogers coming out. Do you think it’s a good thing she is getting everything out??

I really wish the vet were open today& he didn’t email me back either

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Merry Christmas to you too! XO

I remember, more than once. with more than one cat, sleeping on a floor to see if they were okay. Every noise they made *Boom!* Insta-wake. So I'm glad you were able to get some rest last night.

I'm thinking along people lines, but one would think, clear discharge would be good (no infection) and getting it out would also be a positive! :cool:

XOXOXOXOX

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Merry Christmas to you too! XO

I remember, more than once. with more than one cat, sleeping on a floor to see if they were okay. Every noise they made *Boom!* Insta-wake. So I'm glad you were able to get some rest last night.

I'm thinking along people lines, but one would think, clear discharge would be good (no infection) and getting it out would also be a positive! :cool:

XOXOXOXOX
Oh yes I’ve actually been through that with this cat when she came home from the vet sedated. I took my couch cushions & laid with her. I don’t think I slept for weeks when she first got sick. I actually didn’t leave my house for a month because I was so scared to leave her alone thank god I work from home.

Well she had a few more sneezing fits all with that clear/white discharge I got a picture of it for the vet. She hasn’t had a sneezing fit for a while but she has been sleeping near our wood stove for most of the day now. I’m a little concerned about her energy level today but I’m just going to keep monitoring her. I’m hoping to get her in with the vet (again!) tomorrow to see why Convenia didn’t work this time. I hate to keep giving her medication as I don’t want to compromise her immune system but then I don’t want to ignore the sneezing & it develops into something serious. I feel like when I call the vet they think I’m this nervous nelly so they kinda brush me off so I’m having my hubby call lol. I’d rather be safe than sorry.

Hopefully we will have a Christmas miracle over here & she will just stop sneezing & start running around! I will keep you all posted!! ❤