Do Allergies Get Worse With Increased Stress?

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My beautiful Lovey died two days ago. He was sick with cancer since October but acting healthy until the past week or two so I had to have him euthanized.
My other cat, Ruby, is allergic to basically everything. I've had him tested and he had tons of environmental allergies and food allergies. He overgrooms and scratches himself until he's covered with multiple large bloody raw areas all over his skin.
I've changed his food so there's nothing in the food he gets that he's allergic to. I give him atopica twice a week for itchiness and allergy injections on every two weeks. It's taken a long time to work up to that regimen.

He hates medication and hides and stress drools and I have to be sneaky about preparing it or he'll hide for over a day. He's hard to get injections into because he's thinking and he'll run while the needle is in.

He's also never been an only cat before. I found him starving next to a busy road at three months old. At the time my mom had recently died and I inherited her cats do had six cats. I didn't want another but he was a starving kitten.
He's used to having a bunch of other cats to play with. He's been devastated each time my other cats have died. He and Lovey bonded right from the start and used to be the dynamic duo that ganged up on the other cats. They were the bad gangster cats that were frankly very sweet and loving with me, but absolute jerks to the other cats.
My huge cat Mandy just would cuff them each one whack hard on the head and send them flying and they didn't mess with her. They loved her but knew not to irritate her.

Ruby was very upset when his buddy Inky died and he and Lovey became even closer. He was following Lovey everywhere and grooming him non-stop the past week or two.

He loves the dog but doesn't play with him. He hates new dogs when I dog sit and tolerates them at best.

Since Lovey died Ruby has been clingy to me not eating as much and sad and quiet. He's back to over grooming and scratching constantly and starting to get scabs already.

His food hasn't changed. There's nothing new here that he could be allergic to.

Is stress and grief making his allergies worse? He's indoor only so isn't outside to get into anything.

Do I have to start looking for a kitten for him already? I'm afraid with another adult cat they'll fight. He can be a bully and jerk so needs a sociable friendly strong willed bold cat who won't be intimidated by him but is a good click. He bonded instantly with Lovey but Tigey only tolerated him his whole life

That why I'm thinking kitten. Plus he's abnormal. He tears around like a kitten and has tons of energy despite being eight. Most cats his age couldn't keep up with him.
I don't want any more cats but I feel bad for him since he's always had lots of siblings and is a very social cat. He's afraid of strange people and hates dogs.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, and bless your heart to the nth degree for thinking of your baby Ruby :heartshape:

I'm thinking that yes, stress and Ruby's sadness as well as yours is definitely going to have an effect on allergies.

Before bringing a new feline into the house, would it be possible for you to try a chamomile tea wash on his skin? Buy some from a store (garden grown isn't safe for cats) brew it, cool it and apply with a cotton ball or similar. The tea is anti fungal, anti bacterial, will ease the itch and if he ingests some, is safe.

Also, have you had a chance to try music? There is low volume classical harp music, an app called Relax My Cat, and there's also MusicForCats . com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! No one else has any experience with this?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the stress makes every thing more. However, Ruby will need time to grieve, just as you do. He seems to want to share his grief with you. A kitten might make him feel worse, because he wants Lovey. (This is a problem we're working on now and it's been a couple of years since Sweet Gum lost her dog)

I've noticed that it's usually about 40 days of grieving for the sibling or best friend cat. They generally start very slowly to purr a little, play a little, but I don't think you should rush it any more than you'd want some one to rush you. I know you are thinking about what will be best for him. I"m not saying you are rushing him to rush him. I'm just telling you what I've seen over the years and a lot of losses.

Respect the quiet time. He loves and trusts you and is finding his comfort with you now, sharing your mutual loss.

If the universe sends you another cat, as it sent you Ruby, accept it. prayers for you both for as long as you need them.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
My beautiful Lovey died two days ago. He was sick with cancer since October but acting healthy until the past week or two so I had to have him euthanized.
My other cat, Ruby, is allergic to basically everything. I've had him tested and he had tons of environmental allergies and food allergies. He overgrooms and scratches himself until he's covered with multiple large bloody raw areas all over his skin.
I've changed his food so there's nothing in the food he gets that he's allergic to. I give him atopica twice a week for itchiness and allergy injections on every two weeks. It's taken a long time to work up to that regimen.

He hates medication and hides and stress drools and I have to be sneaky about preparing it or he'll hide for over a day. He's hard to get injections into because he's thinking and he'll run while the needle is in.

He's also never been an only cat before. I found him starving next to a busy road at three months old. At the time my mom had recently died and I inherited her cats do had six cats. I didn't want another but he was a starving kitten.
He's used to having a bunch of other cats to play with. He's been devastated each time my other cats have died. He and Lovey bonded right from the start and used to be the dynamic duo that ganged up on the other cats. They were the bad gangster cats that were frankly very sweet and loving with me, but absolute jerks to the other cats.
My huge cat Mandy just would cuff them each one whack hard on the head and send them flying and they didn't mess with her. They loved her but knew not to irritate her.

Ruby was very upset when his buddy Inky died and he and Lovey became even closer. He was following Lovey everywhere and grooming him non-stop the past week or two.

He loves the dog but doesn't play with him. He hates new dogs when I dog sit and tolerates them at best.

Since Lovey died Ruby has been clingy to me not eating as much and sad and quiet. He's back to over grooming and scratching constantly and starting to get scabs already.

His food hasn't changed. There's nothing new here that he could be allergic to.

Is stress and grief making his allergies worse? He's indoor only so isn't outside to get into anything.

Do I have to start looking for a kitten for him already? I'm afraid with another adult cat they'll fight. He can be a bully and jerk so needs a sociable friendly strong willed bold cat who won't be intimidated by him but is a good click. He bonded instantly with Lovey but Tigey only tolerated him his whole life

That why I'm thinking kitten. Plus he's abnormal. He tears around like a kitten and has tons of energy despite being eight. Most cats his age couldn't keep up with him.
I don't want any more cats but I feel bad for him since he's always had lots of siblings and is a very social cat. He's afraid of strange people and hates dogs.
So very sorry about ure kitty❤

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the well wishes and the tips. I definitely am not rushing into anything. As I said Ruby can be a bully and has a very strong personality. Kittens aren't easy to find in the shelters here and all the ones I've seen in the local Petsmart through a rescue were either passive and shy, needed to be only cats, or afraid of dogs. For the past year or more I've thought of a third cat since they both were so devastated at losing Inky and I was afraid they'd be too dependent on each other and this exact thing would happen.
Ruby is also very active and playful and Lovey hasn't kept up with him as well for some time and would get annoyed and cuff him and Ruby would look sad
I posted a long time ago after Inky died about adding a third cat.
It will take a while as I realized I have to vaccinate Ruby and his allergies have been so erratic the dermatologist advised me to wait a while ago so they're outdated.
I sent his dermatologist an email asking if it's safe to vaccinate him at all and if they should be spread out given his increased stress and symptoms.
Ruby seems most stressed by being home alone.
When I go out I usually take the dog with me. When I'm home he gives the deep purr and has at least one racing around attack or more attack a day. Catnip gets him acting silly.
When I left for seven or eight hours yesterday he was devastated and wouldn't eat or come out. He's used to having other cats for company and never being alone.

He was there for the euthanasia and sniffed Lovey after so got to say some goodbye.

Of course he's going to grieve Lovey. But I think he's scared being alone a lot.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you have lost Lovey, its heartbreaking for us and another bonded pet. I went through it several years ago, its so hard to watch. Perhaps Ruby thinks that you have gone and will not come back when you go out and this is adding to her stress. I know its not possible to be with her 24 hours a day but try reassuring her and interact with her as much as you can. I would not get another kitten or cat yet, as others have said, both you and Ruby need time to grieve and adjust. Let us know how things are going.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
No I haven't tried music yet. I rarely listen to music at home, I listen mainly in the car or if I go out with friends or if friends come over occasionally. I think the relaxing cat music was classical? I honestly despise classical music (grew up dancing ten hours a day every summer with a semi professional group and had to do a lot of ballet and floor calisthenics for grace, posture and structure). I loved the main dancing but hated the ballet and classical music that went with it. Still do.
I only have very basic cable since it's together with my internet and the bill is ridiculously overpriced. Maybe I'll try to put on the nature channel and see if he seems interested and leave it on when I leave. He's destroyed countless Venetian blinds going after things in the real windows.
There's studies with horses that show that horses recover better from grief if they have the closure of saying goodbye to their herdmate by sniffing and being with the body. The one other cat I euthanized at home there was a much easier grieving process for the four remaining cats at the time, including Ruby. It seems worse when the cat goes away and never returns.

He's tearing around the place like a combination of Roadrunner and Dennis the Menace tonight. Ate a lot too.

He and my dog weren't happy last night when I washed tons of laundry and all the bedding and sheets from the bed and futon that Lovey were on.

It will take a while to get him vaccinated and find a kitten or cat that I think will be a good match for him. I just think of every cat I've had he's very social and loves other cats and hates being the only cat the most.in many ways he's more doglike than a normal cat. Lovey was the same way.

He's already extremely clingy and dependent on me and has always had some level of separation anxiety from me. He's literally followed me into the shower several times. I'm afraid if he's alone too long he'll get so extreme he'll need medication and get dangerous like my dog was originally.

It's probably because I saved him when he was literally a starving kitten next to a busy road and was alone. But he is afraid of strangers, has a very few people he likes that can pet him, be hates dogs except is now bonded to mine and only really comes alive with the bold fun happy personality with other cats.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
inkysmom inkysmom , you know best what Ruby needs. I truly believe there will be another cat coming to you soon. I don't think you'll have to go as far as Petsmart or the shelter. The universe does have a way of sending the desperate babies straight into our arms. And the universe knows your arms are always open.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most of my cats have been strays. I literally picked Ruby up off the street. Lovey and Mandy I got at a shelter and the rest were all strays. But there's no strays in this neighborhood and I always have my dog with me when I go most places.
Guess I better get him vaccinated for whatever happens!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe I'll try to put on the nature channel and see if he seems interested and leave it on when I leave.
First, I would like to express my sincere and heartfelt sympathies on the loss of Lovey. :angel:

Second, I think putting on the Nature Channel is an excellent idea. :thumbsup: When our last dog passed away it made us realize just how much our cat missed him. Not exactly the same as Ruby missing Lovey, i.e. two cats, but missing another part of their pack nonetheless.

I can't exactly remember the length of time it took our kitty to get over the slump but eventually she accepted being an only cat. Unfortunately she could not get along with other cats so bringing a new feline friend into the house was not a good option for us. However, she became extremely attached to me. I was always her favorite human in the house but once our dog passed she became even more affectionate towards me.

I completely agree with K Kflowers that you know Ruby best. In my personal experience I have found that no two cats are the same. Ruby may need time like our cat or she may need another friend but only time will tell. Be patient, try turning on the Nature Channel like you suggested or try any other variety of options. It may change from day to day, i.e. she may prefer one thing one day and another the next. Keep your bag of magic tricks handy. ;) Best of luck and please keep us updated on her progress. :hugs:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ruby might like one of those stuffed animals for kittens with the ticking heart and source of warmth. A lot of grown up people like a teddy bear when they are in shock and grieving.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
That reminded me of when I had Lasik laser surgery done to give me perfect vision without glasses or contacts. I had worn contacts for at least twenty years, absolutely hated the vision glasses gave me (it's sharper and makes things move so makes me dizzy, probably irritated my vestibular migraines that also cause dizziness, I'm weird), plus I was riding horses and jumping and competing and getting sweaty made glasses steam up and slide around. Not good to not be able to see when riding large unpredictable animals at speed over large fixed obstacles!
I couldn't wear hard or gas permeable contact lenses which were better for the corneas, I nearly blinded myself trying y get the dang things in and out. I was allergic to every type of contact cleaning solutions that existed, I tried them all. Got nasty painful bumps inside my eyes and eyelids, felt like I had needles in my eyes. Then had to wear glasses til they healed grrr.
Had to wear daily disposable lenses, but I wore them 18 or more hours daily and was killing my corneas from not enough oxygen. Got many cornea scratches.
Was thrilled to finally do the lasik. Except I was scared the calming drug they gave me first would make me dizzy so I only took half. Stupid. I only took the half because my blood pressure was so high from nerves they made me take it.
They basically strap you in a chair, tie your eyelids open and you watch the laser at you, wide awake to slice your cornea open for the first cut . Then you have to walk with dim vision into another room to the bigger laser that actually corrects your vision. Not as bad as the cutting first one.
My problem was once I knew what happened to the first eye with the first slicing laser, no way could I sit still and not blink or flinch for the second eye. Even tied up with the eye taped open.
The bf holding my hand didn't help. They were going to give up. Until one nurse gave me a stuffed animal that had calmed down few kids before.
Somehow it worked! I felt like an overgrown idiot at age 37 clinging to a stuffed toy but I kept still and got through it.
The ticking heart sounds kind of creepy for Ruby though.
He's lived with six other cats and always been happy, healthy and well adjusted with a variety of other temperaments. He's well socialized and outgoing with cats. He's the annoying little brother and instigator but is respectful when a bold confident cat puts him in his place. He's very loving and nurturing with cats and dogs he's bonded to. He can be a bully and pushy with passive or sick cats who aren't assertive.

I like him independent and well rounded and the beautiful nurturing side of his personality with other cats . It's not healthy for him to be so clingy and frantic to me and I personally believe it's better to have two or three cats so they entertain each other and aren't alone all day. I wouldnt have a cat who has to be an only cat. There are too many homeless cats that need loving homes.
Feral cats bond and form colonies and all my own cats bonded and formed social loving relationships with others. I don't think it's healthy for cats to be solitary all the time. Many of the cats I've watched since I've done petcare for extra money have been alone and bored and had behavior problems.
It's my opinion formed from my experience.
Obviously if a cat has been an only cat it's whole life and is geriatric it's a different story.
My childhood cat was an only cat til she was three and we saved a starving kitten. Those cats lived to be 19 and 20 and never really bonded. Fought a lot but did occasionally cuddle in the winter for warmth. But when she was 8 I found another kitten and moved out and took her and him and lived in small apartments with those two for years and they became very bonded.
So it was a matter of being with the right cat. She was also fine with my mom's younger cat.
Ruby won't have to adjust to being an only cat for long. I don't think it's healthy in general, but I especially think it's cruel to him to deprive him of buddies for the rest of his life.
It's about time, and getting him safely vaccinated, and finances for me, as always, and finding the right cat or kitten.
There's arguments pro and cons both for waiting and not waiting.
It takes time to grieve and to bond with a new pet. I didn't wait too long to get a new dog after my last dog died. I got the right dog that I might have missed if I'd waited. And I still miss my last dog every day and always will. I still miss my mom and old horse and childhood cats and always will. None of my more recent horses or cats replaced the ones before.
My first horse died almost 23 years ago and I still miss him and dream about him. But I've had 22 amazing years with my current horse. My childhood cats died two months apart in 2004 and 2005. I still miss them but I'm glad I only waited a month before I got Lovey and Mandy.
There's no replacing anyone. It's just adding room for those who need it
Ruby's never once hurt a cat or been hurt by one. He's fluent in cat. He's just happier with cats to play with and get in trouble with.
He hurt my dog but now they're bonded.
I posted wondering if just stress could worsen allergies since nothing else in terms of allergen exposure had changed.

Whether or not to get another cat isn't debatable for me, it's definitely the best thing for him at some point. That wasn't at all what I meant to ask about. But I appreciate all the kind words and support. This is a great group.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
You sound like a psychic predicting the future. There's no strays in my neighborhood, everyone has dogs and is constantly out walking the all the time so strays I think go to quieter areas.
So if I'm ready to get a cat/kitten I have to go to a shelter and find one.
I heard back from the dermatologist that it's safe to vaccinate Ruby so I guess I'll start with that.
I'll stay open minded though since anything can happen.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about Lovey's passing.

I can relate to your issues with medicating Ruby-- have you asked your vet whether the medication is available in a topical ointment? We were able to get this for my cat's thyroid meds, and it was pretty life-changing because she had all of the same bad reactions to medicine as Ruby, including the drool reflex.

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the ear suggestion. He's terrible for any kind of medication. For a while I had to put cream on his sores and wipe them with medicated wipes. Shouldn't be a big deal and wasn't for the other cats. No he had to run and hide.
He's now taken to tearing around the house like a maniac. All. The. Time. When I go into a room he races in to beat me. He does let me be in a room without me for short periods but races around sometimes meowing. He did that before Lovey died.

He's a maniac. Very energetic for 8 and a half. Very affectionate but only clingy in short periods.