Do all ferals scare mice?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi ... I may be moving soon and the possible realtor said my feral is no problem since they are great for keeping down mice. However I've yet to see my cat catch a mouse. Does this mean she is not a mouser?

And/or is it possible that just her presence in my back yard will keep mice away just by her presence and scent? Thanks! Hoping I can do a sell up for her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Some cats probably don't chase mice??? Some areas just don't have mice??? My neighbor who took care of a couple of strays for awhile did find mouse 'remnants' around her place, so... She didn't know there were any mice around. So, I am guessing cats don't necessarily keep mice away. Cats are just clever at finding them, if they are interested in doing so.

The one thing I do know is that if you are moving a feral/stray that is outside-only to another location, you need to either confine the cat inside, or in an entrapment outside, for several weeks before letting them out to roam or you face them trying to get back to the area they once knew. Ever thought about a cat enclosure or catio?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks... good to know. We don't know exactly IF we are selling - looks likely, very much so, but we've thought about it for a long time, my health is going downhill. It breaks my heart. What can I say? But unless I know where I'll end up which I don't... should say hubs and I... I can't take miss Kitty along.

The realtor I spoke to today said it is something you mention once to buyers offhand, and if they are cool with it, fine. Otherwise, "cat needs to just roam around, after all, it's feral".

No I don't blame her, she's doing her job as my realtor. She is a lovely human being and understands my love for Kitty Kat.

So... I'll have to rehome her somehow, how I don't know yet if and how that happens.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's hard to imagine KK in a catio after she's had free range all these years. Plus we don't know where we're going and if pets are allowed. It is a tough situation. I feel like Benedictine Arnold when I pet her!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I think I misunderstood. Now re-reading what you wrote, I am guessing you were thinking of leaving her behind when you move in the hopes that who ever moves in behind you will 'take' to the idea of a cat on the property for the purpose of keeping the mice population down?

If you feed her and watch over her now, there is no guarantee that folks that move in will do the same, so you are risking her eventual demise if they don't. Especially, if the attraction for the possible new property dwellers is that her presence is beneficial for the purpose of a mouse/rat eradicator.

If you are concerned for her well-being after you leave, you might want to start thinking about some other options. Perhaps, looking into local rescue centers that might trap her and work with her to become an adoptable pet, if that is not possible for you to do. I don't know where you are located, but if you have a Next Door Neighbor web site, you might think about posting about your situation and see if you can find anyone in the area that might help in terms of securing her a new home/place to be. Ask family/friends/neighbors/co-workers about helping you find a way to take care of this girl after you leave.

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. It's so hard. I am her universe. That's how much she either loves me or acts like she does!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay thanks, great idea. We don't know WHERE we'll be moving yet, that's the problem! And then it will be most likely temporary till we find something permanent. Covid kept us home for a long time that could have been used to look.

So best is to rehome her here. She's quite spoiled (but then again, what beloved cat is not?) I can post on various forums I guess. I just don't want someone to harm her. Sometimes I wonder... but then I have no right to decide her life. So I'll try anything and everything.

My health is going downhill and we just can't juggle that many balls.... we need to sell our house (we were told it looked great!) so realtor is salivating... just a matter of us working our way out of this Covid bottleneck which messed up all our plans. We wanted to move earlier.

I will say this, I have learned so much from her and do every day. Like "My Octopus Teacher", I have a Feral Cat teacher. Smart cat!