Do all cats get spooked so easily?

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes my cat looks at me like shes terrified then if I slightly move she'll dart the other way across the room. Then she'll approach me plop right down in the middle of the floor and stretch her body out like nothing happened and when u sit down law in my lap a few minutes and dart off again.

Cats.

Now shes laying in bed with me squirming around chirping away.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Graham is afraid of the noise of water coming from the pressurized hose. The other week a neighbor was cleaning their garage and she could hear the sound of pressurized water. At first I was wondering why she kept running around the house, then back to the window and was looking at something, then around the house again. Over and over. I decided to investigate and it was the water! LOL. Then she hid under the bed comforter when she probably felt she could not take it anymore.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DO THEY KNOW IT'S CHRISTMAS (Hint: No)

It's Christmastime, there's no need to be afraid (unless you are a cat)

* * * (skipping irrelevant lyrics)

There's a world outside your window
And it's a world of dread and fear (OMG they get me! They really get me!)

At our house, Christmas means grandma, her walker, and the smell of unwashed hooman covered by lots and lots of perfume. We aren't sure exactly what the scary part is, but we know they want her run over by a reindeer.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have owned a nearly fearless cat but those are pretty rare. My Willow is on the opposite side of the spectrum and a huge variety of sounds and actions send her running for cover. On her list of terrifying are anyone including me walking near while she is eating, being offered a treat when she hasn’t begged for it, the cleaning up that proceeds vacuuming, loud cars driving past or anyone pulling in my driveway, the vacuum of course, large packages or bags brought into the house, any human other than me and dozens of other things.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Seeing as how that dang cucumber thing, placed right by their food and water no less, obviously seems like a snake to them or they wouldn't be so frightened, please, people, don't do that to your cat, --who trusts you.
We actually tried that. Our kitten and older cat both looked up at us like why are you putting a cucumber on the kitchen floor? And walked off to find more interesting things to do.

I'm not so sure it's that it's a cucumber. I think it's just that it's a unknown object and could be almost anything to a cat that's kind of fearful of unknown things in general.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
she'll dart the other way across the room
Then she'll approach me plop right down in the middle of the floor and stretch her body out like nothing happened
You know, the more I think about it, this sounds a lot more like a version of zoomies to me.
Can you see what she does if you toss a toy for her when she darts off, or use a wand style toy that she can chase and jump after?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats just afraid of everything, kinda made into a game of catch me if you can. If I speed walk around her she'll run directly to her hiding spots and it's the same one every time, I get close enough darts to the other side. Then she gives up and stretches her belly out. Seems like fear at first but trust me really just feels like a leave me alone kinda thing. I know my cats fears. She'll tighten up and dig her nails in my skin if she gets too afraid. Sometimes it's funny when I block her normal hiding spots because it'll take her a minute to get she can't go there.