Dizziness

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to the neurologist today. He thinks my dizziness is migraine related. He's sending me to a neurotologist (specializes in inner ear disorders) to see if the migraines and inner ear are causing my dizziness. I'm also going to get a MRI of the brain. He increased one of my medications and started me on a new one. Thanks everyone for all of your vibes and prayers. I really appreciate it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope they can figure it out.

Be careful if you have to drive, too, until you know how your med increase and new one will affect you. I've had new meds give me vertigo, bad headaches and a migraine, among other things.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Libby.

Strange_wings: He put me on Midrin. I took it and it has made me feel drowsy and my legs wobbly. I'm hoping the side effects will wear off. He increased my Topamax to 50 mg a day from 25mg. I just took it so hopefully it won't effect me too much. I don't have to go anywhere soon so we'll see how I adjust to the meds. Thank you for the vibes.

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I get dizzy at times too. Often it feels like when you stand up really fast, you know, kind of lightheaded. I have a problem with pressure in both of my ears.. I think allergies contributes to it. I notice if I watch something in 3D or something on a big screen like at the IMAX theater... it makes me really dizzy too. Cruise ships also make me dizzy. At first I thought it was motion sickness.. but this last time I wore the patch and it didn't help. I seem to have trouble with my equilibrium. It's really frustrating and annoying at times...
I almost fell down the stairs twice today at work from getting lightheaded. The doctors can't come up with anything for me either.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, Rachel. I know exactly how you feel.
Have you ever seen a neurologist or a neurotologist. If you have inner ear problems and/or migraines, a neurotologist can see if the two are related in causing the dizziness. What all tests have you had done? Are you on any medications?

I'm not sure I'm liking the Midrin he gave me for migraines. It makes me drowsy and extreme restlessness. The drowsiness I can handle, but it felt like my body was trying to jump out of my skin. I was so tired I went to bed at 930p but couldn't sleep. Anyways, I'm going to call the pharmacist tomorrow and see what he says. I looked it up online and it says restlessness can be caused by overdose but I only took 2 pills which it said to take.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The drowsiness would be from the sedative in it. The restlessness could also be from that or from the vasoconstrictor. I take a med that's just a vasoconstrictor and it caused the restless feeling the first couple of doses - other people get it much worse and can't take it due to just being too sensitive to the feeling that vasoconstricting drugs can cause.

Ironically one of the main side effects of Midrin is dizziness.

Anytime there's a new tech at the pharmacy, or I have to deal with a nurse or PA they try mess up and write my med as Midrin.

Half-life on the drug (how long it stays in your body) is supposed to be 8-11 hours and I can't find what the dichloralphenazone itself metabolizes on - but it's probably safe to say be careful with antihistamines, both H1 and H2, if you take any.

rachelh1018 - Those mess with me, too. I can't watch or play games in first person mode (with the exception of Halo, because it's slow - and then I can only handle a little of it), and that view on movies really messes with me. ...I also can't walk on a treadmill. I'll feel like I just got off a boat. I do not have vestibular problems, at all.
It may be possible that you have more than one thing going on and that's what is confusing doctors.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take Midrin for migraines, too; I've never had a problem with the 'jumpiness', but there is the occassional drowsiness if I have to take more than 1 dose.

I don't know if this will be any help at all, but whenever possible I prefer to use an herbal remedy when I feel a migraine coming. I take 3 or 4 feverfew capsules with a caffeine-loaded beverage ( a soda or a strong cup of coffee ) and most of the time that will stop the migraine before it becomes full blown.

I hope you can find some relief from this problem soon. If you can't tolerate the Midrin, there are other options available. Talk to your dr.
Best of luck, sweetie.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember when Blair witch movie came out? I went and saw that at a theater and I had to hold my head down and couldn't watch the movie because it made me really dizzy!

I get dizzy spells along with hotflashes.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember when Blair witch movie came out? I went and saw that at a theater and I had to hold my head down and couldn't watch the movie because it made me really dizzy!
OMG! Me, too! After the first 5-10 minutes I was so sick I thought I was going to throw up. I spent the rest of the movie with my head down and my eyes closed. Same thing with the D-Day scene from Saving Private Ryan--made me soooo nauseous and brought on a migraine.