DIY wall-mounted cat obstacles

hmckinney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So i'm wanting to build something for my cats to climb / lounge on, but I'm interested in DIY solutions that are preferably low budget.

i've always loved wall mounted cat obstacles:

but they seem to be pretty expensive to buy.

i've also thought about mounting one or two baskets to the wall, like this:

what do you guys think? do you have any ideas / advice?

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The bottom 4 shelves leading up to the top 2 perches are Ikea shelves. I think they are 8 or 10 inches wide and the cats have no issues climbing them up the wall.

However, I would suggest getting shelves at least 16 inches long so that you can screw each side into a stud in the wall. Studs are usually spaced 16 (sometimes 24) inches apart. My Ikea shelves are too short so I can only screw one side to a stud and the other side is secured with those brackets that go inside the wall for security. I forgot what they're called.

Anyway, the shelves are not super secure and would be so much better if they were longer and were connected to 2 studs instead of just the 1. I hope that made sense!

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Square Cat Habitat shelves are fantastic; they are sturdy, attractive and feature mohair inserts, which my cats dig.  The downside is cost; they are expensive.  However, if you are patient and poke around on the web you can find occasional deals.  I paid about $40 a piece for mine, including the mounting brackets and hardware. As an added bonus, they come in tons of colors.

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen a lot of great ideas on Pinterest.  Worth checking out. I have an ideas for pets board w/ a lot of that kind of stuff on it. if you want to check it out. just PM me, &I 'll give you the link. (I'd post it here, but it has my full name in it, & the last time I did that a mod pulled it because of that.)