Diy Scratch Post??

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or you can buy used scratching posts from cat owners whose cats would not use the posts.

I bought 3 "ultimate scratching posts" for about $35 each. These posts cost about $80 plus tax in Toronto.

Make sure the post is in perfect condition. If another cat has used it, your cat may reject it.

There seem to be lots of posts for sale from owners with cats that would not use them.

I needed taller, very stable posts as the boys are heavy, strong and tall. The ultimate post is 36 inches tall and arnolds head comes to the top of the post when he is standing.

It would have cost me almost as much to make each post and they would not have looked as attractive. We have the 3 posts spread around the house and the boys only scratch on these posts.

It took all of 5 minutes for Greg and Arnold to learn to use the posts. I lay the posts on their sides, spread cat nip on them, and that was all it took.

20181207_102655.jpg
20181207_102556.jpg
20181207_102524.jpg

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that looks great! The rope looks so good. I’m not familiar with liquid nails, is that kinda like a hot glue gun, which I was thinking about using. And is the 12x12 large enogh to hold up the 3x3? Sturdy?

He loves it
12x12 ends are a bit wobbly on carpet. Sturdy on a hard floor. I have carpet and since the couch was what was getting shredded, I wanted the post to be right beside the couch as an alternative (guarding the couch). I simply lifted up the front of the sofa and slid the edge of the 12x12 under the sofa leg.
However, with a 10lb tabby, he never tipped it over anyway. I slid the base under the leg of the sofa because he like to perch himself on top of it.
Laying it down actually seemed to work better for scratching though. He just seems to scratch on it more with it laying beside the sofa.
And, not to mention...standing up it was no match for a 40lb cat.

The worst part about building one is wrapping it with rope. It takes a lot more rope than you think. And takes more time than you think. With hot glue, you won't have time to wrap before the glue dries.
Liquid Nails is a construction adhesive sold a almost any hardware store. Comes in a caulking tube. I smeared it on the 4x4 post in 6" increments. Any longer increments and it would start drying before I got the rope covering it.
It's far superior adhesive than hot glue as well.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right? basscat basscat must do some sort or carpentry or construction for a living.
I have seen those board, do they last? Looks to me like they would get destroyed in no time.
That's sort of the point of the cardboard things, to get destroyed. Theory is that they are cheap enough to be somewhat disposable and replaced.
I'm not a trained or schooled carpenter or anything like that. Just grew up in a world where we (Dad) mostly fixed things instead of replaced them. And built most of our own "carpentry" stuff rather than hiring it done.
When it comes to things like dovetails, fine cabinetry, furniture building, etc....I'm lost a goose. Don't have the tools and doubt I have the patience.
But if I absolutely had to? I could probably figure it out.....at about twice the cost and mental anguish of hiring it done. :lol:

Example: My wife saw a rustic looking living room table and end table set at a furniture store. Just had to have it. BUT, for what it was (prob mass produced overseas,...$600 was EXPENSIVE. Third or Fourth trip to the store, we both finally gave in and brought the tables home.
Needed another table "set" for the sunroom not long after. And, I had just taken down an old privacy fence. The old fence was wood planks that had the bottom and top edges rotted away.
I got to looking at our $600 tables and decided I could do that.
The rustic tables that I built are sturdy, built just as well, very similar, yet don't look "faux" rustic. Most everybody seems to really like them.
So, THEY went in the living room, and the $600 tables went to the sunroom.
And what I learned? Those $600 tables were a BARGAIN!!! :flail:

Hey, I have pics!!
Here are two of the tables I built. (can't really see the end table though due to the glare).

And these are the ones we bought.

Last edited:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH, the staples that I used on the ends are called fence staples (fencing staples?).
Again, hardware store stuff. These are driven in with a hammer, not a staple gun. Like what a person would use to fasten barb wire to a wooden fence poles.
Very stout, strong, once nailed in a cat won't get them out. Actually it's not easy for a people to remove them either. :lol:

crispycritter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. Has anyone tried a do it yourself scratch post? Thinking about taking it on the challenge, but also thinking about just buying the $15 one at Petsmart :-)
If so, would you say making your own is easy on the wallet and better quality than a $20 store bought? The last one I purchased lasted about 2 weeks :(
Low cost, easy instructions, and suggestions are much appreciated :)
I haven't built one from the ground up-but I've had to put new rope on it several times. The base on one I have is carpeted (I think it's a 1" thick chunk of wood) and about 13" by 15" and the pole is 35" high-the pole itself is two 2 x 4's glued together.I have used a variety of different ropes--but after repairing it the first time-one cat didn't like the new rope and preferred the fully carpeted one-also 35" tall-but the base is larger-20 x 24"I 've used a variety of adhesive & fasteners-Super glue didn't hold well, neither did large staples from a heavy duty staplegun-my best results were either a hot glue gun or U shaped nails from the local hardware store They come in different sizes so I gauged them to the rope I was using-3/8" diameter sisal. (most any tough fiber rope will work-I've used hemp, jute, sisal and manila) You can usually get it at a local hardware store in 50 ft. rolls for about 6-8 dollars. This last time I used the U nails and I wound the rope as tightly as I could by hand. About once every 12-18 mos. I have to replace it-but I've saved money by only repairing the worn out section.
It's hard to find ones in stores tall enough for adult & large breed cats. I have a Maine Coon who's the size of a Jack Russel terrier-
and a small B&W longhaired cat. Both were rescued off the street.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't built one from the ground up-but I've had to put new rope on it several times. The base on one I have is carpeted (I think it's a 1" thick chunk of wood) and about 13" by 15" and the pole is 35" high-the pole itself is two 2 x 4's glued together.I have used a variety of different ropes--but after repairing it the first time-one cat didn't like the new rope and preferred the fully carpeted one-also 35" tall-but the base is larger-20 x 24"I 've used a variety of adhesive & fasteners-Super glue didn't hold well, neither did large staples from a heavy duty staplegun-my best results were either a hot glue gun or U shaped nails from the local hardware store They come in different sizes so I gauged them to the rope I was using-3/8" diameter sisal. (most any tough fiber rope will work-I've used hemp, jute, sisal and manila) You can usually get it at a local hardware store in 50 ft. rolls for about 6-8 dollars. This last time I used the U nails and I wound the rope as tightly as I could by hand. About once every 12-18 mos. I have to replace it-but I've saved money by only repairing the worn out section.
It's hard to find ones in stores tall enough for adult & large breed cats. I have a Maine Coon who's the size of a Jack Russel terrier-
and a small B&W longhaired cat. Both were rescued off the street.
I think that’s where I might start, practice on the broken one before i take on the task of building a whole new one :) I found sisal rope on the wish app, if you’ve heard of it for only a dollar. Score!
I copied the link below :)

wish | Natural Sisal Rope Cat Scratching Post Toys Making DIY Desk Foot Chair Legs Binding Rope

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love to make things ... but ... it is rarely cheaper than buying something ready made. My cats love their cat trees for scratching and those corrugated cardboard refill things( under $5) and for the price of just materials ( add rope, wood, tools, screws, glue, carpet) I can buy a perfectly nice cat tree - but making stuff is fun ... refurbishing an older tree might be a great way to start ... I tasked my kids to make a kitty mansion out of cardboard boxes and the cats loved it and we built a cat gate for the stairs ...