Diy Ideas

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ever since building the kittens a cardboard playhouse, I’ve been itching to DIY something that they won’t be able to destroy in a few months. :p
F3D56A90-43D9-4199-96D1-50FDD6DA5CAA.jpeg
I’m not well versed in construction, nor do I have many tools, but I have plenty of ideas. I’m considering converting some shelving into cubbyholes and perches for them to explore. I have an unused ledge in my room that I could use, so I’ll go measure it now. I have toyed with some ideas, but I wondered if you guys had any cool DIY projects you’ve done or seen?
I’ll update here if I make any progress, but so far this is just a dream.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That looks good! I've built a DIY cardboard one-level house as well, even drawn frames around the window cutouts. I'm not very handy so I was very proud of it! Showed it to my Ashton and she took absolute no interest lol. Even putting her usual blanket sprinkled with catnip didn't help. I eventually had to part with it.

Hope your kittens will love your DIY!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmyTheKittyMommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PMousse PMousse Do you have any photos? That sounds adorable! I’m sorry Ashton didn’t take to to it; I’m sure it was wonderful.
weebeasties weebeasties That is so awesome! I’ve seen some photos of DIY cat trees and it’s amazing what people have built. It’s awesome that your cats loved it to death, because that’s the true test of quality in cat furniture. ;)
I’ve been looking into using IKEA shelving units and modifying them. Possibly adding some sisal wrapped PVC posts or a fleece hammock or two has crossed my mind. As improbable as it is that I might pull this off, looking at ideas and thinking of designs is so much fun!
0E35D626-D90C-43B1-8BE6-2906473EDC60.jpeg
84987C5E-CCC5-40AC-8F8C-3CAD12EB9C62.jpeg
D96E316B-CA22-4C3A-B7DC-FA7EC76CEAED.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex was a finish carpenter at one point in his life and he had all the tools necessary to build just about anything. We made a lot of things when we were together and I learned so much from him! What I'm proudest of is our catio and our barn compound which are pictured, when the site is up and running, which it isn't at present (yes, I've let the site owner know and yes, hopefully they will get it fixed within the forseeable future, but they have a LOT on their plate at the moment) on catioshowcase.com. I've linked to that elsewhere here on TCS, too. Anyway, we also built modular cat houses and a stand-alone modular "cat recovery station" for the previous house, which we would use to accomodate cats from the neighborhood whom we took in to get vetted and fixed, or who were injured and needed a place to recuperate. Let's see if I can find some pix of the Mojave catio and barn compound:
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
AmyTheKittyMommy AmyTheKittyMommy Sadly I don't have the picture of my DIY cardboard box, but it looked kinda like the top level of your first photo. I do have this one though - proof that she would sit in any cardboard box except the one I made for her lol

I've actually been looking into some Ikea DIY for Ashton as well and have considered something similar to both your first photo using the Kallax and second one using shelves. But for me, I'm afraid the first one may be too involved as it requires a lot of cutting through Ikea's particleboard and paper-filled boards.

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
My father and I built a cat tree out of an old lamp: we drilled holes in the stands and put wooden steps, took the top part of the lamp off and flipped it upside down like a bowl; then we put a cushion in in and screwed it back on the top. We put a wooden board on the back like a ramp, and put burlap all over it for climbing.

The cats love it, let me see if I have a picture....

(You can see the bottom in this picture)
IMG_8600.JPG

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I found a couple of old pictures of the cat tree we built. Nothing fancy but the cats loved it. The platforms/shelves are pretty big so more than one could lay on it at a time.

View attachment 207266 View attachment 207267
"Nothing fancy"??? Looks absolutely professional to me, and then some, because as you say, it has much bigger platforms than anything you could buy, I think. GORGEOUS! *And those CATS and KITTENS!!!* :kneading::runningcat::caticon::caticon:

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, Thank you. :blush: I think reading this thread has motivated me to redo it. We already have the carpet. Just not looking forward to doing the sisal rope. It took FOREVER!
We also have been in the process of building another one. (In process means started about 2 years ago and never finished.:p) The base is like a large cabinet that holds 2 litter buckets and a litterbox. There is a cat door on one end. The top is carpeted, and then there will be another platform higher up that is carpeted with sisal support posts. We wanted it to look more like a piece of furniture, but that means staining the wood on the cabinet (we made it out of beadboard) and I have never done that and so I'm a little intimidated. Maybe one day I'll take the plunge!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, Thank you. :blush: I think reading this thread has motivated me to redo it. We already have the carpet. Just not looking forward to doing the sisal rope. It took FOREVER!
We also have been in the process of building another one. (In process means started about 2 years ago and never finished.:p) The base is like a large cabinet that holds 2 litter buckets and a litterbox. There is a cat door on one end. The top is carpeted, and then there will be another platform higher up that is carpeted with sisal support posts. We wanted it to look more like a piece of furniture, but that means staining the wood on the cabinet (we made it out of beadboard) and I have never done that and so I'm a little intimidated. Maybe one day I'll take the plunge!
It is really impressive and I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that way. Your work in progress sounds amazing -- I hope you'll share pix of it with us when it's done (or even as it gets done -- we love seeing projects being done!). I don't think you'll have any problem staining the wood -- there are so many wonderful products on the market today that you're sure to be able to achieve whatever look you want. Yeah, wrapping/hot gluing/stapling the sisal does take forever. But it's so worth it, don't you agree? Watching our beloved cats tear into the rope and enjoy the experience is a wonderful thing. :climbcat:

elgecko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nice work everyone.

I would like to catify the house. I've got several ideas that I believe would be really cool. Problem is we hope to put up the house this coming spring so that won't be happening in the current house.
I have been thinking making a shelf at the window the could just slip on the window apron so no drilling or screwing would be needed.

When I got our new kitten, Buddy, Sept 19, 2017, I made him a sisal scratcher from him.
sisal.jpg

Here are some steps I made for our 20 year old cat to help her get up on the bed. She hardly ever uses them, but they are there.
steps.jpg

I looked at them about two weeks ago and thought to myself, why not put some cardboard inside to make another scratching item for Buddy that would not take up any more room.
steps1.jpg

Buddy has been scratching at the cardboard so this weekend I built another cardboard scratcher for him. This one I put a heavy metal plate on the bottom that slides under the speaker. This way the speaker is the weight to keep the scratcher from falling over. Keeps thing nice and slim.
speakerscratcher2.jpg

speakerscratcher1.jpg

speakerscratcher.jpg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice work everyone.

I would like to catify the house. I've got several ideas that I believe would be really cool. Problem is we hope to put up the house this coming spring so that won't be happening in the current house.
I have been thinking making a shelf at the window the could just slip on the window apron so no drilling or screwing would be needed.

When I got our new kitten, Buddy, Sept 19, 2017, I made him a sisal scratcher from him.
View attachment 207450

Here are some steps I made for our 20 year old cat to help her get up on the bed. She hardly ever uses them, but they are there.
View attachment 207451

I looked at them about two weeks ago and thought to myself, why not put some cardboard inside to make another scratching item for Buddy that would not take up any more room.
View attachment 207452

Buddy has been scratching at the cardboard so this weekend I built another cardboard scratcher for him. This one I put a heavy metal plate on the bottom that slides under the speaker. This way the speaker is the weight to keep the scratcher from falling over. Keeps thing nice and slim.
View attachment 207455

View attachment 207454

View attachment 207453
What wonderfully creative ideas -- and they are all good-looking as well! Keep up the great work -- your CATS have got to be really appreciative of your caring! :climbcat: