DIY Cat Scratching Post

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*I hope this is the right place to post this, it's kind of of "care"*
Has anyone made a scratching post themselves/can anyone direct me to a thread where this has been discussed. "tree" is too vague to search here.

I wanted to get a tall scratching post to put in front of a window but was turned off by the price for what i want--$189!!! That's more than a good quality cat tree!

Anyone know of any good step by step directions online? I've read this and get the general gist but I've never made anything before and I think this leaves out a few steps.

I follow directions pretty well but have never made anything like this before so I'm trying to do as much research as possible so this doesn't end up in the pile of projects never to be completed.

I figure I can get someone at Home Depot to do the wood cutting for me, get carpet squares pretty cheaply, get the rope either at HD or Amazon/Ebay and i have a hammer, screw driver etc.

My goal is this:

If the round posts are a problem finding (would pvc piping work?) I figure square would work well too and much easier to put together-fence posts are pretty cheap. I'm also thinking the cat bed may be square if I can't find a cylinder wood thingy.

Any ideas?

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'd be trying to compete with Chinese workers pulled off the fields making $23 a month. Free labor at Home Depot is a gamble. Store policy is that they will not do more than two straight cuts. Doesn't mean they CAN'T do more, but it'd be a charity case at that point.

There are really nice scratchers out that you'd have difficulty recreating for their sale price:

http://www.amazon.com/SmartCat-3832-...6891455&sr=8-5

$50 shipped to your door (2day shipping if prime member).

My kitties LOVE it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

You'd be trying to compete with Chinese workers pulled off the fields making $23 a month. Free labor at Home Depot is a gamble. Store policy is that they will not do more than two straight cuts. Doesn't mean they CAN'T do more, but it'd be a charity case at that point.

There are really nice scratchers out that you'd have difficulty recreating for their sale price:

http://www.amazon.com/SmartCat-3832-...6891455&sr=8-5

$50 shipped to your door (2day shipping if prime member).

My kitties LOVE it!
Yea I saw that one. I've gotten into the habit of having 2 toys of everything...if one is dragging around da-bird, the other one wants da-bird too. I foresee them fighting over who is sitting on top of the post which is why i liked the one i posted. They could both sit up there together.

But I think you're right.... probably won't be able to beat what's being produced in China. I'm going to do some pricing tomorrow for the supplies and the wood cutting since i'll def. need more than 2 straight cuts. If i can make the first one for the price of the one you posted, I may give it a try.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been long considering building a cat tree. My first few tries sucked, to say the least. Dad may be a carpenter, I sure am not!

I purchased the two I have on Clearance in petco for $15 & $30 each. They're flimsy, but have lasted for 3 - 4 years now! Petco now carries Armarkat furniture, you can buy a nice tree for $100, or an even nicer one for $150 (may be more than you're thinking of spending). My sister has two large (13 - 15 lb) cats who play all over the $150 Armarkat tree she bought from Petco. She's only had it 2 - 3 months, but it has held up well. You can order trees/scratchers online from Armarkat.

This is a poor picture, but you get the idea

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I've been long considering building a cat tree. My first few tries sucked, to say the least. Dad may be a carpenter, I sure am not!
Measure twice, cut once. And start simple.

I have a few basic scratching posts I've made. One is just 18"x18" 3/4" plywood base with a 24" piece of square landscaping post wrapped in sisal. Attached with 4 large wood screws.

Another is around 4' tall. 2'x2' 3/4"plywood on the bottom and 16"x2' 1/2" plywood platform on top. Round landscaping post in the middle, again, wrapped in sisal. The cats love this one. (all plywood and posts are scraps I had laying around, hence some odd sizes)

Remember, any lumber you use should be untreated. Even if it's going to be covered you don't really want to risk it.