DIY Bed Or Heated Cat Bed

Nazneen123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its starting to get cold and I know heated cat beds are meant to be good.

DIY cat beds look pretty awesome too!

Anyone bought a heated cat bed? Is it any good?

But then DIY would be a really good project to work on also lol

Have you ever DIY a cat bed? Would love to see pictures of your work :)

Last edited by a moderator:

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't bought any that plugged in, but last year bought this self-warming cat bed during the black friday sales: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...late-self-warming-pet-pad-21-l-x-17-w-2647406

The kittens use it, with Katrina everyday sleeping on it. I've tried placing my hand on it and it feels cozy and not cold, like my blankets, etc. as I was curious if it felt different than regular fabrics. Not sure if you are interested in this kind, but wanted to mention it just in case.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unless you know your way around wires and all that stuff, I wouldn't attempt to make an electrical plug-in type heated bed. A non-electrical bed is safer. You can use reflective material, like those emergency space blankets. Maybe just get a large box, add in some old towels or blankets, and tuck the reflective material in between the folds.

I use microwavable SnuggleSafe heating pads for my cats. You can buy it from pet stores, Amazon, Chewy, etc.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I made this one yesterday - so far big hit! Sorry for lousy job, it's a "proof of concept".

Material
  • Box
  • Fabric large enough to cover box
  • "space blanket" (* I've been thinking about buying self warming bed, but decided to try DIY first)
  • Down jacket I no longer wear
  • Towel

Steps
  1. Cover box with fabric. I did not glue. Just folded into inside because it was, "proof of concept".
  2. Cut and cover bottom with "space blanket"
  3. Fold and fill box with down jacket
  4. Cover with towel

Result

Warm and happy kitty!
1572830842955.png

I chose double bed size box but ...

Kitty fight!
1572830982502.png

Content kitty
1572831102816.png

Snuggling ...
1572837181972.png

Last edited:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have something like in the link below and it’s much loved by both of my cats, to the point that they’re willing to share it (they don’t really snuggle together otherwise). I used to cover it with cozy blanket but then read that it can be dangerous so they lay on it as it is and they love it anyway. It can get really warm! And it’s easy to clean also.
JUEYING Pet Cat Dog Heating Pad - Heated Pad for Pets - Warming Mat for Dogs - Electric Heat Bed with Adjustable Temperature, Chew Resistant Steel Cord

Jojo&Tutu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Electric blankets are cancer causing - Heard about this in an EMF conference put on by CA Edison and the CA health dept. in1991 where a UCLA epidemiologist spoke about electric blankets and radiant heat causing cancer. Best to use self warming or cave type of cat bed where the cat’s warm breath or it’s own body heat reflected creates the warmth.

Attachments

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Do Electric Blankets Cause Cancer? - Cancer Research - HealthCommunities.com

Whether electromagnetic fields (EMFs) produced by power lines and household appliances such as electric blankets can increase the risk of certain cancers or miscarriages in humans has been the subject of intensive study for more than 30 years.

However, there has been no convincing evidence that typical exposures to EMFs pose any risk of causing cancer. In any case, electric blankets made since 1990 produce much weaker EMFs than older ones.

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess as long as you are using product made for pet it will be safe? , but I opt for self-warming because I am - well - overprotective :tongue:
A Hot Mess: Heating Pad Injuries

Next step I am thinking is adding some sort of hood so that it will be warmer :think: