Disturbing and Devastating (long post)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just curious if anyone had any thoughts on this? I was told Mika died from a virus and that she had scarring on her heart due to a previous virus - yet she was never sick. In Mika's pathology report, the pathologist mentioned the following..."If desired, xxx offers a real PCR panel of common feline respiratory pathogens, which can be performed on the existing formalin fixed paraffin-embedded sample. Please contact Customer Support if you would like to perform this additional testing (ordering information is at the conclusion of this report). Respiratory PCR panel includes. Bordetella bronchiseptica, Chlamydophila felis, feline calicivirus, feline herpesvirus type 1 (FHV-1) Quant, H7N2 influenza virus, influenza A virus
(includes H7N2, H3N2, H1 N1, H3N8) and Mycoplasma felis RealPCR\X2122\ tests. Includes quantification of feline herpesvirus type 1 (FHV-1) viral particles if PCR positive. Includes influenza A strain identification if PCR positive.
To my knowledge, correlation with local public health authorities is required pursue additional diagnostic testing for Covid-19 in domestic"

I had requested this and it took a few weeks to get the results and they came back negative.

My other concern is... I've asked for Mika's records just in case another one of our cats got sick (which they have). The vet replied via receptionist/ vet tech "what are you looking for". I said I just wanted the records for any future events/reference.
Also, Mika died over 4 months ago and I haven't received a bill. I have only bits of information on how they treated her. Plus, the vet did not offer that information (treatments) to the pathologist either.

My long and drawn out question is....what would you think??? Does this seem suspicious to you? I don't want to take any legal action, I just want to know what happened.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are looking for answers that really can't be answered......you are involved with your heart, everyone else is not. There are many diseases, viruses, and pathogens that can cause severe consequences without outward signs, such as being sick. For you to go through all of these losses in such a short period of time has left you empty and seeking answers. Of course you are shattered, anyone would be, my heart aches for your sorrow. I would start by finding a new vet. I'm not saying mistakes were made, but there are many unanswered questions, and I really think they should have had more answers for you. I don't know if it would help to talk with the vet and try to get some answers, at least see what she has to say. It may bring you some peace. Sometimes, no matter what is done, or how hard anyone tries, there is not a good outcome. We can never change what has happened in the past, but we can use what we learned to make it better in our future. You will never get over what has happened, you will eventually learn to live with it., and it takes a long time, one day at a time.......

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have talked with the vet clinic. The reason I had the PCR panel done was out of concern for my remaining cats. When I finally got the results back from the PCR panel, the clinic immediately called back. She said the vet told her to tell me if any of our other cats die to bring them in immediately. I found that a bit disturbing.

All 6 of my cats are sick. I did find a new vet. When the first one got sick we took him in...to the new vet. He had a kitty cold and the rest eventually got it as well. The vet sold us L-lysine powder and it seems to work. They are thankfully getting over it. Our youngest cat is still having trouble but she's eating and drinking. The new vet also provides online records which is very nice.

But, I'm still troubled with the old vet. I really want my cats records, including the deceased ones. This time it was a kitty cold but if it was something else, I would like to be able to provide the new vet or, if necessary, emergency clinic with the information they need.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Medical records are your property and by law you have to be given them if you ask. You can probably pull up the vet's license on the state licensing board and report this; however, I am not encouraging you to take legal action. Most of the tragic events with your cats probably do not fall under malpractice. Your old vet sounds strange. Give, the remark about bringing in any other dead cats sounds as if she has the worst bedside manner in the world or is not overly articulate in times of stress, but that does not prove malpractice either. Mika's results were negative, so in many ways that avenue of investigation is closed now. Your new vet sounds much better and your cats are recovering which is of paramount importance.

Records Retention Info on American veterinary records

California Veterinary Medical Board Info on getting CA medical veterinary records

I assume you are not in CA and might not be in the US? However, the info I wanted came up with just one attempt on Google

• Purraise
Reactions: tnl

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Medical records are your property and by law you have to be given them if you ask. You can probably pull up the vet's license on the state licensing board and report this; however, I am not encouraging you to take legal action. Most of the tragic events with your cats probably do not fall under malpractice. Your old vet sounds strange. Give, the remark about bringing in any other dead cats sounds as if she has the worst bedside manner in the world or is not overly articulate in times of stress, but that does not prove malpractice either. Mika's results were negative, so in many ways that avenue of investigation is closed now. Your new vet sounds much better and your cats are recovering which is of paramount importance.

Records Retention Info on American veterinary records

California Veterinary Medical Board Info on getting CA medical veterinary records

I assume you are not in CA and might not be in the US? However, the info I wanted came up with just one attempt on Google
I am in Wisconsin. I do not want to take legal action. This whole ordeal has been very strange! For example, Mika's pathology report was completed 1/16. I didn't get those results until March! I was told they were possibly sent to the wrong clinic but it was clearly faxed to them. Thank you for the information!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really want my cats records, including the deceased ones.
Coming into this thread late... so sorry about Mika - RIP little girl. And, equally sorry your other cats are having issues.

But, if in your area you can actually go into the vet's office, I would make a personal visit there and ask for Mika's and the others' records - for all that are present to see you and hear you. You can be nice and all that, but be loud! If that is not possible, if the vet's office has Facebook, post on it about your concerns and request the records. It doesn't have to be legal action, but you can also submit a complaint through BBB, and still report this matter to the state licensing board as well. If the vet's office has other social avenues - Instagram, etc. post there as well. You have a right to all of their records.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Coming into this thread late... so sorry about Mika - RIP little girl. And, equally sorry your other cats are having issues.

But, if in your area you can actually go into the vet's office, I would make a personal visit there and ask for Mika's and the others' records - for all that are present to see you and hear you. You can be nice and all that, but be loud! If that is not possible, if the vet's office has Facebook, post on it about your concerns and request the records. It doesn't have to be legal action, but you can also submit a complaint through BBB, and still report this matter to the state licensing board as well. If the vet's office has other social avenues - Instagram, etc. post there as well. You have a right to all of their records.
The last time we were there we had to call when we arrived. Then they would call back when it was ok to go inside. They are on Facebook but haven't posted anything on it since 2017. I found some reviews linked to Facebook but when I clicked on them, they didn't exist. I think they disabled that feature somehow. All their reviews on Google are 5 stars which I'm sure can be manipulated so anything negative is flagged and doesn't display. I asked the new vet if they could get the records and they said they could try but it's usually best that the client does it due to HIPPA. BBB might be an option. I will try one more time and see if I can get lucky. Thanks for the information!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would make it clear to them nicely that you get the records, which according to the AVMA they still have to have in their possession, legally, or you will take this to the next step.

• Purraise
Reactions: tnl

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would make it clear to them nicely that you get the records, which according to the AVMA they still have to have in their possession, legally, or you will take this to the next step.
I will try to get them this week. Here's hoping it goes well.