Distraught - my cat has been missing for almost 2 weeks.

doodiebird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - I'm new to this and have never joined a forum before.  I can't seem to find the help I need about my beautiful missing girl called Rubis - it's French spelling for Ruby.

Rubis stayed in on Sunday night - her choice, my cats come and go as they please - and got up on Monday morning, had breakfast, a kiss and cuddle and toddled off outside to see the day.  We have a large garden and meadow backing onto the woods.  We are surrounded by fields and hedgerows.  There is a road but it is at the top of a long winding path leading from the house.  I've always trained my girls to be afraid of the sound of cars, and she would always run back to the house if she heard one.  The path - well, dirt track really - passes next to the house and on into the woods.  We have no near neighbours or barns that are close by.  Our own has been searched thoroughly every day.

She left the house as usual, happy, licking her lips and washing herself before she went to her usual haunts.  I've always trained my girls to follow me around the meadow on specific paths, but of course when they are out on their own, particularly at night, I know they go much further but they have always come home.  She became a good hunter.  The longest Rubis went missing for was about 5 hours.  She loved her food - because she was almost starved to death when we found her - and she was a happy little soul, relishing in her new found love and care.  We idolised her as we do all our cats.

We haven't seen her for almost two weeks and I am totally crushed by it.  I cannot get her out of my mind and have looked everywhere almost hourly eversince.  Posters have been put up, local shelters, missing cat organisations, neighbours, outlying regions, I've sprinkled her used cat litter so she picks up the scent, I've even sprayed my own urine on some of my old clothes for her to pick up.  Crazy though this sounds, she always used to love coming  in to the loo when I pee'd!  (I drew the line at the other, though!) hoping that she's pick up my scent.  I have done everything known to man to get her back but she has just gone.  I keep reading that they generally are close by but Rubis was very vocal and always, but ALWAYS called back.  I've had to get her out of a tree 30 feet up because she got stuck and she hollered at the top of her lungs for me to hear her.  I've checked with hunters, trappers, asked neighbours - nearest neighbour is a long way away.  I've done everything I can think of.  If Rubis is close by surely Ella would somehow know and let me know?  Wouldn't she fnd her and bring her back, or lead me to her?  I've been in every bog and ditch, roadside and pond.

Here's the thing that everyone has latched onto.  Our neighbour came to cut our meadow on the day she disappeared.  Ok, I know what you are going to say, that she was very frightened and ran away and got lost... but surely she wouldn't go SO far out of her territory?  She was quite a confident cat with stuff, although I appreciate a combine harvester is a mother of a vehicle, but she could have gone well away from it and still been in the garden that she knew.  It doesn't make sense to me.  I've called her at dawn and at dusk so the sound travels further.  There are no dogs near here.  We chose this house based around our cats needs and wouldn't have moved here if dogs were around.

I have bought a night vision monocular and will go into the woods in the dark tonight but I am distraught at the thought of her out ther on her own and frightened.  This is 11 days.  She was a slight little thing to start with, despite having the appetite of a mammoth.   The only glimmer of, I don't know, 'ease' of mind is that she is chipped, spayed and all the innoculations and flea/worm treatments are up to date. 

Should I give up hope?  Do I just sit here and try to get on with life?  Because I can tell you right now it feels like it's never going to happen.  I keep calling her in my mind, I won't lose the connection to her and she'll always know I won't give up... but realistically?  I long to see her little ginger bum and skinny legs come skipping in.

spunki1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please read my post under SOS by Spunki1  I am going thru the same thing as you are. Please don't give up yet. I will not stop looking for my baby. Not yet. Maybe not ever.

I will like to keep in touch with you. Please read my post and let me know what you think.

Pam

mrcloverthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she have a microchip tag? It may be easier to find them if they have a tag saying their microchip number and company. Either way, if you know the microchip number, tell everybody - shelters, neighbors, vets - her number and company. I really hope you find her! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doodiebird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she is microchipped... I just worry that any body can be bothered to take her to a vet or shelter  and get it read.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry that your kitty is missing. I don't have any ideas that you haven't tried already but just wanted to let you know I'm pulling for you. It's so awful not knowing where they are and what they're going through. Don't give up hope though. We've had threads on this site where lost cats come home weeks and even months later.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that got out years ago and hid in a wetland near my house.  It took us 3 weeks to trap her even though people were seeing her she was so scared we could not get near her.  We had to borrow at trap from animal control and wait 3 weeks for her get in the trap.

One of my friends had a cat get out it and it took her 2 months to find her cat.  She finally got her cat back when she kept expanding the area where she was putting flyers. It turned out someone several blocks away who was not aware of microchips in pets had been feeding her cat. The lady saw the flyer and immediately called my friend to come to her house to see if she had her cat.  My friend trapped multiple neighbors indoor/outdoor cats in the process of looking for hers.  When she trapped a cat she would call the owners to see if they were missing their cat.  She did wind finding a couple of people's lost cats. She was able to re-unite them with their owners. When she found a cat she would call the number on the cats tags to see if the owner knew that their cat was outside.  Most people did so she confirmed their address and returned the cats their home.

She had another cat that got out by opening a door and walking out of the house.  Their doors have lever handles and their smart cat opens them. He was missing for a week and then he let himself back in through the garage the same way he had escaped.  They now tell everyone who visits them to make sure they lock the door to the garage.  They live in a nice area but they make sure all doors to the outside are now locked at all times so he can not let himself out again.

mamacat23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about your missing cat, Rubis.  It sounds like you've done a lot to try and find her, but I thought I'd also pass along the info (below) from the Missing Pets Partnership in the hope that maybe there's something there that can help you.  Regardless, please don't give up hope....lots of missing cats are found or return home after many weeks, even months.   I'll keep her and you in my thoughts and pray that she is home soon.

Please take a look at this link

http://www.missingpetpartnership.org/recovery-tips/probability-categories/

Last edited by a moderator:

doodiebird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - where can I find your post? I'm new in this forum and pretty hopeless..

doodiebird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pam - just another thought.  The agonies we go through ourselves, is not likely to be the same for our cats.  After a relatively short period of time they will revert to 'survival' mode.  The tears, the upset and worry, the sleepless nights we all have will not apply to them.  They will be adapting to their environment and getting on with it.  They won't be feeling the agony we do.  It's cold comfort maybe, but I made things worse for myself by thinking she was feeling like I am... she won't be.  She'll be in survival mode and making sure she does what she can to stay alive.

doodiebird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is nearly 4 weeks now and there's no sign of her.  I went back to England to get away from things for a while because I was becoming ill.  It helped being in a different place but of course coming back I'm slapped straight back into the horror and  see her everywhere... although of course not in reality.  I'm not ashamed to admit that this is the single worst thing that has ever happened to me.  I've lost relatives and been less upset!  There is a gaping hole in my life now she's gone and the pain is as fresh as it was on day one.  I've updated search sites and even put out a reward.  Maybe someone might put the effort in if there's money to be had.

What worries me is that she was very slight to start with.  We fed her up because she was sooooo skinny when we found her, and she had an appetite like Goliath and nothing was safe from her thieving little face...I loved it.  She was smart, bloody-minded, bad mannered and rude... I adored her.  We found out that she is prone to anaemia and worms and fleas - which living in the countryside will bring - saps her red blood cells quicker than most and she became really, really lethargic.  We got it sorted out and she was loving life again - and then disappeared.  The medications will have faded now and I am heartbroken when I think what state she may be in.  If she's thin and weak she will be pray for a predator - and I hope she is already gone - because the thought of her suffering again after what she went through the first time is too horrible to contemplate.  What kills me is that with our love and care she pulled through the first time and was used to love and devotion, good food, freedom, health and she was really loving life.  I mean, she literally skipped.  She bounced around and had her little routine all worked out.  If she came in to the house and couldn't see us, she'd howl until we called her so she knew we were there.  She didn't like being on her own.  But now.....

There's a chance, I suppose, that someone has rescued her like we did.  I hope they take her to the vets and find out she belongs to someone and we get her back.  Or they may just keep her and she has a new home.  But the options just go round and around.  If I could let it go, I would, but it's just not possible.  I can still feel her.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am  sorry the update was not good news,  You are doing everything you can.  I wish I could give you a hug through my screen.  I hope if someone has taken in your baby they do take her to the vet soon and find out she has a home.  

doodiebird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.  That's so sweet.

doodiebird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - I don't know if this is the right way to update my status on my missing cat Rubis, but here goes.

Yesterday evening I received a phone call from a man who said he is sure he's seen her.  He said she was very thin but had been hanging around because he puts food out for cats.  He said she has been around for a few weeks, but he'd only just seen the picture.  He said she is very very thin.  We rushed straight over with her basket with a stinky item of my clothing (workout stuff) catfood and called her and called her.  She seems to have a routine and she didn't come to us but we are hoping against hope that she will go back soon and eat some of the food we left for him.  He has her bowl and proper food with catmilk which she loves and he has promised to call her as soon as he sees her.  He has also agreed for me to go there regularly and wait to see if she comes.  He also said he will try to encourage her to go in to his house.  He seems a genuinely nice man.

I am totally besdies myself with so many emotions right now.  I'm begging her to stay close to him to get food because he is concerned about her condition.  We are going there this afternoon and will go back again this evening.  Tomorrow he has agreed for me to be there while he is out.  I have also printed more posters of her to put around the area.  The distance from us to where she is isn't far, and so it makes sense that she made her way there.....

Please wish us luck...

Thanks.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thinking of you and hoping for the best.  Could you get a humane trap and try to trap her?  If you put some of her favorite food in it and then wait, you might catch her.  You also could get a trail camera and see if it is really her.

Update when you can.

doodiebird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is what I've done since she disappeared 5 weeks ago:

From day one I have walked and called; night and day - initially every two hours.  One day I walked 10 miles in a circuit - I've looked and called for her as late as midnight and as early as dawn.

I'ved looked up trees, in ditches, on the roads, in the fields, hedgerows woods and forests and surrounding countryside. 

We live in deep rural France and do not have any close neighbours, but I have spoken to all of them and asked them to check their barns.  I have put a picture of her in all the surrounded post boxes

I've asked hunters, trappers and the post lady to keep an eye out.

I have registered her as missing with all the national databases and posted her picture with details in every shop window in the village.  I check 3-4 times a day to see if she's appeared as Found.

The local Maries (Town Hall) have notices in their windows

Local vets have a picture and contact number

I have knocked on doors and asked people directly

I have searched by torchlight and bought a night vision monocular

I have shaken her kibbles bag every time I've been out.  Leaving food out won't help because my other cat will eat it.

I have sprinkled a trail of her urinated cat litter for almost a mile and done the same with my other cat's litter

I have sprayed my own urine from a squirty bottle all around the countryside, leading to our house so she can pick up our scent

I have put clothes with my scent on branches so it can be carried in the wind

Every time we go out in the car ,we look for her, no matter where it is we are going

This man says he sees her regularly so with his permission I have been there with her blankets, and more clothes with my scent on, and a mouse toy she loves which I have put my scent on too.

I've given him a bunch of food and catmilk and advised him to keep water by because she'll be dehydrated by now.. it's 5 weeks and we've had almost 3 months of sweltering heat

He has given me permission to go look for her regularly and sit and wait if need be.

He has promised me when he sees her he will ring me day or night to let me know.  He had two contact numbers.

Friends of ours even contacted a 'psychic' (we didn't know they did this) and he thought she was dead.  But I can 'feel' her and have continued to look... and now we were told she's been seen.

I connect with her and talk to her silently and will her to keep going until we find her.  I tell her she is not on her own and that I will find her... I keep in contact with her and tell her I love her.

I am exhausted with all the hope that gets raised and then diminishes as the time goes on.  I won't give up but I am at a loss for what else I can do....

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have done so much.  I have had two cats go missing.  One was gone 5 months and one 8 months.  I tried everything.  I too just knew they were still out there.  I would talk with them every single night.  They were both feral cats who lived on my deck, but I loved and cared for them just as I do my indoor cats. 

If you have the finances you could get a trail camera and mount it near where the man sees her.  It takes pictures upon movement.  The next day you can retrieve the SD card and view it from a camera or computer.  I have used one before and I know many others have too.  It can be quite helpful. 

I am sending positive thoughts your way that you find your sweet kitty.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope this kitty turns out to be your lost fur baby. Cats have 9 lives for a reason!  Some are just bound and determined to get their monies worth!