Distance of food from shelter

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to this and still figuring things out. I have to admit it's been causing me a lot of stress. I had one black cat that I started feeding, and now there is a little tabby with it, possibly a mother and offspring? Anyway, I think I was bringing them to eat too close to the house. They clearly prefer the safety of the woods, it was just closer for me. The good news is just today I spotted them both using the Rubbermaid shelter I built! I am so happy. Problem is there is a coyote that's been spotted around this area. How far away from their shelter should I feed them? I don't want to risk luring a coyote close to them. The bin I made does not have an emergency exit. At least they are down by the edge of the woods now and have a chance of getting away. I hate to keep moving their food, I need to decide how far away to place it. Thanks for your help!!!!!

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Coyotes, unfortunately, are pretty smart, so one will probably know that there are cats in the area. Feeding during the daytime and bringing food in at night can help discourage other animals like raccoons and possums from eating their food, and coyotes tend to hunt most at dawn and dusk. Try put their food in a location where it doesn't act like bait in a trap. You don't want them to be occupied with eating and get ambushed by a predator.

Each situation like this is unique, and you just have to try to make the best of what's there. The cats in my colony that have survived tend to move along the edges of wooded areas and structures; they don't tend to move directly through open areas where they can be seen.

I feed mine in an old barn/shed that has many bolt holes where cats can get away quickly. I don't know why it's there, but there's a deliberate hole in the floor where they can escape to an area under the floor big enough for cats, but too small for coyotes.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can keep a bowl of dry food close
to their shelter during daylight, but I wouldn't when it's dark. They will get used to a feeding schedule. An exit door is a good idea. In cold and windy weather you can drape a towel or blanket over part of the exits to cut down on draft.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leeann77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice!!! I can't decide if I should cut another hole in the back of the shelter, I hate to move it now that they're using it! I moved the food about 30 feet away from the shelter. Someone posted this picture of a feeding station on another thread. Do you think this would be good because they can run out the other side if a predator comes?