Displays Of Affection: Dogs Vs Cats

HungryPandaCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I currently have two month kitties and before that I've always had dogs. With my dogs I always liked to put my hand over their paw, and they always let me and they give me a look that says "ahh hooman please hold my paw forever and ever I love you so much". I tried to do the same with my cats and their reaction is the complete opposite; they quickly withdraw their paws and give me a look that says "wtf hooman, how dare you touch me".

Me so sad :(

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It depends on the cat. I've had cats who like me touching their paws and I've had those who hate it. I've had those who grow to like it. Cats are more sensitive to touch than dogs in general. So it takes more trust and more of a bond for them to be okay with it and some just don't like it unless they want it. I have a boy that you try to pet him when he doesn't want it and he will bite, but he has super cuddly moments too. Its learning to read your cat a little bit more then you have to read a dog.

Last edited:

Lilacat >(^.^)<

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kiri won't allow touching of any sort, unless its her idea first & then only in limited amounts. She does however love tummy scratches.
Purrin loves her petting, brushing, paws rubs, but not particularly the tummy scratches.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine act like little dogs. They greet me at the door, they meow at me when they wants hugs and they love to nuzzle against my cheeks and give me kisses on my nose...they also let me hold their paw except for when its time to trim the claws :frustrated:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I think dogs in general are more used to having their paws touched especially since they walk outdoors and, therefore, are less sensitive. Our dog was taught to give paw and received a treat afterwards so there was a positive interaction. However, it does depend on the individual cat. Some of my cats have not liked to have their paws touched and others were fine with it. Take it slow, be patient and don't take it personally. ;) Good luck!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Its a bit blurry but I did it!!! That is the look of love (I think)
Yup. It sure is! :lovecat:

Lilith likes having her right back foot rubbed. ONLY that foot. If she is being petted anywhere near that foot, she will put it in your hand for a rub. ONLY that foot. The other 3 are off limits.

Sophie will let me pet her feet but it's like belly rubs. Just for a few seconds.