Displaced indoor cat outside in high heat

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That’s what I’m hoping for as well and I understand the so close but so far away thing perfectly! When she’s out behind our barn she’s about 200 feet away from my house. Which is a little far for her. But still on my property. There are two places she likes to hunt for her food, behind the house and behind the barn. I’m hoping to be able to catch her with a toy mouse in a live trap . Using her own instincts against her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She is very pretty but you can see from the pic that what you are saying is exactly what is happening. That sort of surprised look like she knows you but doesn't.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've established a routine now - early morning and late evening she's usually waiting for me on the stump and as soon as I set down her food dish and step away she comes over and eats. This morning when I went back out to get the dish she was back sitting on the stump. She yowled a bit and I told her she needed to stop this silliness and she closed her eyes to me a few times. So I think she's a little more comfortable. I went and got a Churro treat and first put a little in her bowl by the fence opening and she came and licked it out. Then I held out the package and she licked the rest out of the package with me holding it. I was able to momentarily touch her head. I think we're close. I may try to grab her this evening. I want to make sure I can do it in one attempt. What a silly girl.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I certainly hope you can grab her tonight! I’m aggravated that I can’t even get close enough to my cat to even give her food. I have put a small amount of food on a paper plate for her in hopes that she will continue to come back to the dirt mound behind the barn and hopefully catch her under the barn.

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
SHE'S INSIDE!! :happycat::happycat::happycat::happycat:

She's was waiting as usual for her dinner. I fed her a little less and then went out a few minutes later with some treats and she was back sitting on the stump. I was able to get her to come through the fence for 2 treats and I was preparing to grab her on the third one but she wouldn't come out. I went back in and waited a few minutes and then went out with some freeze-dried chicken hearts that are really smelly. Instead of trying to lure her closer to the house & door I got as close to the fence as I thought I could and still grab her. I had to sit with her for a while and finally she came through and I slowly held the treat just out of her range until she was close enough in front of my body that I could snatch her. Then I grabbed her and it was just a few steps to the open door. Unfortunately the inner glass door to the rest of the house was shut and she ran right into. But she's fine. Then she hid under the couch a few minutes and started yowling. Now she's casually walking around the house but still acting a little confused and fearful. She rubbed my husbands legs and let me pet her tentatively. I'm sure she'll come around like she did last time. Her brother, Link, hissed at her like last time but not really aggressively. I'm sure they'll be cuddling again within a week.

The little stinker! I'm so glad she's home.
:):):):):):):)

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
SHE'S INSIDE!! :happycat::happycat::happycat::happycat:

She's was waiting as usual for her dinner. I fed her a little less and then went out a few minutes later with some treats and she was back sitting on the stump. I was able to get her to come through the fence for 2 treats and I was preparing to grab her on the third one but she wouldn't come out. I went back in and waited a few minutes and then went out with some freeze-dried chicken hearts that are really smelly. Instead of trying to lure her closer to the house & door I got as close to the fence as I thought I could and still grab her. I had to sit with her for a while and finally she came through and I slowly held the treat just out of her range until she was close enough in front of my body that I could snatch her. Then I grabbed her and it was just a few steps to the open door. Unfortunately the inner glass door to the rest of the house was shut and she ran right into. But she's fine. Then she hid under the couch a few minutes and started yowling. Now she's casually walking around the house but still acting a little confused and fearful. She rubbed my husbands legs and let me pet her tentatively. I'm sure she'll come around like she did last time. Her brother, Link, hissed at her like last time but not really aggressively. I'm sure they'll be cuddling again within a week.

The little stinker! I'm so glad she's home.
:):):):):):):)
freeze-dried chicken heart
That’s something I never thought trying in a trap!

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! That’s exactly how I feel. I was up all night worrying that the door was open and the cats would get out. Things are normalizing today. I told my husband if he lets the cats get out again he had to go live behind the shed with the possum! ;):p

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! That’s exactly how I feel. I was up all night worrying that the door was open and the cats would get out. Things are normalizing today. I told my husband if he lets the cats get out again he had to go live behind the shed with the possum! ;):p
I can’t even begin to imagine what you went through a second time!
Once is enough for me! I sure hope tonight is a good night for me and bubbles!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm distraught. In April my highly sensitive, exclusively indoor cat Navi got outside and it took us 26 days to get her back inside. She was in our yard or very nearby the whole time, most likely. But I only saw her a very few times and that was near the end when I'm pretty sure she finally let down her fear instinct and made herself more seen. I was then able to lure her with treats and scoop her up. I think at that point she wanted to be caught. Back inside she was a changed cat - so much more affectionate and she'd actually sit in my lap and relax into me. Wanted to sit in my lap all the time.

Anyway, early Monday morning my husband accidentally left the door open again. I know, inexplicable and I still have a lot of anger about this. Actually both of our cats got out, but the other cat, Link, doesn't have as strong of a fear instinct and he came around in a few hours and I was able to bring him back in.

I'm doing everything I did last time and she hasn't shown herself yet, but I did see her on the camera a few nights ago. My big concern right now is we are expecting record heat here in Oregon. It's supposed to be over 90 for several days and even over 100 and up to 112+ which is pretty crazy for this area. I've put out numerous water bowls around the yard. Is there anything else I can do? Should I be overly concerned about her ability to survive in the heat? Considering that we just went through this a few months ago I'm pretty traumatized but am trying to keep it together to get this cat back inside. And yes, my husband finally fixed the door that wasn't catching (but I'm still mad at him.)
Go out and call her. Leave a window/ door open and lock other kitty in a room, leave her litterbox outside, dirty laundry etc. and try the trap again. Good luck🤗 * just noticed she is back, yay! 😻