Disinfecting after distemper

Buster799

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, a few weeks ago I brought a 4 month old rescue kitten into my home that had possible/probable contact with distemper shortly after she was vaccinated (I did not know this at the time) she was infested with fleas and it’s VERY cold where I live so instead of giving her a bath straight away I rubbed her down with my usual flea spray. 20 minutes later she started puking and didn’t stop for a day and a half until I took her to the vet. They kept her over night but she didn’t make it. They said that she COULD have had a birth defect that was sped along by the flea medication, but even though they did blood tests they really didn’t know what happened. I also had 3 6 week old feral kittens in a separate room, they were on antibiotics for a uri but were coming along great. They had worms but I wanted to finish their antibiotics before I dewormed them. 5 days after the first one died the smallest one started throwing up and stopped eating, and died within 24 hours. Then the 2nd. Then the 3rd. However first one got sick after he got dewormed with pyrantel and threw up a TON of worms. So now I’m going crazy trying to figure out what is going on in my house. Was it worm anemia that could have killed them that fast or is it the dreaded parvovirus. I have so much guilt over this and do NOT want to go through this again. But I also don’t want to stop helping kittens in need and tnvr season is soon and sometimes I have to hold them until they can be released.

so my question is, does this sound like distemper and how do I clean my house now? Before I knew they were sick I had these babies in my bed, and they threw up on my carpet. The first kitten puked on my couch. I can’t seem to find a list of specific cleaning products online other than rescue and bleach. I’m not sure if either are safe for my carpet or furniture. Where do I even begin here?! I just want to make it safe for future rescues without having to wait an entire year without being able to bring them inside. I do plan at the very least to stay away from small kittens and only bring cats inside that have been vaccinated. But will one vaccination work and how long will it take to be effective. I’ve already begun bleaching and throwing out as much as I can but I feel like I will never get everything clean. If you have been here before please share your story and how you over came this!!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
While I can't speak for some of your questions, I can speak for using rescue as a cleaning product. We use rescue in the shelter I volunteer at (a local SPCA) and it does it's job fantastically. Each and every fabric/couch/carpet is different, so always test it in a small area to see if any discoloration will occur. I've got rescue in my carpet cleaner to help disinfect a room after I foster a bunch of kittens, wipes for hard surfaces, and I've added it to my washing machine if I had clothes that were potentially infected (in addition to adding bleach). Personally I've not had any times where it has discolored or ruined any of my carpets, fabrics or the like.
If you have the time available, deep clean your carpets with it. But, please please please wear gloves when using rescue. It will dry your hands out really bad, almost like they were sunburned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Buster799

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While I can't speak for some of your questions, I can speak for using rescue as a cleaning product. We use rescue in the shelter I volunteer at (a local SPCA) and it does it's job fantastically. Each and every fabric/couch/carpet is different, so always test it in a small area to see if any discoloration will occur. I've got rescue in my carpet cleaner to help disinfect a room after I foster a bunch of kittens, wipes for hard surfaces, and I've added it to my washing machine if I had clothes that were potentially infected (in addition to adding bleach). Personally I've not had any times where it has discolored or ruined any of my carpets, fabrics or the like.
If you have the time available, deep clean your carpets with it. But, please please please wear gloves when using rescue. It will dry your hands out really bad, almost like they were sunburned.
That’s exactly the info I needed thank you!! When you put it in the carpet cleaner do you mix it with the carpet soap or just straight rescue and water?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Me personally, unless I'm cleaning a visible stain, I just use water and rescue. Your carpet will be wet for a bit, so bring fans in to help it dry faster.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But will one vaccination work and how long will it take to be effective.
I have heard that just one vaccination is very effective - but, to be on the safe side, can you consult with your vet to see what is standard in your area? Whatever number they deem to be the norm is what I would follow if I were you.