Discovered Stray/feral Mother & 4 Kittens. One Of Them Limping!

cjcs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So maybe a couple weeks ago, we saw a mother cat and kittens in our backyard. We figured they were just passing through as I'd seen the mother cat pass through our yard in the past. They quickly scampered over the fence so I couldn't tell how many kittens there were. There appeared to be at least three.

Well, today my wife was looking out the bedroom window and saw a kitten walking around in that same area of our backyard. By the time I went out to look for it, it had hidden under some rubble of broken-up concrete and rebar. I tried to coax it out but it wouldn't come. I could barely see its face in the dark recess of the rubble. I put a bit of tuna out to entice it but it wasn't budging.

I went back inside and a bit later heard some rustling outside the window. The mother had returned and now I saw four kittens in total. They appeared to still be nursing or at least trying to nurse, but they were old enough to climb over fences, so I'm guessing they're at least six weeks old. I'm not very good at telling that sort of thing, though. They appear to be living in a tight nook inside the rubble! The rubble is in no danger of collapsing on its own but the nook is pretty much inaccessible to us. As it got dark, I think they all went into there to sleep for the night.

This is obviously not good but to make matters worse, it looked like one of the kittens had either an injured or malformed front leg/paw. That kitten was a good deal smaller than the rest and was limping as it walked, just barely able to put its left front paw on the ground. It was difficult to tell looking from the window but that leg/paw looks like it might just be deformed and withered, perhaps even missing the paw part entirely. Although I guess it's possible it's injured. But the fact that it's smaller than the rest tells me it might just be the runt due to a physical abnormality. In fact, I think it's possible that was the kitten my wife originally saw that went hiding in the rubble. It could be that this kitten gets left behind as the mother and the others go out and hunt for food?

Needless to say, this is very sad and upsetting! I don't know what we should do! Trapping a whole litter and its mother doesn't seem very feasible. I figure they would eventually "move out" but I'm afraid the little one might not make it and end up suffering and/or getting left behind. It's really quite impossible to retrieve these cats from the place they're hiding. I don't want to try to move the rubble to gain access because doing that might actually wind up injuring them.

I can take a photo of the area tomorrow to show you what the situation is, if that helps. I'm going to call the local Humane Society tomorrow as well to hear what they suggest. Any ideas?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What to do depends in much, on what YOU are willing and able to do. I understand you are wanting to help out, but how much? Are you able to take in and foster some of them? All? Perhaps even be an adoption home, furever home?

And I understand your concern is in first hand the disabled one. Whom will do nicely as a home cat, but will perish as a homeless cat...

Anyways, for momma there is always the alternative of TNR - neuter her, and she can be released back if fostering and adoption isnt no hot alternative.

The kittens should be able to foster and adopt out, without much trouble. BUT the time is running! They must be catched very soon now. Later on will the fostering be more difficult.

The disabled kitten is the easiest, both to catch and to foster. I presume, if you can take and adopt just one, it will be this one??

Momma and the kittens must probably be catched in a trap. A so called humane trap "Havahart" for example.
Begin to set out food regularly, so they see your place as not only their hidey hole, but also their food source. Next step will be to give the food in the traps.. And soon enough, the catch.

So yes, contact this Human society, and hear what they can help with. IF you are willing to be the fostering home, tell so. Its not seldom their bottle-neck isnt money, but fostering places...

Observe also, just admitting a shy semiferal to an average shelter, is really another way to pts it. Be sure they do work with TNR-programme OR have fostering homes lined up...

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding them? It would be great if you could leave out some bowls of dry cat food during daylight hours and establish a feeding pattern with them. They will come to expect you to put out food at a certain time in the morning, for example. Perhaps in the AM you could put some canned food out as well. This will be helpful in establishing trust with them and beginning the socialization process, and will set the stage for trapping them. Also when you bring out the food, talk softly to them so they know your voice. You might also consider setting up an alternate place to shelter in your back yard--a pet house filled with straw or one of the homemade shelters made from tupperware that many have discussed on this forum. They may leave the concrete in favor if something nicer. I know it can be overwhelming dealing with so many issues at a time, but I woukd make getting the limping kitten to a vet a priority. You have some time before worrying about getting the kittens fixed, but getting mom spayed would be the second priority. Thanks for helping these cats!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C cjcs

Yes, please begin feeding them 3 times a day with both wet and dry food, plus a bowl of fresh water.

The smaller kitten with the limp may have an injury that is swollen and/or infected. It may need an antibiotic.

Establishing trust is the first step, and food is the best way to help them initially. The kittens need lots of food to grow at this age, and they are all probably very hungry, including mom.

The Have A Heart traps are available at big box home stores and are not expensive.

Shop Havahart Animal Trap at Lowes.com

Thank you for caring about this cat family. Please let us know if they are all eating now. :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello C cjcs , I agree with the above posters to trap them ASAP especially the injured one. On top of that, the earlier you trap them, the easier for them to be socialized and be adopted or fostered out.

The injured kitten will be a special need kitten and have to pay more attention to it. Also have the momma cat spayed so that she don't get pregnant again. Taking them off the streets is the best you can do for them.

Having said all these, on behalf of The Catsite community, I warmly welcome you to TCS :wave3:

I'm tabbytom and I'm a Mentor here in Catsite. Feel free to ask questions if you have any in regards to getting around the site. I'm here to help :thumbsup:

Here are some articles to read to help you get started with the site.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Forum Rules
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

Do check out the informative forum threads and also the many good reads in the Articles section too.

And lastly, do introduce yourself to the community in New Cats on the Block and do post photos of your kitty if you have any for us to see :wink:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a dog or cat carrier? Sometimes you can catch kittens with a carrier, sitting at a distance with a string attached to the door. Just put some yummy tuna or seafood flavored cat food inside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjcs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, guys. Thanks for all the helpful replies. Sorry I haven't checked in for a while. Today, we managed to trap all four kittens and the animal shelter is going to get them fixed and try to get them adopted. We'll see how that goes. At least they'll get food and care now. Hopefully, the one with the paw problem will get some help as it seemed to be a good deal smaller than the rest. We still have to try to trap the mom so she doesn't have more babies! I'll let you know how it goes.

cjcs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The sad part is the mom came back this evening looking for them. Calling out to them and stuff. We're going to try to trap her too and get her fixed but we have to wait until next week. I put some food out to comfort the mom but she's not eating it, just lying nearby diligently waiting. She runs if I try to approach her. Heartbreaking! :bawling:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens in the shelter now? There is some dangeer disabled will be pts if they think adoption home is difficult to find. I thought. YOU were going to foster. Perhaps do guarantee the shelter there will be home waiting?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C cjcs

This is very sad. I was going to say to show the mom her kittens, and it would help to catch her. But you have already turned them in?

cjcs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, our living situation is not one where we can be taking in any cats. But I had to do something. No one in this neighborhood cares about this kind of stuff. I talked to several neighbors and they'd all seen the cats and even knew that one of them was "injured" and did nothing. It's a harsh world out there for little kitties. The shelter apparently has a good program for finding them homes so we'll see how that goes. They're going to keep me posted.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, something even a little makes the difference and is surely better than not doing anything. Its alike the biblical tale of the poor widows little penny which did the difference...