Discouraging Strays From Coming In The Yard

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

These two have started showing up in my backyard. Alex and Tyler are not very happy about this. Are there any suggestions for things I can do to discourage the two black kitties from coming up on my deck? They have been closer than this but I didn’t get a picture of them. They show up most evenings at dusk. I have no new neighbors. I don’t want to resort to trapping them and taking them to the shelter.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I hope you get some good strategies. I have a similar problem with a little tuxedo visitor. My three indoor cats get pretty upset (and the sudden shrieks of rage scare the heck out of me!).

JT'w/3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I purchased the motion sensor water sprayers on Amazon and they seem to be working for some of the critters that visit us at night. I didn't get the "scarecrow" brand because of the negative reviews instead I purchased the "Orbit Yard Enforcer" on Amazon (based on all the reviews). The jury is still out on whether or not this is something I'd recommend. Good Luck...

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try using these "cat scat garden mats". I don't know if they work but they look like mats with plastic spikes on them. I don't think it punctures kitty paws but probably makes them uncomfortable to walk on. If you put a few layers around your perimeter, might work: