Discolouration of claws and the causes

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just went to trim my boy Sheamus's nails and found that one of his dew claws is discoloured at the base. as far as I know he has had no trama to it. and I have never cut his nails short. I also try to make sure I trim them at lest every 2-3 week as this is what my vet recommened. anyone have any ideas what could cause this?

^^^ this is what his nail looks like.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmm, almost looks like it bled way down under (before it grew out).  Does it seem to bother him when you touch it? 

Maybe you could send that picture to your Vet and see what they think?  That's what I'd do, but I have a great relationship with my vet. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It does not seem to bother him as much as it does me LOL. been trying to ring my vet but they seem to be really busy. Maybe I should try facebooking them LOL. Could this cause problems later on for this nail tho?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Could this cause problems later on for this nail tho?
I honestly don't know the answer to your question, and I can't find anything similar to this issue in any threads/research.  That's why I suggested sending the photo to your Vet.   My gut instinct tells me "no", but I'm not a medical professional.