Discoloration and sores on cat's mouth?

alexis gabriel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. First time poster here looking for some advice for my 3yo domestic short hair orange and white tabby, Jack Jack.

In the past few months he's developed some discoloration under his chin, as shown in the photo below, which I was told by his vet is pretty normal. But today these two red spots showed up above and below where his left canine (are they still called that on cats?) hits his upper and bottom lip. He does not have the spots or discoloration on the other side of his mouth.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Does it warrant a trip to the vet? Normally I would just take him, but money is a bit tight at the moment and I would also hate to stress him out by bringing him in for nothing.

A couple months ago he was seeming to only chew on the opposite side of his mouth when he ate so we thought he might have a sore tooth, but that stopped soon after and he's seemed fine ever since. He has never had his teeth cleaned. We do have a cleaning scheduled for his next checkup, but that's not until October.

I am an admitted crazy cat mom who tends to freak out when any new little thing like this pops up, but I figure anyone on a message board like this will be able to empathize :) Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated! Thanks.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry that so far no one has posted in your thread !!!!!!!! We try to get them all and extend apologies and hope that you come back to check.

To me on first look, it appears that your cats canine tooth is large and rubbing your kitties lips as it is red above and below. It is also possible that a chin acne may be starting which can be related to diet or immunity issues. I would start by washing the yellowish area of the chin with Hibiclens http://www.hibiclens.com/retail daily if you can. Easily bought at a pharmacy. It will help to keep the area clean. Are there any black looking clogged pores? This would definitely be acne then.

My only other thought would be some sort of allergy. I am sure you will keep watch on the area and would contact you vet if you see it spreading. If it stays the same, then it may just be that tooth and you kitties lips being rubbed. Hope others will chime in here. :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited: