Discharge from eyes & sneezing

arcje

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! First off all, I'am glad that I find this forum. I am worried a lot regarding my health issue of my cat so I am trying as much as posible to collect some informations / advices which can improve my cat's health. I talked with at leat 5 vet's in my city and still didn't find something which can help me.

My little cat which is almost 3 months now has a problem with her eyes & sneezing. Everything started exactly one month ago, whe she started to have a white / green discharge from her right eye. The same day I discussed with the Vet and I was suggested to use Tobramycin & Gentocin - both of them eye drops for 3 days. Nothing changed, so I discussed again with the Vet, performed the Schimmer test (Left 10mm / Right 15mm), fluorescent test - negative, analysis from lab was negative for fungus / bacterias on her eyes. - Treatment changed for: Mibazon ointment, doxycycline ointment, Virgan antiviral ointment / gel & probiotics. We did the treament for 7 days, everything started to be improved and after one week since I stopped the treatment as Vet advice, I saw again the same discharge from her eyes and the third eyelid from right eye it was stucked half on her eye. I reached the Vet again, used Optixcare to unstuck the third eyelid and received new antibiotics - Therios and Vetomune for imune system. At this point I was a little bit confused because she was still a babycat and as Vet said it also risky to give her again antibiotics. I started looking again for Vets just to have more information, because everybody said something different. Last 3 vets told me that the cat has rhinotracheitis, so it will be recommended to make an injection with Convenia antibiotics and continue with Virgan antiviral. It was passed ttwo weeks and there was no change. The green / white fluid is it still leaking for her eyes, sneezing still there and just today the eyelid from left eye now it was again a little bit covering the eye.

I read different topics on this forum before I write this topic but still didnt know on which way I can take it. The plan is again to reach out some Vets from different city. I received also a recommendation about Famciclovir and the same I saw on this forum. Currently I cannot find this is my country so is there any alternativ for Famciclovir? How about suppliments L-Lysine - does it help to recover?

Any help can be usefull, thank you!!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The article link below talks about famciclovir and mentions penciclovir as a derivative. These are oral anti-viral meds, so maybe ask your vet about other types of oral anti-viral meds. There are some other anti-viral meds discussed in the second article link below.

Maybe some of the meds you have already tried need to be given/applied for a longer time than what has been done?

There are folks on this site that use L-lysine, but another immune support supplement is DMG (dimethylglycine); you might want to look into it as well. These won't treat a bacterial infection, which is likely going on, they are more for ongoing immune support.

Have any of the vets taken a swab of the discharge and had it analyzed to see if that might shed some light on the most effective treatment(s)?

Famciclovir (Famvir) for Cats - Cat-World
Antiviral Therapy For Cats - Cat-World

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

arcje

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Sorry for the late reply, but the things are improving. I just visited another Vet from different city and he recommended to use an-hypro eye gel + lysine viral plus. She is much better now, there is still a little discharge, but not same as it was before.

They since a swab of the discharge since she was at her first Vet, but they didn't found anything.