Discharge and some Redness near Eye

vianandcleo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I’m new to this forum and just joined today because I tried looking online and didn’t really get any useful answers. I’m a new cat owner and got my cat, Cleo, about 3 weeks ago. When I got her I noticed that she had some “eye boogers” near one of her eyes but I just wiped it off because a friend of mine said it was really nothing (she’s been a cat owner for all her life). I looked at Cleo today and now she has a little bit of redness near her eyes, is this something I need to be worried about? She doesn’t show any signs of irritation behavior wise, her eye is always open as normal and she’s eating, using the litter box and playing. Any ideas what to do?

Attachments

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi - I would just monitor it for now. It sounds like it could be a recurring viral infection which is really common in cats. One of my cats gets a squinty/red/itchy eye every 6 months or so. I used to give her Tobradex (prescribed from vet) drops but realized that the eye was just getting better on its own even when I didn't give any drops so I no longer give them. I would just monitor her for the next couple of days and take her to the vet if it gets worse. If it is because of an underlying viral infection the best thing to do is to minimize stress as the occurences tend to be stress-triggered in many cats.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

vianandcleo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - I would just monitor it for now. It sounds like it could be a recurring viral infection which is really common in cats. One of my cats gets a squinty/red/itchy eye every 6 months or so. I used to give her Tobradex (prescribed from vet) drops but realized that the eye was just getting better on its own even when I didn't give any drops so I no longer give them. I would just monitor her for the next couple of days and take her to the vet if it gets worse. If it is because of an underlying viral infection the best thing to do is to minimize stress as the occurences tend to be stress-triggered in many cats.
Thank you, Ive been watching her eye and it never seems to get worse, just stays the same or gets better on and off. I will continue monitoring her eye but if it stays the same I think she will be okay.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Ive been watching her eye and it never seems to get worse, just stays the same or gets better on and off. I will continue monitoring her eye but if it stays the same I think she will be okay.
If it really is something chronic that happens quite often then it may still be worth a visit to the vet who might be able to give something to relieve the irritation.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly...my cat Snowball had an eye issue awhile back..where it started like the cat in the thread starter picture...It started off just like that..but when took him to the VET..they said he was clinically diagnosed with the herpes virus... .and gave him the antibiotic...and cleaned his eye with a damp soft wag..cotton ball perhaps...And kept stress LOW...And hes doing better...But it's like a scarring of slight redness thats still healing...

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably aggravated by allergies. The red spot could be from rubbing her eye excessively. Do you see her grooming her face a lot?
And YES dust..dander..in the home...can cause it..irritation...perfumes..cologne...air fresheners..even foods...litter...anything you have changed or that the kitty is allergic to...But YES I would personally get VET to check out..cause I didn't.at first.cause I was thinking it was nothing..and NOW im on watch for my kitty eye..all the time..its a new job for me..but worth it for my kitty's health..in the long run..

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I would get the VET to look at it..And if its nothing GREAT..but if its something the VET can give you something to help it before it gets worse down the road..Cause my snowball's eye started having crusty stuff in the corner..of just one eye..and I thought nothing of it I cleaned it and it didn't get any worse...but BAM one day it started to really get red around the eye...out if no WHERE..IMO. Get VET to look at it ...

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know her background at all? Could be she is herpes positive and is having a flare up. If cats get it once they become lifetime carriers it goes dormant but can flare up when they are stressed.