Dirty mouth area

nemoraa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! So a week ago I rescued a tiny kitten, she was very dirty and covered in fleas, so I had to give her a flea bath (tho I need to give her another cause I didn't get all the fleas 🤦‍♀️and now she's itching again) after I give her a bath she looked very clran obviously, but well I don't think she cleans her mouth often and now it's very dirty, I tried to clean it but just one or two days later it will become dirty again. She likes to play in some parts of my housr that's dirty so I kinda understand, but I'm also aftaid if this is some skin issues, it has no bumps so I doubt it's cat acne, and usually when I cleaned it with cotton and water, there will be like grimes (?) Or dirt coming off that dirty mouth area, but after that it would be clean, and be dirty again

She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable with it but she's a big drama queen and she hates it when I cleaned her face, I usually will clean her face before I give her dood (I know, stupid, but it's the only way to make her not make a big fuss out of it)
But I'm also afraid if it's some kind of fungal or irritation that I didn't know of

Do you have any idea how to clean her face fast and with what solution (water or nacl or anything)
She's very clean with her paws and stuff but just her mouth 🤦‍♀️
I attached the pic of her after the bath, and her dirty chin, and her pic now (but it's blurry cause she just can't stay put 😂)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nemoraa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for all the typos too, I tend to make them and not realizing it
Anyway if anyone is confused, I cleaned her face before giving her food

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The pictures are blurry so it’s hard to tell, but does it look like little black/brown flecks stuck in her fur around her mouth?

If so, it’s most likely cat acne. Chin acne on cats isn’t usually little bumps, it usually looks more like dirt or tiny blackheads. Switch to ceramic or glass bowls for her food and water if you’re not using them already, plastic can retain bacteria that cause acne when a cat rubs their face on the bowl.

To treat it, it’s possible it’ll get better with just some gentle exfoliating. When my cat had chin acne I used a soft toothbrush with some warm water and gently brushed around his mouth once a day, and then wiped it with a washcloth. If that doesn’t help, you can use a gentle cat safe antiseptic like these: PET MD Chlorhexidine Antiseptic Dog & Cat Wipes, 50 count - Chewy.com and wipe the area once a day

nemoraa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The pictures are blurry so it’s hard to tell, but does it look like little black/brown flecks stuck in her fur around her mouth?

If so, it’s most likely cat acne. Chin acne on cats isn’t usually little bumps, it usually looks more like dirt or tiny blackheads. Switch to ceramic or glass bowls for her food and water if you’re not using them already, plastic can retain bacteria that cause acne when a cat rubs their face on the bowl.

To treat it, it’s possible it’ll get better with just some gentle exfoliating. When my cat had chin acne I used a soft toothbrush with some warm water and gently brushed around his mouth once a day, and then wiped it with a washcloth. If that doesn’t help, you can use a gentle cat safe antiseptic like these: PET MD Chlorhexidine Antiseptic Dog & Cat Wipes, 50 count - Chewy.com and wipe the area once a day
It's still hard to take a pic cause she'sso hyper most of the time and sleep somewhere dark so I can't take a pic 😂 I'll update when I'm able to take a better pic.
I do use metal bowl and wash it everytime I'm giving her food, but it's on her upper lip too so I'm confused isn't cat acne usually only appears on the chin?

Also it's almost impossible to gentle exfoliate it cause I tried to do that but well, she thinks the brush is a toy and start biting it 🤦‍♀️

My friend told me to use virgin coconut oil or olive oil, leave it overnight and wipe it with warm water next morning, is it a good idea?

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's still hard to take a pic cause she'sso hyper most of the time and sleep somewhere dark so I can't take a pic 😂 I'll update when I'm able to take a better pic.
I do use metal bowl and wash it everytime I'm giving her food, but it's on her upper lip too so I'm confused isn't cat acne usually only appears on the chin?

Also it's almost impossible to gentle exfoliate it cause I tried to do that but well, she thinks the brush is a toy and start biting it 🤦‍♀️

My friend told me to use virgin coconut oil or olive oil, leave it overnight and wipe it with warm water next morning, is it a good idea?
That’s good you’re using a metal bowl. Definitely don’t use oil. Coconut oil can clog pores so you don’t want that, and if she licks it off it might give her diarrhea which is not fun. Does it look like the picture I linked to in my post at all? This: http://vetbook.org/wiki/cat/images/thumb/c/cc/Acne02.jpg/300px-Acne02.jpg

If it’s not straightforward mild acne I would make a vet appointment. It could be some other type of rash.

Also if you do need to get her to stay still for something, lots of cats will tolerate being swaddled in a blanket. I had to swaddle my cat in a hand towel when he was a kitten so I could brush his chin lol

nemoraa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s good you’re using a metal bowl. Definitely don’t use oil. Coconut oil can clog pores so you don’t want that, and if she licks it off it might give her diarrhea which is not fun. Does it look like the picture I linked to in my post at all? This: http://vetbook.org/wiki/cat/images/thumb/c/cc/Acne02.jpg/300px-Acne02.jpg

If it’s not straightforward mild acne I would make a vet appointment. It could be some other type of rash.

Also if you do need to get her to stay still for something, lots of cats will tolerate being swaddled in a blanket. I had to swaddle my cat in a hand towel when he was a kitten so I could brush his chin lol
I think it may be acne! It looked similar to your pic
I got nice pics of her finally
If it get worse I'll check it up to a vet along with her vaccination soon, but for now I'll try my best to clean/exfoliate it. I tried swadling her a few hours ago but she was at max energy level and yeah, got away pretty soon 😂
I'll try again later this night after I feed her, I think she'll more chill and sleepy after food it might works hhhh
The thing is she also liked to sleep on dirty places, like in the pic, it's my shoerack 😂 so I probably need to exfoliate it like at least once a day

Attachments