Dirty Litter Container

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is lightly off topic but i thought you might be able to help.

I am in need of something to help thwart the stinkies.

Right now i feed my cats in my office during the day. they eat this nasty smelling wet food. But it leaves stinky empties in the trash.

up till now I've just put a separate trash can in to keep some control. but it's getting out of control.

I was wondering if anyone here knows of something like a diaper genie that I could throw things in that stink but the can 'seals' enough to keep the stink under control.

I would still clean it every other day, but that in between time is... well. gross.

and at the same time I could use it during the mid-day period on the litter box. I clean their boxes twice a day, but inevitably within 30 minutes of cleaning, one decides that's the trigger he needs to leave some rather foul smelling baby ruth's in the box. I could use this 'container' to dump those too!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the litter boxes, add baking soda.

That might also work for the waste basket, but the easier solution is simply to rinse the cans thoroughly. If you do it immediately it isn't difficult; I do it all the time since I recycle and they don't accept dirty cans. If you're talking about pouches, either bring an empty plastic grocery bag from home (first making sure that it has no holes) and put the empty pouches in there and tie it closed, or try the baking soda.

Margret

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a Litter Genie, that might work for you. For the food cans, wash them out and recycle! :D

If you need something cheap/low-tech, a lot of people use the litter bucket that 35-pound Tidy Cats comes in. It has a flip top that seals pretty well so that should keep the smell in.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never mind a Diaper Genie, any cheap diaper bin works just fine for containing smells. My parents used clay litter, so they used a diaper bin for the waste since that stuff smells horrendous.

As for cans, just rinse them out and they won't smell. They're recyclable anyway, so they really shouldn't go in the trash.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I replied quickly this morning. But I've gotten the biodegradable doggie poop bags in the past. Just keep a roll attached to the handle of the litter scoop and pull out a bag as needed. I've never had a problem with the trash smelling like poop and they are right there.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten's litter box is in my bathroom. I just use a tall rectangular plastic food storage container with a clip-on lid from Dollar Tree. I sink a grocery produce bag in it for a liner. I like it because it doesn't take much space, gets dumped every couple days, and is easy to wash. (It does stink when you open the lid. :barfgreen:)

Really any container with a lid should work for you.