Dirty bottom & licking

Cheesey boy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats very dirty bottom & licking has yielded no answers from vets, and honestly it's getting to be incredibly expensive for me to figure out why my cats bottom is dirty & why he is licking!

I don't think it's diarrhea or poo bc it doesn't smell, or wash off like you would expect.

After going to the vet them checking his glands and prescrining an allergy shot, I moved and had a new vet. They took some skin samples and told me he had a bacterial and fungal infection. The fur around the base of his tail is thinned from him excessively licking. He took the meds, they checked him again and said that it was all gone. Fast forwards to early March
the furr has not grown back as much as I would have hoped, so I take him back. They test his poops and find that there is no parasites either. So still no answers, he might be licking it as a habit or attention since we discouraged him licking while it was infected, but part of me think it has something to do with his dirty bottom! Help! I just want him happy and his skin and fur to be healthy again!! And for me to financially be able to pay my rent with all these vet visits.

Other than this, he is the most playful, active, sweet cat, who displays no sensitive to the area. It's just driving me crazy!

Attachments

asponhei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I remember when we got our little one he had to be shaved because of fleas. It took a while for his fur to grow back. It could be taking a while because your little one is so used to it but hopefully with time his fure will grow back. We now have had ours for 2 years and his fur I feel is still growing especially on his tail the rest of him is a long haired cat. Good luck

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you treated him for fleas with Revolution (the regular one , not the plus) Did they ever do any follow up to see if the fungal bacterial infection cleared? What meds was he put on at that time and did it help? Do you remember the name of the fungal infection or the bacteria? Can you take a picture of the entire cat?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats very dirty bottom & licking has yielded no answers from vets, and honestly it's getting to be incredibly expensive for me to figure out why my cats bottom is dirty & why he is licking!

I don't think it's diarrhea or poo bc it doesn't smell, or wash off like you would expect.

After going to the vet them checking his glands and prescrining an allergy shot, I moved and had a new vet. They took some skin samples and told me he had a bacterial and fungal infection. The fur around the base of his tail is thinned from him excessively licking. He took the meds, they checked him again and said that it was all gone. Fast forwards to early March
the furr has not grown back as much as I would have hoped, so I take him back. They test his poops and find that there is no parasites either. So still no answers, he might be licking it as a habit or attention since we discouraged him licking while it was infected, but part of me think it has something to do with his dirty bottom! Help! I just want him happy and his skin and fur to be healthy again!! And for me to financially be able to pay my rent with all these vet visits.

Other than this, he is the most playful, active, sweet cat, who displays no sensitive to the area. It's just driving me crazy!
What are you feeding him? It could be allergies. If not all ready,give him some fancy feast classics wet food,avoid fish since it is high allergin and addictive. Have you watched him use the litterbox?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are his ears nice and pink and healthy with no waxy stuff? A tech told me once that if it involves ears or rears, food allergies may be the culprit and secondary infections from licking or itching can take hold easily. maggie101 maggie101 mentioned fancy feast classics, that's what I would try.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor guy, I hope you figure this out. It does look like poop in his bum, but if he had runs you would know. Can you wipe his bum after he goes and then put some ointment on it? That may help. Two of mine who tend to get runs have had some again. I am sure it is from new food intro although I am only giving small bits. I wipe their bum with wet diaper wipes or water and paper towel to clean them, and Zena I shaved because he is longhair and it gets stuck but he will need it again soon. I did a poop test which was neg but can't get them to dvm due to injury now. Zena went back to mostly normal poop for now and Merlin still has a bit of soft poop after normal, very odd. The fur loss could be from allergies/itching and over licking etc.

Did dvm say what infections he had and was it properly treated? Merlin had c diff when he came in and Zena had giardiasis but they were treated. Eventually home cooked food cured it all. But I can't make it now due to injury, although I am still making some chicken wings for tidbits. I think the freeze dried raw may have made them worse so they aren't eating it now, but Quinn can eat that and everything now, fingers crossed. I had one dry food gf which they seemed to be able to eat. Zena will only eat dry food now and canned tuna. But I think the canned tuna food was giving him and maybe Merlin runs too. I am not sure really.