Dirt near cats eye!

georgsloth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I wasn't sure where to post this so I hope this will do.

This morning when my cat woke me up, I saw what looks like a piece of his kitty litter gravel stuck in the corner of his eye. I know it isn't eye discharge as it is pure white, round, and looks solid. When I tried removing it, his eye obviously finches and closes, completely enveloping the piece of gravel

It may fall out on its own, but is there anything I can do to remove it before it moves into his eye? Thank you!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi, if it's kitty litter or maybe some noticeable dirt, do not touch the dirt that is in the eye, what you can do is have someone hold your kitty and you hold his head and with your thumb and index finger, gently spread his eye open and blow a little hard (short burst) from an angle (not directly into the eye), meaning blowing the debris away from his eye.

Today, my boy had a piece of litter in his eye and I blew it away as what I described above. Also sometimes he does have some other dirt in his eye and I did the same thing.

Hopefully the kitty litter is not absorbing the tears and start to harden else it's be extremely uncomfortable for him and may cause an injury to his eye.

If you have eye drops meant for cats (DO NOT USE HUMAN OR DOG'S EYE DROP), drop some into the eye to soften the kitty litter and take a warm moist soft towel and gently wipe off by the eye lid.

Or else, please bring him to the vet so that they know what to do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If you need to get eye drops to clear the debris from his eye, call the vet and ask what OTC product is safe. Whether it is kitty litter, or something else, hopefully using eye drops to wash the eye a bit will get rid of it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use artificial tears, but I am sure he will remove it himself if it is bothering him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

georgsloth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, if it's kitty litter or maybe some noticeable dirt, do not touch the dirt that is in the eye, what you can do is have someone hold your kitty and you hold his head and with your thumb and index finger, gently spread his eye open and blow a little hard (short burst) from an angle (not directly into the eye), meaning blowing the debris away from his eye.

Today, my boy had a piece of litter in his eye and I blew it away as what I described above. Also sometimes he does have some other dirt in his eye and I did the same thing.

Hopefully the kitty litter is not absorbing the tears and start to harden else it's be extremely uncomfortable for him and may cause an injury to his eye.

If you have eye drops meant for cats (DO NOT USE HUMAN OR DOG'S EYE DROP), drop some into the eye to soften the kitty litter and take a warm moist soft towel and gently wipe off by the eye lid.

Or else, please bring him to the vet so that they know what to do.
Thank you! I blew it as you said, he seemed slightly uncomfortable but it's gone now and everything looks alright. I don't have any kitty eye drops but if I see anything form in his eye I'll buy them.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you! I blew it as you said, he seemed slightly uncomfortable but it's gone now and everything looks alright. I don't have any kitty eye drops but if I see anything form in his eye I'll buy them.
Oh good to hear that you managed to remove it. I know it's very uncomfortable if you have someone in the eye. Sometimes we hoomans get it too and that's how we get it out by blowing it off if we can.

Just observe that the eye is normal and not reddish as in bloodshot or teary or have any other abnormalities. If such things shows, best is to bring your kitty in to the vet for a proper check.

Last edited: