Dinner time craziness!

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm ready to pull my hair out. I have three cats. I feed them twice a day. They all eat in separate places so I know they eat. In the past, my vet said they were fed enough, and they all have very healthy weights. When I go to feed them, they lose their minds! They trip me, I almost step on them, and they aggressively steal food out of my measuring cup. They fight each other to get into the food storage container (fight as in push each other, nothing severe). They cry. It's complete chaos! I often end up spilling their food all over the floor because of it. This has been going on for a couple years, but it seems to be getting worse. I don't know what to do. I need help! Any tips? I wish I could just free feed at this point, but I can't because of the dog and because I'm completely convinced they would just consume it all at once because of their obsession. Help. 😢

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Free feed your cats and you'll lose all control!

Belle used to jump up on the counter and get in the way when prepping her food and getting in under my feet. But I found that if I make Belle part of the feeding ritual, and delayed feeding her until she showed good manners, she started settling down.

Do you play with your cats before feeding? Play before feeding will help siphon off their energy. Make them work for their food. I only have one cat, but after play and before feeding, I take her dish and have her follow me. First, I present a finger and tell her "Belle, come" and wait until she touches her nose to my finger tip. Sometimes it takes a minute or two but she is a cat! Then, I tell her "Belle, follow" and guide her with the food dish. I tell her "Belle, jump" and tap on chairs and other places where I want her to jump. She doesn't obey perfectly, but the ritual reduces the chaos.

Training three cats is a bigger challenge, but it can be done. Ignore your cats completely when they show bad behavior and reward for ten seconds of good manners, you can greatly reduce the craziness at feeding time. Remember to be firm. Cats will test to see if you mean it. Give in even a little and they've got you! Unless the cats behave, they don't get food.

I would set some rules with the cats-
- Cats must stay out of food storage
- Cats must not interfere with food prep
- Cats must not get underfoot
- Cats must be quiet while food is prepared

Any violation of the rules means the meal is delayed. Use their food obsession to your advantage.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm ready to pull my hair out. I have three cats. I feed them twice a day. They all eat in separate places so I know they eat. In the past, my vet said they were fed enough, and they all have very healthy weights. When I go to feed them, they lose their minds! They trip me, I almost step on them, and they aggressively steal food out of my measuring cup. They fight each other to get into the food storage container (fight as in push each other, nothing severe). They cry. It's complete chaos! I often end up spilling their food all over the floor because of it. This has been going on for a couple years, but it seems to be getting worse. I don't know what to do. I need help! Any tips? I wish I could just free feed at this point, but I can't because of the dog and because I'm completely convinced they would just consume it all at once because of their obsession. Help. 😢
That's like having 3 Peaches! What a nightmare that would be. She steals food and I have started locking her in my bedroom so I can prepare the food then feed her in my bedroom. If I don't she jumps on the counter,put her down, then jumps right back. 10x til I finish preparing her bowl. I have started hissing when ever she starts to eat one of my cats food. If I turn around she will steal food right when my cats fixing to take a bite then growls at me if I take the food away. If you have enough rooms, keep them separate. Free feeding you would need to watch their weight plus once they start they will always expect to eat that way and may not be able too in the future. I have also discovered food my cat peaches doesn't like, rabbit. I have to be careful not to feed her too much. Picking at my other cats food makes her throw up from eating too much

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Another idea is to clicker train them to come or sit. I bought 3 pack clickers online. Cut up a treat in quarters. Eventually your cats will know whichroom to go to for food