Dinner Dilemma

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We're having friends in for dinner next Saturday night, followed by a night of playing cards. I have never cooked for these people, other than I made a chocolate cake with PB frosting when they had us for dinner a while back. And I'm not sure what to make. And I don't know why it bothers me so much!

I've narrowed it down (I think) to two menus

Apple cider BBQ chicken (in the NFG)
mac and cheese
broccoli salad
fresh homemade yeast rolls (with cinnamon butter)
applesauce
maybe a few pickled eggs
lemonade cake for dessert with a plate of Christmas cookies

lasagna
broccoli salad
garlic-parmesan yeast rolls (with garlic butter)
applesauce
freezer cabbage (my pickled cabbage).
lemonade cake for dessert with a plate of Christmas cookies

Blush wine for both menus....red wine is starting to give me bad headaches. I would have an appetizer tray, so we have a little to munch on while whatever I decide on is finishing up. (I thought about apple pie for dessert, but the husband does not enjoy apple pie. I thought about a mandarin orange and pecan salad, which is totally decadent, but the husband is not a big salad person. I think he might eat broccoli salad, though.)

I'm wondering it people aren't tired of poultry as we just had Thanksgiving. I can make the lasagna the night before and throw it in the fridge. I'm just not sure what to do. Which menu would you enjoy? Thoughts?

And again, for some reason, this really bothers me. I think it's because it's the first time I've cooked for them. I'm really nervous. Thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go with the lasagna. You might offer just plain butter too, some people don't like garlic (or the cinnamon with the other) I know my husband wouldn't eat it. They both sound yummy to me, but anything you can make the night before helps too!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go with the lasagne. I am not sure about the applesauce--with either menu.

Some people do not care for pickled eggs... unless you are certain, they do.

Just my opinion... I have strange tastes....

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Another lasagna vote! 👍 You can't go wrong with Italian. I agree on omitting the pickled cabbage, more of an acquired taste and we all know what cabbage makes you do, lol.:flail:

I wouldn't worry or be nervous since you're an excellent cook and your friends are lucky to have you make dinner/dessert for them.:hugs:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have never cooked for these people, other than I made a chocolate cake with PB frosting when they had us for dinner a while back.
What did they have? That might help give you an idea of what they'd be expecting you to serve.

Of your 2 menus, keeping in mind I have a boring palate, I'd simplify it, and go with
lasagna
broccoli salad a regular salad with mixed greens (since the husband isn't a salad person, I doubt he's a broccoli person, though I suppose you could ask the wife)
garlic-parmesan plain yeast rolls (with garlic butter *and* regular butter)
applesauce
freezer cabbage (my pickled cabbage).

lemonade cake for dessert with a plate of Christmas cookies :yummy::yummy::yummy:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why don't you ask the friends what they like to eat and any dietary needs / preferences they have? I don't think I would expect a guest to eat everything that is made. Make enough of the entree and a side or two to serve and don't feel bad if something doesn't get eaten much if at all. Plain rolls with a choice of plain or flavored butter should make everyone happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys. I'm looking at the lasagna, too. Although Rick said yesterday, "Dear, filled pork chops would really be good!" No, no, no! Don't confuse me any more than I already am!

I'm going with lasagna, Japanese milk rolls (so soft and decadent), a plain salad, and the lemonade cake.

Thanks!

She had made ground beef bbq with scalloped potatoes, and doctored baked beans. She apologized for the meal, but it was really good! I thought so anyway and so did Rick.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We're having friends in for dinner next Saturday night, followed by a night of playing cards.
So how did it go, did they like the lasagna? I'm sure it was delicious and they appreciated your home cooking. :yummy:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Why was I so worried? It went well! Thank you, neely neely for asking. :hugs: I really was worried.

We ate until we exploded....all of us. Before dinner, I had put out some appetizer-type foods, so they could have something while the lasagna was baking. We drank two bottles of wine. They brought a bottle of white for me because I'm trying to stay away from red wine (headaches).

They loved the lasagna so much that they took leftover lasagna home, along with some yeast rolls and some cake. I had made a lemonade cake for dessert.

We had such a good time!