Dilemma Re Aquisition Of New Kittens

Catsrexceptional

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We reside in Australia,have had up to 4 fur babies ,last one died of pancreatitis at 9 idiopathic ie not known cause and the other of old age at 18 They all got on famously
X 2 - 4 year olds have acquired FHV1 one suffers seasonal asthma( winter )managed by aerocat inhaler ventolin and flixotide ;the second much loved has recently developed corneal ulcer and prescribed ocuflox and lysine. We had ordered another 2 from reputable breeder,but decided not to proceed due to the fact that this may stress the much loved Cat with eye issues
I am now seeking fellow cat lovers opinions .My husband feels that we could persevere with the aquisition or maybe not . Any experience with our dilemma would be most appreciated.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We reside in Australia,have had up to 4 fur babies ,last one died of pancreatitis at 9 idiopathic ie not known cause and the other of old age at 18 They all got on famously
X 2 - 4 year olds have acquired FHV1 one suffers seasonal asthma( winter )managed by aerocat inhaler ventolin and flixotide ;the second much loved has recently developed corneal ulcer and prescribed ocuflox and lysine. We had ordered another 2 from reputable breeder,but decided not to proceed due to the fact that this may stress the much loved Cat with eye issues
I am now seeking fellow cat lovers opinions .My husband feels that we could persevere with the aquisition or maybe not . Any experience with our dilemma would be most appreciated.
Personally, I would never buy living beings because my ancestry and history would never allow for that. And while one cat languishes in a "shelter" or on the streets for want of a loving permanent home, I believe it is callous and uncaring to "breed" cats. So I would adopt cats from the "street" or "shelter".

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is always stressful trying to integrate cats into a household, no matter where they come from. Last time we brought in new ones, it took FIVE excruciating months to achieve some sort of peace, and from then on it was really just a truce, but the existing residents never actually got along with the newbies, they simply co-existed. I'm sure that is not always the case, but it was in our household. Why I don't know, and we followed all the integration guidelines to the T :sigh:.

So...I guess it just depends on your cats and how well they can handle stress, and how bad the FHV1 really is. When that one has an outbreak, is it really bad, or just so-so. (it sounds pretty bad if he developed a corneal ulcer, or was that the result of something else happening?) If one or both stress easily, I would probably hold off on any adoptions, at least until you see if you can get it under control with the L-Lysine on a twice daily basis.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are not as much as a stress inducer as adults. They may be wild and annoying to older cats, but can provide an amusing entertainment too. Two would be better, they would play with each other and not annoy the adults so much. I am always amazed to see my grizzled old feral tomcat, who chases and terrorizes every adult cat that dares to come onto his territory, allow tiny kittens to bite him, climb all over him and generally be a pest. They are definitely more tolerated than any adult. If the introductions are done slowly, and I really don't think they will take long at all, I think an introduction of two little fresh breathes of air wouldn't be as bad as you think. Yes it will take a while, ALL cats, even in the best of health don't like change in the dynamics of their kingdom. But it could also provide a break from boredom, and provide them with a living action show to keep them interested and energized. Just make sure they can observe and still feel safe, like up on a table, etc. All the luck and keep us posted!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When I brought Peaches in at 5 weeks my 12 yr old cat did not like her. Now Peaches is 5. Josie is her mentor. Now they lick each other. When Maggie was 3 months, Peaches adult they played together when Maggie was adult Peaches did not like her. Maggie does surprise attacks which Peaches does not like. My old cat Josie acts like the referee when they fight. Then I brought CoCo in. Extremely sociable but Maggie will not let her in the living room, her territory. You never know what a cats true personality is until they're adult. Either 2 kittens or go to a foster and get a friendly adult cat. Adult starts at 1 yr old. My bedroom is Peaches. She does not like Maggie being on but will accept CoCo and usually me. Depends on Peaches attitude.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My oldest and longest resident kitty has FHV and we've successfully added 3 additional kitties to our home since we've had her. If you use calming agents such as feliway if available where you live and do a proper, slow introduction, I think you could successfully integrate new kitties into your home with little to no problems with your resident kitty.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the number 5 :), 7 notice the extra work. Sounds like it depends on
your cat's eye issue, if you can offer that cat a special place away from the others
he/she knows has her own spot, easy to manage well. Seniors can tolerate accept kittens.
But needs quiet time a place spot to retreat to. Didn't quiet understand if yours are indoors or not but walking with harness leash keeping indoors helps prevent injuries, infections etc
Adding only acquired a huge cat tree stand a few years ago, very important to own when you have a few cats.

Last edited:

Wobblescat3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definatly wait until you have your current cats health in check before adding any new guys, stress is a major complicating factor for a cats health, as a vet tech I strongly urge you to wait. As far as getting them from a breeder, even a reputable one you will also be exposing your current cats to a whole host of possible pathogens, not to mention that most "breeds" have poor genetic diversity and are more prone to developing health issues, you'd be better off adopting a bonded pair of young cats from a shelter, that way they will have each other to lean on during the stressful time of intergrating with your current guys and will not be as intrusive as adding two strangers to the mix.