dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
4D3DEE8D-E5E1-4028-A21A-CF000C0281DA.jpeg
8BFFE2CF-2DC6-4D13-ABBA-288BE08B7A8A.jpeg
B0AE3FC6-7A48-41AF-8CF8-66D02CE2D659.jpeg
94799FB0-5FD0-418A-81C9-A8BAFAAE1FE7.jpeg
I will try to keep this brief and post in point form.
-started feeding a feral Tom 1 1/2 years ago
-he does not appear to belong to a colony...he looks to be a loner
-a month and a half ago he got into what I assume was a catfight...he looked like a junkyard dog
-he recovered from that, but it was obvious from the cat traffic that other cats were after him
-we added an upper level to the existing catio and trapped him
-he has been neutered, rabies shot, flea and worming, but he had ear mites
-the vet treated the earmites, but he has been scratching the sores behind the ears
-looks like he keeps opening the one wound
-the vet gave me antibiotics and another dose of meds to deal with the mites, however, there is no way to get this stuff between his shoulder blades.
-I can’t get near him
-any suggestions.
-Iwill post some pics of his living quarters

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That is wonderful what you have done so far for this guy!!!! Is there any kind of follow-up for the ear mite treatment than can be done via food? Why was one mite treatment not enough?

The antibiotics will help with him continually irritating the wound. So, that is good news. How about putting some calming products in his food as well? Just to make him a bit more calm. There are a host of calming products on the market - that can be put into food, so you might have to experiment.

Are you working on 'taming' him at all - with treats, or whatever might work to get nearer to him?

I know you hate to hear this, but he may need another trip to the vet for another treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good idea about the calming products in the food. I will check this out. As to another vet visit, that’s not likely. I am unable to get him in a position to trap again.
He never was one I could get close to. He does not really respond to treats. Over time, I might be able to get him settled. But, he needs this med in the next few days.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could ask your vet about giving him gabapentin and you might be able to get him back to the vet that way. It is a pill that you can put in food and it will slightly sedate him. It can't be used for a free-roaming cat, but for one who is confined and already seen the vet, like your guy, it might work.

I had mixed results with using it for a semi-feral cat who I eventually brought inside after three years of feeding and sheltering her outside. It takes a few hours for the gabapentin to work and I didn't wait long enough and I ended up chasing the cat around the room, which was not fun. The other time I used it, I lured her into a carrier before she got too sleepy and that worked really well. I will try it again if I need to take her back to the vet, and my vet said she can also sedate her a bit more if necessary.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might also actually consider something like Gabapentin just enough to sedate him so that you can administer the ear mite treatment, a opposed to taking him back to the vet. Gaba can be given orally in his food.

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The set up of the catio really makes it difficult for me to retrieve him no matter how he is sedated. I guess I am just checking to see how or if anyone else has figured out how to administer meds between the shoulder blades. He is really wary now.

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ll check with vet tomorrow re: the gabapentin. This sounds like a possibility. Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hope other members come up with some other innovative ideas! If not, it isn't great that he be sedated daily for getting him ear mite treatments, but it's better than nothing. I commend you for your efforts!! You will eventually get Tom to be your buddy, I know it!!!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When my semi-feral cat was outside, sleeping in the sun, I snuck up on her and got a little bit of flea medicine on the back of her neck before she woke up and ran away! But it sounds like you can't get that close. I don't know anything about other ways to get rid of mites, but maybe there is something you can put in the food? Good luck and keep us posted.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used a padded stick to apply ointments with. I start by either doing it when they are asleep or using the stick as a petting tool or toy. I let them understand it won’t hurt them and then apply the ointment to a removable pad. ( rubber bands hold it on) it might work but I don’t know how quickly this cat would accept it near him. There is also building a tube of wire mesh to scoot him into. As a comparison, it’s like using a chute to run cattle through. Once in, you shut the ends and stick the stuff through the mesh and onto the neck, then open the end for him to run back out. The way you have him situated is a great space but it might be hard to work this too. Maybe you can find a spot to use one of these methods. I hope he will socialize enough later that you don’t run into this problem again. It’s hard to deal with. I have one that will do anything to avoid flea meds even though she is inside now. I have a large fishing net. I just put it over her and she understands that she can’t leave but at first it caused some panic. You’d think at this point she would just let me put the stuff on here. :dunno: I hope you can get the meds in him. I think you’re great for helping him. :goldstar:The outcast kitties always break my heart. Please let us know how he does!