Dilated eye 4 days post eye procedure

selketine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. One of our cats had something in his eye and it was closed, irritated, etc. We took him to the vet who said there was something in there so he sedated the cat briefly and washed it out. We have several drops to put in his eye but none cause dilation. His eye looked much better even later that evening and looks great now except that it is completely dilated. The vet said the dilation would go away 24-48 hours and it's been 4 days now. He is acting normally and back to his old self and doesn't rub or favor his eye in any way. I'm calling the vet tomorrow but.... any thoughts on what is going on? He is 3 years old.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Do you know what the vet used to wash out your cat's eye? That may be the culprit that caused it to be dilated for so long. But I'm glad he is acting normal and back to his old self.:lovecat2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selketine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Do you know what the vet used to wash out your cat's eye? That may be the culprit that caused it to be dilated for so long. But I'm glad he is acting normal and back to his old self.:lovecat2:
I don't know what he used exactly. I did google all the eye drop meds he gave us to put in his eye post-procedure and none dilate eyes. I just think it's weird that he said that the dilation would be gone by 48 hours and it's been 96+ hours at this point. I'm going to call the vet but at least I don't think it is urgent since our kitty guy is acting totally normal. Just weird!

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you know if they dilated his eye(s) for the exam? Or for pain treatment? I’m wondering if they put cyclopentolate in at the office and it’s just taking longer than usual to wear off. Or possibly atropine but I’m sure they wouldn’t have told you it would wear off in 24-48 hrs if they used that, as that one does take much longer (2 wks or so) to wear off. Please keep us updated!

selketine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you know if they dilated his eye(s) for the exam? Or for pain treatment? I’m wondering if they put cyclopentolate in at the office and it’s just taking longer than usual to wear off. Or possibly atropine but I’m sure they wouldn’t have told you it would wear off in 24-48 hrs if they used that, as that one does take much longer (2 wks or so) to wear off. Please keep us updated!
Hmm...I don't know exactly. I'm not sure why they'd dilate his eyes to begin with but he's a good vet so I'd think there's a reason. The vet called to check up on him the next day and I asked about the dilation and he said 24-48 hours. He did go over with me the whole list of charges and medicines used but I didn't get a copy of that so I'm not sure. I called him around lunch time but he didn't call me back which is surprising so I'll try again tomorrow. The cat's eye still looks the same and he is acting normal otherwise.

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They may have dilated him to see better inside his eye, or to help resolve inflammation or pain. Hopefully all will be back to normal soon!

selketine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I never found out what was used to dilate his eyes but the vet did call back and say it could take more time and indeed it has. His eye isn't 100% back to normal but it's getting there.