Dilated Cardiomyopathy

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

So my Fat Kitty Banjo went in for some test (blood test, urine test, cardiopet PNB and xrays) as he is scheduled to had an extensive dentistry on the 19th. Well, xrays show that he has DMC. His heart is pretty large and I'm scared. We've known since the beginning that he's had heart issues (heart murmur grade 3/6), but never thought it would of gotten this bad. He also has very high blood pressure (first time getting his pressure taken and he was at 280!! Now he's down to 160, but still needs to go down)

Basically, I'm here because I need support and advice. Has anyone had a pet with this disease? What did your vet do? Is there any kind of medication the vet can give you?

I can't help but feel guilty. Did I wait too long to get his pressure checked out? Did I feed him the wrong food (raw)? My vet (who is also my boss) reassures me that it is genetic and isn't my fault, but still. Can't help but feel like poop about all this.

If anyone can send some much needed healing vibes Banjo's way, I'd appreciate it!
46344389_10161065012155524_9086756110785839104_n.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Burt had the same thing. He developed it as he got older. When he was 11 or so the vet started him on Lasix which I gave him stuck to a piece of bacon with a small torn off part of a Pill Pocket for cats, or hidden inside a piece of cheese. He lived until 16 and died of cancer. The lasix thickens the blood so the heart doesn't have to pump so much to get blood to circulate. It also releaves the fluid that accumulates around the herat and lungs from an inefficient heart. It was the only med he was on.
My advise is love him as much as you can, you know about this now, and it is the first step to controlling it and giving him some good years. It is a very common diagnosis in cats and they have come a long way. As for dental surgeries, my Burt had dental work at 15, teh vet gave him a light sedative, not the really deep one they usually use so it was better for his heart. I avoided any unnecessary surgeries or dental work that wasn't causing pain, he was stressed just too much going to the vet. my Burt lived a good, long, happy life, and I pray your little one will too!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have personal experience but during this grain-free commercial food and DCM investigation discussions I heard from the report and several sources diet change improved DCM for the better in dogs.

If I were you, I would switch to the food the vet recommends and see how things go.

EDIT: Grain-free isn't necessarily the evil here by the way. My own cat is on a grain-free diet because she has grain intolerances. And FDA's still only an investigation, mostly focused on dogs. Just to say a diet change might help because it's a change from the time he developed DCM.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have personal experience but during this grain-free commercial food and DCM investigation discussions I heard from the report and several sources diet change improved DCM for the better in dogs.

If I were you, I would switch to the food the vet recommends and see how things go.

EDIT: Grain-free isn't necessarily the evil here by the way. My own cat is on a grain-free diet because she has grain intolerances. And FDA's still only an investigation, mostly focused on dogs. Just to say a diet change might help because it's a change from the time he developed DCM.
The reason he is on raw is because he doesn't do well on a grain based food. We constantly had skin issues and other health issue . I'm now looking into supplements to add to his food. I have 3 cats, 2 of which are on vet food, but it just doesn't work for my tripod kitty! :(
I do appreciate the advice though!
My vet just messaged me that it could also be HCM, but we won't know until we do more test. my poor baby. Never catches a break.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason he is on raw is because he doesn't do well on a grain based food. We constantly had skin issues and other health issue . I'm now looking into supplements to add to his food. I have 3 cats, 2 of which are on vet food, but it just doesn't work for my tripod kitty! :(
I do appreciate the advice though!
My vet just messaged me that it could also be HCM, but we won't know until we do more test. my poor baby. Never catches a break.
All the best wishes to your way! I hope you get the best news possible :hearthrob:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a pretty cat.
I hope you'll get good news. My guess is it is genetic and not related to diet, grain free foods are usually higher in potatoes, peas, and beans and a raw diet usually does not contain these things. Could you feed more taurine rich meats like beef, chicken or turkey hearts?

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a pretty cat.
I hope you'll get good news. My guess is it is genetic and not related to diet, grain free foods are usually higher in potatoes, peas, and beans and a raw diet usually does not contain these things. Could you feed more taurine rich meats like beef, chicken or turkey hearts?
Thank you for the message! I got him some more beef and also added omega 3 oil and will be adding taurine to his diet as well. I'm just waiting for the supplements to come in!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I also believe this is genetic and that there is nothing that you did or did not do which caused this. It is very common in boxers and it is not like every boxer owner in the world fed the wrong food.

I lost a cat to DCM several years ago.....but I am not trying to scare you. The vet was not on top of the original symptoms when he could have been treated successfully. You should go forward with any proactive treatment or medication that you see fit for your boy. He is adorable, sitting there in his French basket.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys,

So just thought I'd give everyone an update. So his ProBNP came back completely normal. We still believe he has heart disease, but aren't exactly sure if it is DCM. The only way we would know, would be to do an ultrasound, but that is very expensive (roughly about 800$). So, what my vet and I have decided is to go ahead with the dental work that is scheduled for the 19th. The reason why is that he has an abscess in his tooth, which is causing him some nasal issues as well. So unfortunately, we don't really have a choice. If it was only preventive dental work, then I would of put it off, but this is making his quality of life not great. Can't lie, I am TERRIFIED. I was suppose to work that day, but I had to switch days with another girl. I just won't be able to concentrate, knowing my cat is in the other room getting surgery that could kill him. My boss will do EVERYTHING in her power to make sure it goes well, but damn. I'm still so scared. Please be sure to send Banjo some good luck vibes next Thursday! He will need it! <3

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason why is that he has an abscess in his tooth, which is causing him some nasal issues as well.

Could you get a second opinion from another vet on this? I'm not a vet that I could suggest nor disapprove a treatment of course but what if the test said she's not eligible for sedation? Weren't they just going to give her antibiotics to save some time? It seems risky to me to get this operation done without heart test but I might very well be missing a few things.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is definitely risky, but unfortunately, I don't have the money to do both an ultrasound and dental work. He's needed the work for many months now. They'll be doing everything in their power to make it as fast and as careful as possible. 2 vets will be on site, as well as 2 vet techs (usually only have one vet and one vet tech).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like they are taking extra precautions. Because they know he may have heart problems, they are forewarned and will know better how to approach it. I will pray for your little boy, I know he will come through fine! Please try to relax, take care....