Digging

aliens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, 

My cat Chip likes to dig, is that unusual?

He always goes outside and comes back with spots of dirt on his nose

As you can see in the photo.

Do cats usually dig? Or is something wrong??

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Beautiful little boy you have.

Cats with outdoor access will usually dig when they need to poop or pee. But they also like to play around and dig from time to time. My boy, Link, likes to help out when humans are digging by making the holes larger or just laying in them to test them out. I've also caught my girl, Rocket, digging at grassy clumps and then bounding off like a crazy child. Sometimes they may be going after something they saw moving around. During the summer I've seen mine dig little furrows in the ground to get at the cooler dirt for a quick nap. 

Just like with people, some cats will have favorite activities. With my cats, Link loves logs (Linkin logs, lol) while Rocket will rub against any rock she can find. Sounds like Chip loves dirt and digging. Absolutely nothing wrong with him.

And Link didn't dig that hole, we were putting in new sprinklers and he was testing the holes for us. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

aliens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great! Thank you so much for telling me that.

By the way your cat is adorable 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my kids dig in the litter box ALL the time, so I assume they would outside too - they are all indoor only. Oscar tries very hard to dig to the bottom of the litter box, no matter how much I put in there. Pea-Pea isn't quite so desperate to reach the bottom, but does like to "dig" at the sides of the litter box a lot.

aliens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two of my kids dig in the litter box ALL the time, so I assume they would outside too - they are all indoor only. Oscar tries very hard to dig to the bottom of the litter box, no matter how much I put in there. Pea-Pea isn't quite so desperate to reach the bottom, but does like to "dig" at the sides of the litter box a lot.
Great thanks,

By the way they're adorable!

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Missy (now 1 1/2) started digging when she was about 8 to 9 months old. She got extra motivated to dig, once she discovered that she could catch worms by digging. Maybe the chicken inspired her to do so; when she was small, she observed the chicken with patience and seemed facinated by their behaviour. Now she lost interest in the chicken, but when it starts raining, Missy starts digging. By the way ... she does not eat the worms; she prefers to play with them, as a toy.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Atticus, my neutered gray tabby who's just shy of two, used to put his front paws in his covered litter box and then commence digging.  He would be half in and half out and litter would go EVERYWHERE.  I eventually solved this problem by purchasing a very tall Rubbermaid storage container and filling it eight to nine inches with litter.  Both my cats are young enough as to where they are perfectly fine jumping in and out and it has totally solved my digging issue.  Given leave to do so, Atticus would dig his way to China.

aliens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Missy (now 1 1/2) started digging when she was about 8 to 9 months old. She got extra motivated to dig, once she discovered that she could catch worms by digging. Maybe the chicken inspired her to do so; when she was small, she observed the chicken with patience and seemed facinated by their behaviour. Now she lost interest in the chicken, but when it starts raining, Missy starts digging. By the way ... she does not eat the worms; she prefers to play with them, as a toy.
That's cute!

aliens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Atticus, my neutered gray tabby who's just shy of two, used to put his front paws in his covered litter box and then commence digging.  He would be half in and half out and litter would go EVERYWHERE.  I eventually solved this problem by purchasing a very tall Rubbermaid storage container and filling it eight to nine inches with litter.  Both my cats are young enough as to where they are perfectly fine jumping in and out and it has totally solved my digging issue.  Given leave to do so, Atticus would dig his way to China.
LOL well thanks for telling me!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
My Honeybee digs in the gardens. She chases moles. MAybe he is chasing something. She likes to dig big holes in her catbox too or at least make a huge mound of kitty litter over her mess..I can always tell when it's her and not Pumpkin face-she makes a mountain!

Honeybee has successfully caught a few annoying moles/voles in my yard. She sits and watches the hole and waits for them to come out. then pounces on them. She then brings it to daddy to show how much she loves him and lets it loose in the house.
  We haven't stepped on any dead critters but eventually the critters end up back in said cat's mouth and then we dispose of it far away outside so she can't find it.

bella lago

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I use a similar container for a litter tray and it has really saved my floors.

aliens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My Honeybee digs in the gardens. She chases moles. MAybe he is chasing something. She likes to dig big holes in her catbox too or at least make a huge mound of kitty litter over her mess..I can always tell when it's her and not Pumpkin face-she makes a mountain!

Honeybee has successfully caught a few annoying moles/voles in my yard. She sits and watches the hole and waits for them to come out. then pounces on them. She then brings it to daddy to show how much she loves him and lets it loose in the house.
  We haven't stepped on any dead critters but eventually the critters end up back in said cat's mouth and then we dispose of it far away outside so she can't find it.
That's cute!