"Digest this: Kibble may actually digest faster than raw"

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:lol3: Love that title.

Sorry - keep forgetting to post this!

OK - so it is ONE dog. Totally not controlled - but I love this. It's one of those raw feeding myths that we can't find any basis in fact, yet we all have repeated it. So a vet decided to challenge it.

But ... doesn't it make sense that kibble would digest faster? Anything ground up tends to digest faster. And we know from human nutrition that carbs digest faster than protein. So ... :dk:

http://therawfeedingcommunity.com/2015/01/08/digest-this-kibble-may-actually-digest-faster-than-raw/

*I* wouldn't want to feed kibble with raw other than during a transition because I don't want to feed kibble - and there are concerns the kibble may be contaminated with bacteria.

But for those that want to feed kibble and raw - go ahead. Don't worry about the timing. If your kitty gets an upset stomach or gas - then yes, separate them.

Last edited:

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a wonderful little proof of concept study!

I'd already figured that the fast-transit theory of raw was probably not true.  I sometimes take my kitties to my mom's house for a few days.  They eat cat grass in my apartment and the grass comes out in their poop, and it's quite easy to spot.  At my mom's house, there is no cat grass but there is grass in their poop for a couple of days, at least.

They don't eat kibble, but my niece gave them a can of Friskies for Christmas, all nicely wrapped and under the tree, which for Lord knows what reason they love beyond measure.  I let my niece feed it to them with fingers crossed that no diarrhea would result.  About 36 hours later out came the kind of smelly poop that thanks to raw food I never have to deal with.  Pretty easy to guess that it was the Friskies.

southpaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Love this. I've never mixed with my cat, but frequently feed raw/kibble together with my dogs. I never thought the myth made any sense and have never had problems with my dogs, but it's nice to see at least someone looking into it.

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what a cool article.  i think that was so informative, including the radiographs and everything.  what a patient borzoi that must have been!  thanks for the article @LDG!