Difference Between Cassia And Cassia Gum?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that some canned foods list 'cassia' as an ingredient, and others list 'cassia gum.' Is there a difference? I like to keep tabs on which products contain which gums and whatnot, and wasn't sure if I need to include 'cassia' in the gum column. ;)

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What I could find is cassia is the actual bark from a tree closely related to cinnamon. However I know cat food brands can be sneaky on what they label things as sometimes so perhaps cassia to one company is the same as cassia gum to another company. Would probably be best to email and ask.
The specific definition of cassia gum is a flour created from some Asian legume (Chinese senna) type plant. Both cassia and cassia gum are widely used in Asia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I could find is cassia is the actual bark from a tree closely related to cinnamon. However I know cat food brands can be sneaky on what they label things as sometimes so perhaps cassia to one company is the same as cassia gum to another company. Would probably be best to email and ask.
The specific definition of cassia gum is a flour created from some Asian legume (Chinese senna) type plant. Both cassia and cassia gum are widely used in Asia.
Thanks much!

I did e-mail one of the companies, and the nice lady who replied to my inquiry didn't know how to answer my question. She did, however, tell me which of their products DIDN'T contain cassia if that was an issue for our kitties.

Guess I'll e-mail the other company in a bit after I've had a caffeine fix or two. :)