Difference Between Amoxicillin & Clavamox?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The doctor changed Hannah's medicine to Clavamox to help clear up the URI she's had since we got her a couple of weeks ago. What's the difference between the two? Anyone know?

Stephanie

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think clavamox is a stronger and better antibiotic... I have gotten better results with clavamox when my cats have been sick.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clavamox is amoxicillin plus clavulanic acid. It is the same as the human drug Augmentin. Clavulanic acid targets a particular class of bacteria that are resistant to plain amoxicillin, which means it clears up some infections that are not responsive to plain amoxi.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by semiferal

Clavamox is amoxicillin plus clavulanic acid. It is the same as the human drug Augmentin. Clavulanic acid targets a particular class of bacteria that are resistant to plain amoxicillin, which means it clears up some infections that are not responsive to plain amoxi.
And I can personally attest to the almighty power of Augmentin. It nearly kills you before it saves you, but it will knock out almost anything you've got.

Semiferal, does it make sense to go straight to Clavamox in the first place, or would that only contribute to the same kind of problems we humans have with overuse of antibiotics causing bacteria to develop resistance so rapidly?

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if the illness is mild it's better to try amoxicillin first. But for a more serious illness it makes sense to try to knock it out on the first try so you'd probably go to a stronger antibiotic right away in that case.

I think the issues of antibiotic resistance are less serious in cats because they aren't over-medicated the same way kids are, and there aren't the same issues with hospitals. But still, it's smart to be aware of the possibility for resistance and take precautions like finishing all prescriptions.