Dieting a cat without losing my mind?

nebulousmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it has come to my attention that Bumi is... a bit overweight. Chunky, if you will. And I would much rather curb this while I can rather than wait for it to cause health problems. I know that the most ideal way to do put the cat on a diet would be to feed them both at a set time, separately, instead of free feeding.

Here's the problem...

Bumi is, unfortunately, an exceptionally smart cat. Or hes exceptionally more of an asshole than most. I struggle to tell the difference If there's not enough water in his bowl, or there's a hole in the food or even if the food is too low, he causes... problems. He jumps on the counter. He scratches at the cupboards so much I have baby locks and hair ties to prevent him from getting in. He tries to yank my mirror off the.wall. No manner of deterrent will prevent him from accomplishing his goal of getting food. He doesn't meow, unless you're up and near the kitchen and he thinks you might listen. No, he will be as much of a problem until you find out why he's being a problem.

So, I ask you, humbly. How can I diet this rat bastard without losing my mind in the process. Because this will be a battle of wits and I am, unfortunately unarmed.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for laughing but I have a problem child to!

My advice ? Don’t. Rather limit their treats to something like 3-5 temptations a week, start feeding them a healthy wet food while trying to limit their dry to 1/2 dry or less & lastly switch them to a healthy dry food. If need be you can put them on diet dry food. Expect this process to take 6 months to get them used to eating the new food and a year go a year and half to loose the extra chunk.

I noticed that my cats were getting a bit overweight. So I reduced them to 3 treats per week. Both cats lost a pound in a year. I did nothing else and they didn’t loose more than that. Still for a cat that is great & it didn’t require the pain of putting them on a diet. The old guy is a geriatric with kidney failure and I wish he was a pound or two overweight again! You might try giving him a smaller bowl of dry food.

⭐once they taste fancyfeast they will never eat healthy wet food again. Once they taste fish they will never eat chicken or turkey. I would suggest looking for a wheat free dry food with a good protein amount of 35-45%.

⭐Diet dry food only has a Lowe calorie count because they spray less fat on the outside of the food pellets. Dry food is Frosted Flakes for cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is Bumi? If he's young, you might be able to help him slim down by playing with him more, or encouraging him to be more active. 7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active – TheCatSite Articles

And are you certain he's overweight? Some long haired cats can look bigger than they actually are. Here's a TCS article Is Your Cat Overweight? – TheCatSite Articles that might be helpful.

Also, a couple on food / feeding in general:
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat? – TheCatSite Articles
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food – TheCatSite Articles

Since he's so smart, he might enjoy food puzzles:
Amazon.ca : cat food puzzles

Ellis75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree a puzzle feeder or a slow feeder that makes him work for his food might help, if transitioning him to meal times doesn't work. I would also just add, make sure you get him checked out by his vet if you haven't recently, because there are some medical conditions that cause cats to be hungry all the time. Best to rule that out first if it hasn't been checked :)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weight management, for humans or pets, is a game of inches.

One extra treat or going without food for a whole day won’t make a lot of difference. Small changes over time are what makes us gain or lose weight.

We might gain a pound or two after eating a Thanksgiving Day feast but, if we maintain a healthy diet for the long haul, those extra pounds won’t add up. Same goes for cats. An extra Temptations treat won’t hurt if it’s not a daily thing.

Too many people think that going on a diet means starving themselves and that’s what leads to dieting disaster.

Just feed a little bit less each day. If you normally feet a half cup per day, try going down to a third. Maybe just a spoonful less, per day, will do the trick.

Just, whatever you do, stick to your guns.

This isn‘t something we can change in a week. It takes months or even years.

Like i said, this is a long game. ;)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So it has come to my attention that Bumi is... a bit overweight. Chunky, if you will. And I would much rather curb this while I can rather than wait for it to cause health problems. I know that the most ideal way to do put the cat on a diet would be to feed them both at a set time, separately, instead of free feeding.

Here's the problem...

Bumi is, unfortunately, an exceptionally smart cat. Or hes exceptionally more of an asshole than most. I struggle to tell the difference If there's not enough water in his bowl, or there's a hole in the food or even if the food is too low, he causes... problems. He jumps on the counter. He scratches at the cupboards so much I have baby locks and hair ties to prevent him from getting in. He tries to yank my mirror off the.wall. No manner of deterrent will prevent him from accomplishing his goal of getting food. He doesn't meow, unless you're up and near the kitchen and he thinks you might listen. No, he will be as much of a problem until you find out why he's being a problem.

So, I ask you, humbly. How can I diet this rat bastard without losing my mind in the process. Because this will be a battle of wits and I am, unfortunately unarmed.
Have you tried raising the bowl. My cat drinks more now and easier to feed. I bought tall whisker bowls online or something from your house. Which fancy feast do you feed him?the classics are OK. If he is senior, when did he last see a vet? Other ff are high in carbs and more fillers. My cats have scheduled feeding 3x a day.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Here's the problem...

Way to many calories in dry food. I would check this web site out for food suggestions and contents on wet food.
Commercial Cat Foods
Get your cat to wet to many health issues with dry food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebulousmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for laughing but I have a problem child to!

My advice ? Don’t. Rather limit their treats to something like 3-5 temptations a week, start feeding them a healthy wet food while trying to limit their dry to 1/2 dry or less & lastly switch them to a healthy dry food. If need be you can put them on diet dry food. Expect this process to take 6 months to get them used to eating the new food and a year go a year and half to loose the extra chunk.....
Bumi is not on fancy feast, I primarily have both cats on Simply Nourish. I've never had a problem switching between fish and others, and I actually rarely give them treats ( mostly because they really ****ing love the treats I have and literally grab my hand to get it. ) He just... he's a glutton. I may try cutting down how much I feed but again if he doesn't have enough food he riots so that's gonna be fun....

nebulousmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is Bumi? If he's young, you might be able to help him slim down by playing with him more, or encouraging him to be more active. 7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active – TheCatSite Articles

And are you certain he's overweight? Some long haired cats can look bigger than they actually are. Here's a TCS article Is Your Cat Overweight? – TheCatSite Articles that might be helpful.

Also, a couple on food / feeding in general:
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat? – TheCatSite Articles
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food – TheCatSite Articles

Since he's so smart, he might enjoy food puzzles:
Amazon.ca : cat food puzzles
Bumi is 10 months as of today or tomorrow, he is a very active cat and I have him on a fairly healthy food tho for a while I had him on a bit of junk bc I couldn't get down to the pet store and had to have stuff delivered. And I'm fairly sure he's Chunky. Nothing major, but his stomach is most definitely round and visible from above. He's a short hair so that's not the problem. Tho I may try the food puzzle thing, never considered that.

Attachments

nebulousmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree a puzzle feeder or a slow feeder that makes him work for his food might help, if transitioning him to meal times doesn't work. I would also just add, make sure you get him checked out by his vet if you haven't recently, because there are some medical conditions that cause cats to be hungry all the time. Best to rule that out first if it hasn't been checked :)
I might try the puzzle feeder / slow feeder thing. Make him think there's food at all times but have to work for it.

Tho the downside is I have 2 cats so that makes things more complicated... And he's not hungry ALL the time he's just a glutton, but I should get him checked to be sure

nebulousmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weight management, for humans or pets, is a game of inches.

One extra treat or going without food for a whole day won’t make a lot of difference. Small changes over time are what makes us gain or lose weight.

We might gain a pound or two after eating a Thanksgiving Day feast but, if we maintain a healthy diet for the long haul, those extra pounds won’t add up. Same goes for cats. An extra Temptations treat won’t hurt if it’s not a daily thing.

Too many people think that going on a diet means starving themselves and that’s what leads to dieting disaster.

Just feed a little bit less each day. If you normally feet a half cup per day, try going down to a third. Maybe just a spoonful less, per day, will do the trick.

Just, whatever you do, stick to your guns.

This isn‘t something we can change in a week. It takes months or even years.

Like i said, this is a long game. ;)
The biggest concern I have is making sure that both cats get enough. My other cat Kiki is more of a grazer, eating steadily through the day. But I suppose I could try it, cutting down in incremental amounts

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He doesn’t look chunky at all from the pics. A bit of a hanging belly pouch but that isn’t fat, it’s just something they inherit. I would talk to your vet before trying to limit his food since he is still growing. Instead substitute wet food for dry.

nebulousmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried raising the bowl. My cat drinks more now and easier to feed. I bought tall whisker bowls online or something from your house. Which fancy feast do you feed him?the classics are OK. If he is senior, when did he last see a vet? Other ff are high in carbs and more fillers. My cats have scheduled feeding 3x a day.
I don't think its a water problem, because he loves his water. Every time we get water from the fridge he yells until he gets some too, and I do have another feeder that's raised but they don't like it. He's on Simply Nourish, not the highest end brand but its got some quality ingredients with less filler than things like Purina or Whiskas. And hes still a kitten only 10 months old, last went for his last round of shots.

nebulousmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He doesn’t look chunky at all from the pics. A bit of a hanging belly pouch but that isn’t fat, it’s just something they inherit. I would talk to your vet before trying to limit his food since he is still growing. Instead substitute wet food for dry.
its honestly hard to get a picture of it, because he doesn't sit still, but while he does have a hanging belly pouch he also does have a round belly that juts out from thr side. and rather the scoop up you see in pictures (where they have that s curve in those weight charts) he has a flat line.

hes also a big cat in general. last we weighed him, 2 months ago, he was about 15 lbs i believe.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you spoken with the vet? Your vet can help you establish an ideal weight.

He is still a teenager though at 10 months and still growing. So he may not actually be fat.

nebulousmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you spoken with the vet? Your vet can help you establish an ideal weight.

He is still a teenager though at 10 months and still growing. So he may not actually be fat.
Because of Covid its hard to get the cat in for anything non-major but I may set up an appointment to see if they can actually weigh him and do a general check. he's due for one soon anyways.

and that's a fair point. he could also be putting on this weight too for another growth spurt ( God forbid, he already can reach the top of thr counter from the floor.... )

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat. I think he looks fine though 15pds is more than expected. What does your vet say? All cats look bigger like in the second. Pic. Maggie is long and skinny with curvy hips. She does look bigger in the first pic
P1000007 (1).JPG
20191101_181801-COLLAGE.jpg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I also feed my cats Simply Nourish Chicken morsals for kittens. High protein,low carb

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bumi is 10 months as of today or tomorrow, he is a very active cat and I have him on a fairly healthy food tho for a while I had him on a bit of junk bc I couldn't get down to the pet store and had to have stuff delivered. And I'm fairly sure he's Chunky. Nothing major, but his stomach is most definitely round and visible from above. He's a short hair so that's not the problem. Tho I may try the food puzzle thing, never considered that.
Oh, he's still a kitten. And "the rule" is to feed kittens as much as they want, until they're a year old. Of course, there is the rare kitten that overeats, but it's not a common thing.

I wouldn't change his calories too much, until you get confirmation from your vet that he's overweight.