Diet- Healthy Weight Loss Or Too Quick?

Neryo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I have a year old Abyssinian. He recently went for his first annual and I was told he was slightly overweight at 11.4 pounds and that he should be more around 9-10. I used to feed him one 2.8 ounce can of tiki cat a day and free fed him hills science diet dry food. The vet suggested I stop free feeding him but not to cut out the dry food completely.

I have now been feeding him 1 5.5 oz. Can of tiki cat a day and about a quarter cup of dry food at timed intervals. In total this adds up to 210 kcals a day. From what I've read online around 20 kcals per pound is healthy. Since our vet visit a month ago he has gotten down to 10.6 lbs. While this seems great I'm worried at the speed its progressing, I don't want him to develop fatty liver disease or anything but I was fairly certain this is a healthy amount of food for him. Hes otherwise totally happy and healthy. I'm keeping a close eye on him though. Should I adjust what I'm feeding him?

Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
11.4 lbs is pretty typical for a year old Aby. I have an Aby and he's always weighed around 10 - 11 lbs.

Here's a chart:

As long as your cat looks like the "ideal" picture and you can easily feel the ribs under a thin layer of muscle and fat, I wouldn't worry about weight.

210 calories daily seems about right. As long as your cat is fine with that amount and isn't constantly screaming for more food :)

Can you add more canned food to the diet and reduce the dry food? Keep the total amount of calories the same. A programmable timed feeder works great for canned food meals. Abys are known to have sensitive tummies and canned is easier to digest. Not to mention that dry food in general is known to cause all sorts of health issues in cats.