Diet change solved problem of cats fighting

purrs123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to share what I discovered in case it could help others with their cats...My two cats Ruby and Hazel were fighting multiple times a day. It wasn't the type of territorial fighting you see in outdoor cats where it sounds like they are trying to kill each other, but it was still fighting. There would be tufts of fur left behind so they were doing some damage, just not deadly. They are mother and daughter and are bonded, so I really couldn't make sense of their fighting. Well, thanks to the pandemic and me being "high risk" for covid, I'm no longer shopping in stores and only doing online orders for delivery or pickup. Which means I am not shopping at Trader Joe's anymore. The food I had been feeding my cats was mostly the canned food from TJ's. Now that I have been forced to switch brands, the cats' fighting has been reduced by at least 90%. It's like they are different cats. They go days without a single fight now. I can't believe it.
I don't know what it was about the TJ's canned cat food, but either it lacked something or had too much of something or had a contaminant not listed in the ingredients. (for example, pesticide residue on the rice used in the formula)
The brand of canned food I am feeding them now is Walmart's Special Kitty. My cats love to eat it, too. I know this sounds like an ad, but it's the truth.

Attachments

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's really weird but, interesting! I'm curious as to what would happen if you switched back to TJ's food to see if it started again. I've never heard of this before. Not saying it can't happen but it would be somewhat of a revelation I think.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t doubt that changing foods can affect behavior. I see lots of issues with all foods these days. I am also wondering if the kitties are glad you are not out shopping at TJ’s. Lol Having you at home all the time is something I am sure they appreciate. Whatever the reason, it’s great that they are calmer! This info is something I will be passing on to others. Thanks for the tip! When I was feeding well over a hundred in a feral colony I was buying Special Kitty. The cats scarfed it up! I switched when our store stopped carrying it. I was having trouble finding an online source for the food I currently use. Maybe that is another option. They turned their noses up at the expensive foods! Lol They also threw up the Fancy Feast Medleys! Ugh! Kitties!
I am going to send a link to this to another member! It may help her kitties!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purrs123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Were they different flavors? I've heard that the tryptophan in poultry (higher in the dark meat) can have a calming effect.
It seems to be any flavor of the Special Kitty food. I feed them various flavors, all are the pate type, and they are fish/poultry. Which is what the TJ's foods were, too. I'm starting to suspect it may have been iodine content. A food higher in iodine will make the thyroid put out more thyroid hormone. Higher thyroid hormone can lead to irritability, increased appetite, increased energy -- all of which could lead to cats feeling angry/annoyed/frustrated. I noticed the same thing in a prior cat years ago and I had forgotten about it until now. With the prior cat, Emma, I had been feeding her mostly canned food and some kibble and she developed symptoms of hyperthyroidism. A vet check even showed she had thyroid levels in the "grey area" meaning borderline hyperthyroidism. On a hunch I quit feeding her the canned food and went back to just kibble and sure enough, her behavior went back to normal.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, your post is just another reason why canned food rotation is important. I wonder if TJ food was a part of a rotation only, and if it was indeed iodine content causing problems, would they develop these symptoms? something to consider. I don't really trust pet food manufacturers much and I hope that feeding different brand every day, I mitigate the negative effect any nutritional issues these food may potentially have.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it like ff that has a fishy smell even if its chicken? My cats immediately became addicted to it