Diet Advice, Kidney Infections

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

My Male cat nearly 2 years old has been going from litter tray to tray today but only peeing tiny amounts.

I brought him to my vet today and he had a temperature so he gave him a shot of antibiotics and has put him on a long course of them. He also did and ultrasound on his stomach which didn't show any blockage but couldn't see much as his bladder was empty.
I have to bring a sample of urine up to be tested.

I was advised to take all cats off their dry food diet and put on mince, carrots, peas and green beans only.
None seem fond of it has anyone ever had to change to this type of diet?
If so, have you any suggestions on how to make it more appealing to them?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What the heck. How would those veggies help obligate carnivores like cats?? Absolutely take them off of dry food since your cat is having urinary issues. I would start feeding him wet food with extra water (warm) added.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If they are used to kibbles, you may struggle with this a bit. That's normal. Mix the food in with their kibbles, and slowly reduce the amount of kibbles each day. I'm not a real expert on homemade cat foods, but this article has some things that need to be considered: Homemade Food For Cats: Consider Your Recipe!.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much.
This is my first go to for all cat queries your very good.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear... your vet sounds deeply misinformed about cats.

Cats are obligate carnivores and don’t eat peas, carrots, or green beans. These ingredients can cause irritation for many cats. They need high animal protein. They also need nutrients such as taurine, or they will suffer malnutrition. What is the “‘mince” that your vet recommends?

An all wet (canned) food diet is best, especially for cats with kidney disease. They need lots and lots of moisture in their food. Choose a canned food that is low in phosphorus and high in animal protein. The Weruva line tends to match this, especially their chicken-frick-a-zee variety.

Weruva is also very smelly and may be more appealing to your cat.

A trick to help cats eat their food is to sprinkle a little bit of Fortiflora probiotic on it. Most cats can’t resist.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's what we're here for! Glad I could help get you to the right place!