Did You Spay/neuter A Cat In 2017-18?

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The local spay and neuter clinic in Tacoma WA (200,000 residents) charges $55 for spays and $30 for neuters. Low income voucher is $15 for either sex. They charge $10 for any TNR, which includes ear tipping, rabies and FVRCP. Cats must arrive in a live trap for the TNR to be considered.
I’ve done 1 TNR spay here, 2 spays, and 3 neuters.

The local mobile spay station charges $0 for spays and neuters for people who can prove low income (ie SNAP/food card/SSI paperwork).
If you don’t qualify for low-income costs it is $55 for spay and $35 for neuter. Surgery fee is waived for TNR trapped cats.
I’ve done 3 spays and 4 neuters here. They have 3 vans in different counties and stop in multiple cities. They serve 3 counties, Pierce, King, and Snohomish (about 3.6 million people total).

The mobile station offers other services if desired; $10 for FVRCP, $10 for rabies, and $10 for microchip. $10 for oral pain meds. $15 for SNAP test. Flea treatment is also $0 on occasions, or $5 when there is no funding for it.

Both are low-cost options, as local walk-in and appointment clinics quote $100-200 for desexing.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I finally remembered to check the price of my girls' spay. The vet that was used for my two gives us a break on the cost, and charges a shelter rate of $120 for females without complications. A home-owned cat would be more, but we didn't have an exact price on that.

furbabyAudi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my female kitten who was previously a feral spayed. I live in a city Boston, MA population of about 667 thousand. I got her spayed at a low cost spay clinic in Cumberland, Rhode Island. It was $75 for the spaying and all the shots that she needed.

msFriday

Smokey at 7 months and Indy at 5 years
Young Cat
Purraise
We had our rescue kitten spayed in February 2018. The cost quoted was $350 from our local vet, but that included an overnight stay to watch for complications (which I was glad for, since my granddaughter's kitten died in 2017 from complications from being spayed). I think the final bill was $385
1. Was it spaying (a female) or neutering (a male)?
Spaying
2. House pet or feral TNR?
House pet
3. Your regular vet or a low-cost clinic at a shelter/rescue?
Regular vet
4. Do you live in a rural area, small town or a city?
Small town
5. Which country or US state are you?
Virginia, US

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
1. Was it spaying (a female) or neutering (a male)? Spay
2. House pet or feral TNR? Feral TnR
3. Your regular vet or a low-cost clinic at a shelter/rescue? Neither, a mobile vet that works with the cat shelter I work at.
4. Do you live in a rural area, small town or a city? Small city
5. Which country or US state are you? NJ

It was 110 but it included an exam, combo vac, rabies shot, ear tip.
Our regular vet wanted over 300 for just the spay and exam.

lucisabsentia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got this done about three weeks ago!

1) I took in two male kittens to be neutered.
2) They are both house pets
3) It was my regular vet
4) I live in a small city
5) I live in Pennsylvania

I had two package options, of which I chose the lower cost one. The difference was the blood panel, the low cost blood panel is a typical pre-op in-house, the high cost was one that would have been sent off and tested for a more in-depth analysis.

The package includes: castration ($95), pre-op panel ($46), post-op pain meds ($10), a collar ($12.83), a course of Onsior ($10), and a microchip ($35.99). I was not given the option to opt out of any of these things, although I did not ask because I wanted them all. I believe the pain meds were for the castration, although I am not entirely sure as during the process they also both had a deciduous tooth extraction done.

Vaccines were not done as they had already been done several months earlier.

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are actually FREE feral spay/neuter clinics around where we are, in the SF bay area, that let neighborhood sites know which day and time and place. Neighbors must trap and deliver the cats and return them in caging traps. I've never used them but I see their announcements now and again on NextDoor, a neighborhood site.

Our vets (private) charge $65 to spay, $50 to neuter. They have lower charges for rescue organizations they work with, but the amount is not public inf.

Frankophile Feline Fan

Floofing the floor
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 9-week-old kitten in December for $20 and that included her shots, microchip, and spay. She was spayed 2 days prior. I got her from the Jacksonville (Florida) Mega Pet Adoption held 3x/year. I highly recommend the event for anyone in the area. Various animal rescues come together for a clearinghouse. There were a number of pets that were not only free but came with $20 Petco gift cards. Others were a nominal charge.

I’m not sure what my local spay/neuter prices are. I may make some phone calls later for your project.

I'm collecting data for a future article about the price of spaying/neutering in various locations. We won't mention any veterinarians by name but I do want to see if we can find patterns in respect to different states (or internationally) and types of area.

If so can you please let us know how much it cost you to spay/neuter a cat in the past year and a half? Please share the following in the reply -

If you didn't take a cat in to be fixed during that time period and would still like to help, I'd appreciate it immensely if you could make a phone call to a local vet or two and ask them about the prices for a male neuter and for spaying a female. Then post it here along with the additional info.

I hope that we can create a good resource together. Once we have enough data, I'm going to curate it into a detailed guide.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
spaying
House pet
At a shelter/rescue. The adoption fee, which is CAD125 for cat 6 months–7 years, 200 for younger and 75 for older, includes vet check, spay/neuter, vaccination, flea/worm treatment and microchip.
Our regular vet charged ~CAD100 for FVRCP last year, general check up included. Our area is generally considered rabies free.
city with 20,000 population
Canada

Frankophile Feline Fan

Floofing the floor
Young Cat
Purraise
May 2nd already - sorry I didn't post an update sooner! At the Saint John's (County, FL) Animal Emergency Hospital, cat spaying is $85 and neutering is $50. There is a $10 discount if you buy an annual wellness plan. This is in a small city of 14,000.

pinkgirl1225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1. Was it spaying (a female) or neutering (a male)? neutering
2. House pet or feral TNR? house pet
3. Your regular vet or a low-cost clinic at a shelter/rescue? low cost clinic at a shelter/rescue
4. Do you live in a rural area, small town or a city? city
5. Which country or US state are you? nj

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1: Shade was neutered while Noka was spayed.
2: Shade was a feral kitten my son found in our shed while Noka came from a litter born someone's pet cat.
3: We use a regular vet
4 & 5: We live in a small town/city in Dekalb county of Alabama

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both my girls were spayed in late January early February of 2018.

Spaying, they're both female.

House pet.

Raja had already been spayed at a low-cost clinic from the shelter. Mizu was already scheduled for that week so we opted to have them do it. Each cat was $150 and that includes all shots as well as a "donation" to the shelter. They charge $70.00 for the spay.

Long Island. Home to 7 and a half million people so I guess city would be the closest answer.

New York.