Did You Spay/neuter A Cat In 2017-18?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm collecting data for a future article about the price of spaying/neutering in various locations. We won't mention any veterinarians by name but I do want to see if we can find patterns in respect to different states (or internationally) and types of area.

If so can you please let us know how much it cost you to spay/neuter a cat in the past year and a half? Please share the following in the reply -

1. Was it spaying (a female) or neutering (a male)?
2. House pet or feral TNR?
3. Your regular vet or a low-cost clinic at a shelter/rescue?
4. Do you live in a rural area, small town or a city?
5. Which country or US state are you?

If you didn't take a cat in to be fixed during that time period and would still like to help, I'd appreciate it immensely if you could make a phone call to a local vet or two and ask them about the prices for a male neuter and for spaying a female. Then post it here along with the additional info.

I hope that we can create a good resource together. Once we have enough data, I'm going to curate it into a detailed guide.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a small town, 8000 in Nebraska, USA. We have two vets in town, I have been to both and both have similar pricing. I have spayed and neutered, both house cats and ferals/strays (a couple the neighbor's outside females to cut back on the explosion, oops! They tend to stay over here when they find food and he never noticed) I like the vet I with now because he has a 'chamber' to sedate ferals without handling them overmuch, and is very much concerned for my cat's health. He does make house visits too. Spaying, and with all shots, is around 165.00. Males are around 150.00 with all shots. North Platte, a city 70 miles North, has several clinics and a whole month in the fall to help with low cost neutering/spaying for 25.00. I tried it but the crying and noise for an hour in teh car had me almost crying.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too live in small town America, a small town of 5,000 in south Georgia. We have one veterinarian clinic here in town, but the one I use is in the neighboring town, 20 miles away. The 2 clinics could not be more at odds in what they charge for spaying/neutering, including shots. The vet here in town charges $60.00 for a spay, includes shots, males are $35.00 including shots. She obviously is very compassionate about the feral population explosion going on in small towns. Now, my vet charges $160.00 for a spay, which includes vaccinations, for a neuter on a male, not sure what he charges. I stay with my vet though because over the years, I have been going to him and he was very instrumental in keeping my dog Missy alive several years ago. Now that I have a cat, I still use him because I know he is good and out of loyalty, of course.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can contribute with a direct experience and with second-hand experiences, if the latter are allowed and accepted.

I had a female spayed November last year.
Two people that I know had their kittens (that they adopted from me) spayed and neutered in November 2017 and March 2018.

The cat that I had spayed is a feral who now lives outside my door.
The cats of the persons that I know were born feral, now are house cats (both indoor only).

In all cases it was a regular vet.
My vets work in a clinic 10 miles from me. They charged me 210 euro, 170 were for spaying and antibiotics, 40 for FIV and FeLV tests. They held the cat 5 days at no cost.
The other vets are practices in the city where I live. The female was 120 euro, the male 80 euro. Both include antibiotics.
In the case of a feral cat from a certified colony, the cost of the surgery is covered by the town council if I take the cat in to a vet who has an agreement with the council. A vet with no agreement could charge 50-80 euro for a feral female.

My city is 24,000 people. The town where my clinic is has about 12,000 inhabitants

Italy

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat came to me already spayed (a fact I'm thankful for every time I read a thread asking if a spay incision is healing correctly), but I got copies of her paperwork when I adopted her.

She was spayed at a low cost spay/neuter clinic in the city of Chicago, through the TNR group I adopted her from. It was $100 for the spay, $20 for the combo test and everything else like shots were listed as free.

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Female

House pet

Our regular vet charges around 100 USD for females, 90 USD for males, including 3-5 days stay (according to the need) and antibiotic shots. If you also want a full blood work (hemogram) and biochemistry blood test (they call it preanesthesic panel) before the surgery, these two tests cost around 100 USD together.
For feral cats, municipalities' veterinary services do spay/neuter free of charge.

In a city

Turkey

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neutered
Stray (not feral)
The Snap Program quoted 50$ but it's a wait
My Vet Neutered for 80$
San Diego Suburbs
USA

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had 2 kittens done, 1 male, 1 female. It was $120 for the female and $75 for the male. Price includes a Metacam shot for pain relief (not optional).

It was $50 for rabies/FVCRP vaccines.

House pets

Regular vet

Rural area, the vet I used is in a town of 2000

South Dakota

meandcaptinmeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had mine neutered (in Massachusetts) 9 years ago, so can't give recent numbers, BUT I'd like to point out, you may get a price quoted, but then your vet may add to it without reason, or even asking - just to help pay for their second sail boat. The vet I picked quoted me $190 TOTAL, for an initial exam, shots and a neuter. We got there, she terrorized my poor kitten for an hour, and then demanded $600. There was no extra that NEEDED to be done, nor had I authorized any additional procedures. She just did whatever she could think of to pad the bill, including cutting his claws which I would NEVER have allowed. But she didn't ask. She then told me the law says she can keep my loved one if I won't pay, and if I just take him I'd be arrested. This is actually true. This is the horrible laws that the terrible people you call "veterinarians" bribed legislators to get, so they can have leverage for robbing you. I had to give an awful criminal my grocery money and part of my rent to get my loved one back. I later found out about YELP, and saw that all the reviews are horror stories for this particular extortionist. (She added a couple fake positive reviews now though, I see.) This was The Worcester Cat Hospital and Bird Clinic. I find no reason not to hate all vets as being heartless vultures who don't actually care. And I suspect your question is just "market research" to see how high vets can gouge, and where's the best part of the country for doing so.

Last edited:

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in a small town of only 890 in population. In Texas. The nearest vet is 17 miles away and they charge $160. However a great pet clinic named PetPals is about an hour away and they only charge $30 for a spay and $25 for a neuter. I have taken my own pets and a few strays there. They are awesome! I think the charge only $5 extra for rabies.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took two feral cats to the county shelter last year for TNR. That included spay and a rabies shot.

Both female

Feral TNR, both are now socialized

County Shelter, Free Service to TNR ferals. Did not include vaccines other than rabies. Other core vaccines were $89 at my veterinarian.

City. One of the ferals was from a rural small town where I work. She got trapped in our warehouse after a storm.

Texas

hiiroge

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually had two fixed last year, and another who's getting fixed in a month or so

Spay for the first, and neuter for the second

Both are house pets

The female was actually adopted from a shelter, and they covered her spay at a regular vet.
The male was given to me by a friend, and we took him to a low cost clinic.

There was actually a major difference between the care provided by the two. The vet trimmed the female's claws, and took care of her when she she had an accident and covered herself in urine. They gave her a significantly higher quality cone of shame too. The low-cost clinic did the bare minimum, left our cat covered in dry urine (and ink from the newspaper they left in his kennel,) and gave us a cone that fell apart in a few days.

City

Texas

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
1.) Two females spayed
2.) House pets
3.) It was done through the shelter but it happened to be the vet I use regularly who did the surgery at her practice
4.) Very rural
5.) New York

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never used a regular vet office. This was in the Phoenix area in Arizona. Maricopa County will often offer a free voucher to a certain amount of applicants at the beginning of each month. Most of my cats were covered by a voucher, and I paid for vaccines, tests, and pain medication. I did go completely out of pocket on Stewart because he was ten months old and kind of feral, and I didn't want to wait a month for the voucher. Their prices are listed on their website.

Pricing List - Spay Neuter Clinic

Cat Spay

• Cat Spay – $51.00
  • Cat Neuter – $33.00
    Spay and Neuter prices do not include pain medication at the additional cost of $15.00

Package C – $61.00

• Includes: Rabies, FVRCP, Leukemia, Leukemia test plus FIV/Leukemia Test.

1. Was it spaying (a female) or neutering (a male)? 2 females 2 males
2. House pet or feral TNR? Everyone was chill except Stewart, but we turned him into a house cat
3. Your regular vet or a low-cost clinic at a shelter/rescue? low cost clinic - I believe the vet quoted over $200
4. Do you live in a rural area, small town or a city? the entire metro area was 4.5 million people
5. Which country or US state are you? Arizona

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
1) 1 female spayed & 1 male neutered
2) female was feral & male was a stray (both became house cats after being fixed)
3) low cost vet
4) city (population- 110,000)
5) California

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a male and a female. The female (stray) went to Central Spay and Neuter and the price was $65. The male was spraying and my regular vet could not get to him for ten days so I went to another local vet and it was $100 after my senior discount. Both included required pain shot.

Male was my purebred and the female stray ended up being a house pet.

Male to regular type vet and the stray to low cost place.

I live 15 miles from a city and take my pets there.

North Carolina

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are the prices for all cats feral or not, but if you have a feral in a trap straight from outdoors, you can apply for vouchers if you are low income to reduce the price. Once you bring the cat into your home, that is considered your pet. Upstate NY, I live in a rural area of only 669 people, but have to drive 30 minutes to the vet which is in a small town of 12,357 people:
Veterinary Clinic Prices Upstate NY:
Spay: $145
Neuter: $65
Rabies Shot: $16
FVRCP Distemper Shot: $16

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

A few of each. Our vet charges around 6,000 yen ($56) for a neuter and 12,000 yen ($112) for a spay. House pets have to be kept at the clinic over night, which costs another 5,000 yen per cat. Feral cats can be dropped of before 9 am and picked up at 5 pm, so you don't have to pay the extra 5,000.

Feral TNR.

Our regular vet, the only vet in town.

Rural area.

Yamanashi prefecture, Japan.

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
1) 1 female spayed & 1 male neutered
2) female was feral & male was a stray (both became house cats after being fixed)
3) low cost vet
4) city (population- 110,000)
5) California
I couldn't edit my post and I didn't include that it was free for both cats I had fixed. I had it done through a rescue.