Did you have a locally made children's show you watched?

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking about the ones I used to watch in the olden days. Our area had Uncle Dudley (and his magic lunch box), Clancy the Clown (dressed like a Keystone Cop) and The Peggy Mitchell Show (ventriloquist).

Peggy had her own theme song and I still remember it!
(Each day a different birthday boy/girl appeared on the show, got to blow the candle out on a cake and then get to meet one of her puppets.)

Come along with the Pegettes,
come along and you will see,
we'll sing along together and
how happy we will be,
We will have such fun
as we see them one by one,
Come along with the Pegettes and me.

I hate to say this, but I remember the song partly because I watched it when I was a teenager - I liked the Gumby and Pokey cartoons!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's see, that really take me back. We had Trooper Terry, dressed like a policeman, and some guy that wore a safari outfit, khakis, pith helmet, binoculars. It seems there was one more, but it was a very long time ago. 42 years since I was on the Trooper Terry show.
Trooper Terry had a magic screen that the birthady kid got to turn on to show the cartoons.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Blinky the Clown. I was on the show when I was 4 or 5. What is interesting about Blinky the Clown is that it was the last clown show in the US when it ended in 1998.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a folk song show that use to come on right before Sesame Street in West Virginia. I don't remember the name of it, but I can sing some of the songs.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had Marshal KGUN (the local ABC affiliate is KGUN). Bob Love dressed as an Old West marshal and ran cartoons, every weekday afternoon. He also had special guests, such as the Three Stooges and Lurch and Uncle Fester, from the "Addams Family". It was big deal, to get your birthday spanking, from Marshal KGUN (these days, he'd be arrested and/or sued).

In the late 60s, Bob switched to the local independent station and began the "Uncle Bob Sow", with much the same format, minus the costume.

Bob was much in demand, for childrens' parties and local events, even after leaving the air. He died, a few years ago, taking a big part of my childhood with him.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if "Wishbone" was locally made or not but I LOVED that show and would hurry everyday from school just to watch it.
(it's with a dog that is a story teller) another one I loved was "Timon and Pumbaa" and "Tale Spin" probably not locally made at all but I did love those shows!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Captain Kangaroo was a fave, too, though nationally broadcast. (Ping pong balls anyone?
)

I watched Wishbone, too......... as an adult!

bob'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I remember watching Major Mudd (he was dressed as an astronaut) and Willie Whistle in Boston. Willie was a clown who had a device in his mouth that made everything he said sound like a whistle. You could understand him but there was always an announcer to translate in case you couldn't. We were also able to pull in Uncle Gus from New Hampshire.

I also remember watching the local Romper Room with Miss Jean. I wanted all the Doo Bee toys!

gaia33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I loved Diver Dan. http://www.planetxmagazine.com/diverdan.html

We also had the "Lazy Z" and later that was changed to Captain Mercury and the Space Explorers. (Played by the same guy. He was the weather man. He's works, but mostly behind the scenes at another station. He's in his 80s I think). I was on the Lazy Z with my Brownie troop and I said "hello" to about 20 people, but forgot my cousin Kay. She was ticked off.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bob'sMom

I remember watching Major Mudd (he was dressed as an astronaut) and Willie Whistle in Boston. Willie was a clown who had a device in his mouth that made everything he said sound like a whistle. You could understand him but there was always an announcer to translate in case you couldn't. We were also able to pull in Uncle Gus from New Hampshire.

I also remember watching the local Romper Room with Miss Jean. I wanted all the Doo Bee toys!
I watched what Bob's mom watched!

I had Romper Stompers and a basket for balancing on my head! Miss Jean graduated from my alma mater, Salem State College. I was always disappointed, though, because she never said my name when she was naming kids that were out there watching!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Another vote for Romper Room and Willie Whistle!

I had Romper Stompers also
She did say my name once, but of course Karen is a relatively common name. At that age, I was convinced that it had to be me

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
we had one - "Mr. Peppermint" he wor a red & white striped blazer & a white straw boater. i remember watching it, but not much else. oh, we also had Romper Room - she said my name on my birthday, once. i think your parents had to send it in.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

I watched Captain Kangaroo! And Romper Room too when I was very small....
Same here!

The local children's show that I watched was called Mr.Dressup with 2 puppets named Casey and Finnegan!
It's similar to Mr. Rogers Neighbourhood and it was on the air from 1967-1996!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovemycodygirl

Captain Kangeroo!!!
Oh my gosh, I LOVED that show!!
Did anyone else ever watch a show called "romper room" or at least thats what I think it was called. I always remember watching that on Sunday mornings and having to stop watching it to go to church, and I got mad.