Did Vet Prescribe Too Much Fluids?

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My elderly CRF, 5.25 lb. cat was dehydrated and prescribed 100 ml of subq fluids followed by 50 ml every 48 hrs. She was also prescribed antibiotics for what's believed to be a UTI. After giving that first dose of 100 ml and after starting antibiotics, she is no longer dehydrated. Her gums are not tacky and her skin springs back quickly. She is drinking a lot (maybe 4 oz. per day) which is normal for her, but I'm seeing no signs of dehydration.

Obviously I will contact the vet about this but I don't expect to hear back until Friday. A tech will likely give me their own opinion before that and I don't trust their knowledge based on past problems.

Should I hold off on giving fluids until I hear from the vet? Even if she says to give them, I'm concerned. I didn't think fluids were meant to be given to a hydrated cat. As it was, it took about 20 hrs for her to absorb 100 ml. I just don't want to send her into CHF.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Back when I have had 8-10 pound males with CRF, I was giving 100ml of Ringers Solution about 2-3 times a week. So giving a 5 pound cat a 50ml maintenance dose would be similar.

If you are giving fluids on a continual supportive basis for a CRF cat, you will develop a feel for how hydrated they are - by how fast they absorb the fluids from their abdomin, their gum appearance, and the pulling the skin test.

I am not sure if giving too much fluids would hurt them.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can overload the heart with fluids by giving too much to a cat with heart failure and this can be dangerous. Does your cat have heart failure?

I think while waiting to hear from the vet, if I were you, I'd go by your feeling/judgment. You know your cat best. You could try giving her smaller doses of fluids with the idea that you can always give more but you can't take it away once its done.

Let us know what the vet says Friday!