Did This Kitten Die Because Of Us?

Hana77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While I was at school, I saw this little kitten who was curled in a ball, one of the teachers said that she was hurt, I took another glance and she was right! her leg was all bloody and I could see her bone sticking out, the teacher said that a bus or something ran over her leg, and nobody wanted to help her.
I just couldn't leave her laying there, I knew that we had financial difficulties and I had a feeling she might not make it, but as I stroked her head softly, she let out a cry, and I couldn't just leave her like that!
I carried her, and the moment I did. the stench of a rotten meat filled my nose, I knew it came from her leg, one of my friend gave me a box so I could put her in.
The first reason I think she may have died because of me was because , I may have hurt her in the process of putting her in the box, But I could swear I was really careful, and she didn't let out a cry so I thought she was fine.
the second reason was that the bus ride was a little bit bumpy, maybe it caused her more pain? maybe it speeded up the process of her dying?
then I went home, and woke my mum and sister up, we took her inside and mum sanitized her leg, she let out a small cry, we thought we were helping her, we really did, we just didn't know what to do. we tried feeding her some milk and yogurt but she wouldn't eat, we tried squirting water via a syringe into her mouth but she cried when we did so we just stopped.
Mum then called grandma and told her about the situation, and she agreed to bring money so we could go to the vet, and said she wouldn't take long as she lived like 10 minutes away from us, we had her in our lap as we waited for grandma to come, but then she started vomiting blood and passed away immediately after...
I will never forget her face while she was throwing up, or her cries of pain. maybe if I left her there someone else who had enough money to take her to the vet? should I have just left her? maybe she would have lived, or maybe I speeded the process of her death, we later found out that what she had was gangrene and it may have caused an infection to her whole body, maybe if we went to the vet earlier she could have lived, but we didn't have much money that would be enough to treat her, and one of the teachers at the school said she may need an amputation, and no vet would treat her for free, I live in a third world country where humans have problems with medical bills let alone an animal. We had no choice but to wait for grandma to come with some money.
My sister said that at least she died with people around her, but she was too young to suffer like that, she was too small to die like that.
She was later buried at the beach, it was a beautiful and peaceful place, I didn't get a chance to name her, but she deserved a name, I call her Brownie as she resembled a brownie. her fur was brown coloured, and she had beautiful green eyes.
I can't help but think that if things were different maybe she would have lived, if we had enough money at that time, maybe she would have made it, was her death because of my stupidity? did I calculate things wrong? should I have just left her because we didn't have enough money to treat her? I swear I just wanted to help her but I guess if it was someone else tired to help her, she might have had a bigger chance.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hana77, you were her hero. You must not beat up yourself on the fate of that little kitten. By the time you find her, she was too far gone, so to speak. You must hold your head up high and know that you and you alone took the time to gather her, take her home, and lover her during her last minutes on this earth. You are her hero, you saw a kitten in need, took it upon yourself to help her, love her, and do everything in your power to save her. There just was not enough time, and time is something none of us have control over. Be proud, if it weren't for you, that kitty who was too far gone, would not have had such a sweet burial on the beach. :angel:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hana, you and your family did all you could possibly do to help this little one. You gave her love and tenderness during her last hours on earth.
Brownie knew you did these things out of LOVE.. Love.. love..

You are a special person. You are a kind, caring person.. never change.

To answer your question: You did nothing at all to cause Brownie to die. You tried to help and comfort her. Who knows how long she had been lying there with her wounds festering. You tried.. You tried so hard.

I am so sorry you are feeling guilt.. please do not. You helped her with the love, and caring that only a family can give.. and she knew it. Brownie was just to small, frail, weak and too sick to respond.

It was meant to be that you found her.. think of that.. it was meant to be that this little one found comfort from you..

Thank you so much for what you did.. never stop doing it.. you are, indeed a special person...The world needs more people like you...

(((Hugs)))

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hana77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hana77, you were her hero. You must not beat up yourself on the fate of that little kitten. By the time you find her, she was too far gone, so to speak. You must hold your head up high and know that you and you alone took the time to gather her, take her home, and lover her during her last minutes on this earth. You are her hero, you saw a kitten in need, took it upon yourself to help her, love her, and do everything in your power to save her. There just was not enough time, and time is something none of us have control over. Be proud, if it weren't for you, that kitty who was too far gone, would not have had such a sweet burial on the beach. :angel:
Thank you so much , your reply made me cry. I just can't help but think about what if things were different, I am glad she was buried somewhere nice and I really do hope that she would know that me and my family really cared about her, and we really wanted to make her feel better. I do hope she is in a better place now and that she is not suffering any longer.

Hana77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hana, you and your family did all you could possibly do to help this little one. You gave her love and tenderness during her last hours on earth.
Brownie knew you did these things out of LOVE.. Love.. love..

You are a special person. You are a kind, caring person.. never change.

To answer your question: You did nothing at all to cause Brownie to die. You tried to help and comfort her. Who knows how long she had been lying there with her wounds festering. You tried.. You tried so hard.

I am so sorry you are feeling guilt.. please do not. You helped her with the love, and caring that only a family can give.. and she knew it. Brownie was just to small, frail, weak and too sick to respond.

It was meant to be that you found her.. think of that.. it was meant to be that this little one found comfort from you..

Thank you so much for what you did.. never stop doing it.. you are, indeed a special person...The world needs more people like you...

(((Hugs)))
Thank you so much for your kindness. Brownie and my other cat's death, Blanche has made me want to save cats off from the streets, but I can't help but feel fear and sadness that I may not be able to help them get better.I am scared that I may be the reason for their death cause I may have not done enough, I hope I have done enough, I hope they know that I have done enough.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You didn't absolutely nothing to hurt that little one. Without you she would have died cold and alone on the ground. Thanks to you her last moments were warm and with people who were trying to help her. With how you describe it she was likely already too far gone to save when you got her. But you made sure she wasn't alone in those last moments and you tried to help her. Sometimes being there is all you can do.

Hana77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You didn't absolutely nothing to hurt that little one. Without you she would have died cold and alone on the ground. Thanks to you her last moments were warm and with people who were trying to help her. With how you describe it she was likely already too far gone to save when you got her. But you made sure she wasn't alone in those last moments and you tried to help her. Sometimes being there is all you can do.
I guess you are right, but I can't help but feel sad that she was too far to be saved, I really wish I would have seen her earlier or that somebody else saved her earlier, I really wish we would have been able to do something more then just being with her in her final moments.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, Darlin. You gave her the kindest end to her young life that she could have hoped for. From what you described of her injuries, she was probably already septic, and very little could have been done. Even with all stops pulled out, her chances were so slight. She died with loving voices and soft hands surrounding her, and was buried with honor and love. You did a good thing. A heroic thing. We can't always win, but there is such worth in the trying.

Rest you gentle, Brownie, dream you deep. Your small life touched another, and you are not forgotten.

Mark Lehrkind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I stopped to pull a, what I thought was, dead dog out of the road but he blinked at me. I threw him in the car and tried 3 different vets that I passed on the way to work. On the last one, I finally got help. But I was too upset when they told me there was nothing to be done. I, and this was a long time ago, regret that I could not stay with a dog that I had known for less than 30minutes. You did your best, and that is more than enough. You did good, I just wish I had been as brave as you.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
You did all that you could, your act of kindness was much more than what most people would have done, but it sounds like there was nothing anyone could have done at that point even if you had a billion dollars. But like others have said, by showing compassion, kindness and love you gave that little kitty HOPE and it is just fine now, healthy and feeling fine, no more pain or suffering, and you must realize that sometimes these bad things just happen, for reasons that we might never know, but what you did was a wonderful act of kindness, and with time you will come to realize that.

THANK YOU for caring and helping that little one and for caring enough to post it on here, may you feel a bit better about this situation every day. God Bless you......:alright:

cataan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You tried to help, while everyone else did nothing. That says a lot about you. Maybe use this experience to steer your life -- become a veterinarian.

Keep in mind that the leg injury was probably not the only problem the kitten faced -- significant blood loss was likely, internal bleeding, maybe damage to internal organs.

You CARE, and that is a big deal.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gangrene takes a while to develop. The fact that other people knew of that sweet kitten's plight and did nothing to help makes me ashamed of the human race. The fact that YOU were there for her makes you an angel, and you will be blessed for your kindness.
She knew love, warmth and kindness in the last moments of her life, that is immeasurable. The fact that even without the money to help her, you tried. But I am sure it was in vain, she was too tired and hurt to go on. My heart goes out to you, I wish it could have turned out different. The good that came from this experience is that it should what a compassionate person you are, to comfort the dying is something that comes from the heart, not any book. Now that sweet little girl is laid to rest in her own spot, and will be remembered, to her that is everything. Don't dwell on her death or what might have been, you did what you could with what you had, and that was more than anyone else. Take care, thank you.......RIP precious little girl, your suffering is over, an angel helped you to cross over to the Bridge. You will be held in a loving heart, you will not be forgotten. Sleep tight, pleasant dreams little Princess!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hana, you wrote a heart breaking post and showed us the best part of a human being.
You and your family did all the best you could, all was in your power, but fate can't be beaten.
Brownie has known the warmth of a hug, the pleasure of a cuddle and more than this she has known love.
She went to the Rainbow Bridge with all these new experiences. She's been much luckier than most cats who die in the indifference of those who live around them.
Brownie has not died because of you, she had died because of others who turned their back to her. I wonder if their conscience will let them sleep at night.
But you will have beautiful dreams and live with the awareness of being a hero for making the difference in a small cat's last hours.
The world needs people like you, you deserve a bright future!