Did the cat move out?

greenergirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We brought our 2 male cats (brothers), Jason and Jasper, on vacation with us to the lake house. On our journey, we found another male stray who was very friendly so we decided to keep him. We got him fixed immediately. We had been back home for 3 weeks when Jasper disappeared, 8 days ago now.

Jason is outgoing and friendly, he was fine with the new cat after a few days. Jasper is much more of a scaredy cat, and was not at all happy about a new cat. There was a lot of hissing and an altercation or 2. All of the cats have outdoor access, but Jasper prefers to hang out on my sons top bunk or under my bed.

We live in a golf course community- there are about 100 houses on our circle. There is a large pond in the middle of the circle, and on the outside of the circle are many other ponds and golf course. It wouldn't be easy for him to leave our neighborhood. It's a very quiet neighborhood, lots of retirees- people like to walk. There are no fences, sheds or loose dogs. The lawn guys do come about once a week to mow and weedwhack.

I'm trying to figure out Jasper's psychology. It's possible that was was killed by a predator. We have owls, hawks, possibly bobcats. I want to count that out because there's not really that much open space for a bird of prey. It's about 20 feet from the back of the house to the pond, and a bunch of small trees. Jasper wouldn't hang out under the open sky. If it was a bobcat or coyote, it probably would have taken all 3 of the cats at some point or another.

Given his personality, I don't see a bad neighbor getting close enough to grab him, and I don't see Jasper climbing into somebody's vehicle.

I'm inclined to think the new cat decided this was his territory and chased Jasper away, or chased him in play and Jasper got lost. I'm also worried though that his brother never found him either. We continued to let the other 2 cats out for a few days after Jasper disappeared. Jason and Jasper are brothers and bffs. Wouldn't Jason have found his brother if he was nearby? We got a few calls from neighbors about Jason sightings and we're keeping all of the cats inside now.

I don't know what to do anymore. We made fliers and distributed them to every house in the neighborhood, posted to Next door, signed up for a few pet services that send out emails to local shelters. Jasper is fixed, chipped and has a collar. We've been out every night with flashlights, checking in bushes. We scattered his old litter around the back yard, and have food out for him in an open window.

Am I missing something?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you put out a trap for him? Can you place camera outside to see if he is coming around your area? I would also check with every local veterinarian and keep up to date with the shelters. Persistence is the key. Also check up in trees with your flashlight. I would also call his name every night and then be silent for awhile and listen.

Also, keep the new cat in for awhile because he still could be chasing him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had established cats dislike new arrivals enough to the point where someone might have left home if they were all not indoor only. If you really suspect he is out there, try everything suggested to determine what is going on and to get him back. This can be a lot of footwork but probably the only way to go.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a feeling he is out there, lying low. If you can get your hands on him, you'll need to keep all of the cats in until they have completed a successful integration. I know it's a major pain, but when a cat can access the outdoors, avoidance becomes easier than dealing with the newcomer. It's going to take time and patience, but the following articles will help.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Introducing Cats To Cats – TheCatSite Articles

And although your cats are both indoor and outdoor, you might find a tip or two to ease things while they're all inside here:

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenergirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much! I saw him 2 nights ago running through the neighborhood 7-10 houses down. We have 2 traps set, and smelly stuff all around the house. I do think he's avoiding the new cat, because he knows where his house is. We are keeping all of the cats in the house until we find our missing Jasper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenergirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Even though the cats are all indoor right now, do you think that Jasper knows the other cat is still here? If I bring the new cat to my sister's house, would Jasper sense it's time to come home?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am glad that you have at least spotted him. Hard to tell if he knows that the other cat is still at home which might depend on visual or olfactory clues that he might pick up. If you suspect that the other cat is part of this, it might not be a bad idea to bring him to your sister's if that is a safe option.

If you get him, start all over with the posts that Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 referenced about introductions.

This is a little off your situation, but does show about cat grudges and how you need to work with them. I still have Chelsea, who is 10 and not in good health with intestinal lymphoma. Three years ago, Billy, another indoor only cat whom she despised, passed on. For most of her life, Chelsea wet in soft places outside the litter box, like the corner of the kitchen floor. She was incorrigible until the day that she saw me put Billy in his carrier for the last time and then return with an empty carrier and no Billy. Ever since that second she has used a litter box, and continues to do so, even with the intestinal lymphoma. In her mind it was like "my work here is done." They never fought....it was just a slow burn of about 7 years.

I hope that you can get your baby back to safety and help him to like his new friend.